Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
I realize this is an older thread, but I was under my truck today and noticed that the driver's side of the rear diff is nice and clean, but the pass side is not. At first I thought it was grunge burning off the exhaust pipe which runs underneath...do these photos look like what you folks are describing? The last time I changed the VTM+4 fluid (12K miles ago) the fluid level was fine and there are no telltale drips or puddles in my driveway...thanks! PS: my truck is an 07 with 56K miles on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
346 Posts
...do these photos look like what you folks are describing?
Interesting post, TRacer. Interesting enough to make me crawl under my truck on a nice fall afternoon to check out the rear diff. for you. Both of my rear driveshafts look like your driver’s side one. No grunge of any kind on my passenger’s side rear driveshaft. My RL is an ’07 also, with nearly 54K miles.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I realize this is an older thread, but I was under my truck today and noticed that the driver's side of the rear diff is nice and clean, but the pass side is not. At first I thought it was grunge burning off the exhaust pipe which runs underneath...do these photos look like what you folks are describing? The last time I changed the VTM+4 fluid (12K miles ago) the fluid level was fine and there are no telltale drips or puddles in my driveway...thanks! PS: my truck is an 07 with 56K miles on it.

TRacer if you have an extended warranty the first thing they'll do is clean off the pumpkin and see if its actively leaking. So you might do that one yourself before bringing it in and if it is leaking ask that they replace it. I had mine replaced 5k ago and it's still dry. ('08 passenger side too...hmm)

But from the looks of it you might have had a leak once. Mine appeared wet even though it never dripped either. The dryness seems to indicate an old leak or possible blowback from a leak or spilled oil up front?

As typical for an axle seal leak it starts very slowly and over time gets less slow. Unless mechanically damaged a seal can be watched for excessive leaking. I'm guilty of not checking unless I see a drip.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
TRacer if you have an extended warranty the first thing they'll do is clean off the pumpkin and see if its actively leaking. So you might do that one yourself before bringing it in and if it is leaking ask that they replace it. I had mine replaced 5k ago and it's still dry. ('08 passenger side too...hmm)

But from the looks of it you might have had a leak once. Mine appeared wet even though it never dripped either. The dryness seems to indicate an old leak or possible blowback from a leak or spilled oil up front?

As typical for an axle seal leak it starts very slowly and over time gets less slow. Unless mechanically damaged a seal can be watched for excessive leaking. I'm guilty of not checking unless I see a drip.
Depending on your purchase date, this may be covered under the 5yr/60k warranty. I need to crawl under my RL and take a look as well.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Sorry for bringing this discussion back up but I just picked up a 2014 Sport with 30k and both my rear seals appear they were leaking at some point and I can see traces of fluid on the undercarriage. But the traces of fluid I am seeing is brown in color like grease or gear fluid and is really tacky high viscosity.

Just to confirm there is no grease at the rear axels right? Just the VTM fluid? Maybe someone put gear oil in the in the rear diff at some point but when I changed out the fluid it Was Def VTM fluid in it and no traces of gear fluid. It was Honda maintained but they could have screwed up.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Both the inboard and outboard joints on the rear axles use grease. VTM4 fluid if it has leaked and then sat on the parts for a good while could easily look brown from the dirt and be tacky to the touch.

Where are your leaks? Is there evidence of leaking at the rubber boots? Maybe post some pictures?

·
Registered
94 Posts
So turns out the rear dust seals were leaking so i had them replaced today, when I got home I went underneath to check out the work done and i noticed i have a bit of play in the axel in between the differerential and the wheel. I can move the differential slightly by hand between the diff and wheel. I cant remember if it was like that before i had the seals done.

This normal, should there be play there? Anyone mind checking theirs out?

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
So turns out the rear dust seals were leaking so i had them replaced today, when I got home I went underneath to check out the work done and i noticed i have a bit of play in the axel in between the differerential and the wheel. I can move the differential slightly by hand between the diff and wheel. I cant remember if it was like that before i had the seals done.

This normal, should there be play there? Anyone mind checking theirs out?
Do you mean sliding side to side or rotational slop for the axle? I'll check once you clarify.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Anyone know or can comeone check? I am pretty sure there should be some play there but I checked my 2015 Pilot and that doesnt have any play/movement at all so now I am not sure.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Sorry, I lost site of this thread . . . My 14 Sport with 45k miles and with no signs of leakage at the rear diff . . .Both rear axles have a small amount of side to side play. You can feel it and you can hear it (very light clunk) when you shift the axle back and forth (side to side).

I don't think you need to worry about the side to side play. It's normal.

·
Premium Member
2,796 Posts
Sorry, I lost site of this thread . . . My 14 Sport with 45k miles and with no signs of leakage at the rear diff . . .Both rear axles have a small amount of side to side play. You can feel it and you can hear it (very light clunk) when you shift the axle back and forth (side to side).

I don't think you need to worry about the side to side play. It's normal.
According to the image below, did you test it by holding onto the actual shaft and moving it in and out of the rear diff, or you held onto the inner CV joint and moved it in and out?
If it was the shaft, can you try with the inner CV joint? From what I know, the inner and outer CV joints should stay put and the shaft moves back and forth.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts