Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help... I have an '08 with leaky rear axle seals, again. Dealer replaced last year and it's started again, both sides. Has anyone had these seals fixed successfully? I read old posts on the topic and the only resolution I've seen is some had the entire differential replaced. Took to dealer yesterday and waiting for parts. He said they had to open it up to determine whether it's just the seals installed wrong or nicked or something else like a cracked case. For those who got the differential replaced - did you simply request it and they complied, or did dealer do it on their own, or did you threaten to go up the corporate chain? Am getting frustrated because this will be the third set of seals. Can anyone point me to how they diagnose the leak - I read a post where someone said they is no diagnostic section on the rear diff. in the FSM hence the reason they replace the whole thing. Thanks for listening to my rant. Other than this, I love the truck. No other problems. I just don't want a patch job done and get stuck with a huge bill since I only have another 1.5 yrs left on the warranty. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
I would deal with no one but the service manager at this point. I assume you went to the same dealership and this is under warranty, or was initially fixed under warranty.

I would have a discussion of "what do we need to do to resolve this problem, as the last three fixes have not worked." Let them know that another replacement of seals is not acceptable and perhaps you need to get a regional Honda rep. on the line to discuss the fix. Don't accept less.

I had a loss of power steering fluid issue and my dealership replaced the power steering rack the second time after finding no problems on the first issue.

Press them and don't let up, but be civil and problem/solution oriented. Remember, the dealership gets paid for warranty repairs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. I will get a regional service rep involved this time. Yes, still under warranty and took to same dealer as last time. Went in Wednesday and talked to head of service department. He said they’d call today if the parts were in and set me up with a rental car. Before I left, I asked what checks they do to determine if it’s a problem with just the seals or the differential case and didn’t get a clear answer. He said maybe the seals were nicked the last time and I thought to myself "here we go again".
Yes, I will be civil – you can’t argue with facts as the saying goes. Since I didn’t hear back from them today, I thought I’d get my ducks in a row and pick the brains of the fine people on the ROC. The ironic thing is, I did not buy from this dealer and they are willing to repair it, while the dealer I bought it from and went to initially told me they can’t do anything until I see a puddle under the car – needless to say I will never do business with them again. Thanks again for the advice.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Is there a lemon law that covers these repeated repairs? I am not saying that you would need to invoke it, but knowing your legal rights would help with pressing for a replacement of the entire component instead of repeating the mistakes of past repairs.

Best wishes. Please keep us informed of your progress.

·
Super Moderator
22,573 Posts
I'm curious if you bought this new or used. Seems there was someone with similar problems a while back but I don't know if he kept it or sold it. Just wondering if maybe you bought the same vehicle.

Edit: also, ChrisM lives in your area. He may have some service recommendations if that's of interest to you.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I had an 08 with the exact same problem...I went through 2 sets of seals..4 total...they all leaked separately but within a few weeks of each other. It's a PIA to keep checking and going to the dealer for diagnostic...then they tell you yep...it's the seals...No kidding. I was coming off lease soon at the time...last Sept. so I gave them a stupid offer on an 11 and they took it. I was going to buy the truck and that played a little part in my decision...Had to crawl under the thing every 6 weeks to check for leaks. I was within warranty and the repairs are guaranteed for a year. The service manager was a little fed up as well and was going to go for a rear diff. replacement if it happened again....My dealer never gave me a problem with repairs...they were very good about it...except for the "bring it in so we can look" when we all knew what it was...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm curious if you bought this new or used. Seems there was someone with similar problems a while back but I don't know if he kept it or sold it. Just wondering if maybe you bought the same vehicle.

Edit: also, ChrisM lives in your area. He may have some service recommendations if that's of interest to you.
Bought new - my first Honda, hopefully not my last depending on the outcome of this issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is there a lemon law that covers these repeated repairs? I am not saying that you would need to invoke it, but knowing your legal rights would help with pressing for a replacement of the entire component instead of repeating the mistakes of past repairs.

Best wishes. Please keep us informed of your progress.
Called Honda and got a case number started. Was told they would call in a day or two. Will hopefully know more early this week and post an update.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Thanks for the info. Next time you have to go under there, snap a picture so I know what to look for. :) Is it just oily on the case, or does it drip?

KeS

·
Registered
243 Posts

Err, that might have been me. It's been a while (a few months) (did the vtm-4 fluid change in between). However the leak is slow or only during certain conditions? so the dealer cleaned it up and painted the diff white. I drove it for a good while before a slow leak started to show. I need to make an appointment for them to check it out again. It seems to seep more and more over time but I never catch it actively dripping or see drips while parked. Fluid level checks yield that the level is stable.

I'll be going in for a service soon so I will report what I find.

Anyone know if the seal rides on the axle shaft or an output shaft from the diff?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just picked up the truck today. As predicted, both seals were replaced again (third set including original). Service tech said one seal was installed incorrectly which still doesn't explain why both sides leak each time. Corporate has been of no help. Said they'd call back on Aug 8 (don't call us, we'll call you deal)?? There is obviously something wrong with the way the case itself was manufactured. I'm getting sick of the whole situation and am about ready to dump this POS.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Just picked up the truck today. As predicted, both seals were replaced again (third set including original). Service tech said one seal was installed incorrectly which still doesn't explain why both sides leak each time. Corporate has been of no help. Said they'd call back on Aug 8 (don't call us, we'll call you deal)?? There is obviously something wrong with the way the case itself was manufactured. I'm getting sick of the whole situation and am about ready to dump this POS.
I didn't catch if this was covered under your 3/36 warranty or would it be covered under the extended power train warranty?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Just had my passenger seal replaced under warranty. The work order says they replaced a 'dust seal'. According to the parts diagram that's the only seal there is. It took a while before to show the leak so I'll post back in two weeks after a trip to MO. Took them 3.5 hours to have it done and the car washed. Not bad considering their shop load.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Just curious if the rear diff has a vent type valve. My last truck(Titan) was notorious for blowing axle seals. The problem was the vent valve, it was a one way valve that vented diff pressure to not allow pressure to build as the diff heated up.

Two problems would eventually develop. The valve would get stuck open and water would enter the diff. The second issue would be that the valve would operate to allow pressure to escape, but when the diff would cool down the one way valve did not allow any air to come back in and a vacuum would develop, sucking the seals in and causing the seals to leak.

·
Super Moderator
22,573 Posts
My T100 rear diff had a vent that you could remove and clean... which I did, from time to time. I had trouble with leaking axle seals on it before I did that. Not sure if removing it for cleaning made a difference or not as the truck was totaled 40k - 50k miles after having the seals replaced ($$$).

If I can remember, I'll try to take a look at the FSM and see if I can find a vent for the rear diff.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Speed, the T100 and Tundra both have that same kind of valve and designed better than out Nissan parts. Alot of the nissan guys replace the oe part with the Tundra valve.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Speed, the T100 and Tundra both have that same kind of valve and seem to work better than the Nissan part. Alot of the nissan guys replace the oe part with the Tundra valve.

·
Super Moderator
22,573 Posts
I forgot to follow up on this and re-found this thread searching for something else.

Rear diff breather:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts