Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aftermarket brake rotors may not fit Ridgeline (or any Honda) and may drag on the parking brake. Just wanted to potentially spare someone else the headache and additional costs that I had to deal with.

I bought these Carquest Platinum Painted brake rotors from AdvanceAuto (https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/carquest-platinum-painted-brake-rotor-rear-yh145679p/11395660-P?searchTerm=brake+rotor+-+rear).
They say "exact fit", but apparently Honda is pretty well known to have trouble with aftermarket rotors. Mine were dragging on the parking brake and needed to be grinded down to fit. Next time I need to buy rotors, I'll definitely pay extra for OEM rotors because this was a huge hassle (and surprisingly difficult to diagnose for me at least).

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Aftermarket brake rotors may not fit Ridgeline (or any Honda) and may drag on the parking brake. Just wanted to potentially spare someone else the headache and additional costs that I had to deal with.

I bought these Carquest Platinum Painted brake rotors from AdvanceAuto (https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/carquest-platinum-painted-brake-rotor-rear-yh145679p/11395660-P?searchTerm=brake+rotor+-+rear).
They say "exact fit", but apparently Honda is pretty well known to have trouble with aftermarket rotors. Mine were dragging on the parking brake and needed to be grinded down to fit. Next time I need to buy rotors, I'll definitely pay extra for OEM rotors because this was a huge hassle (and surprisingly difficult to diagnose for me at least).
I have to ask a question. The rear parking brake shoes are adjustable. Did you have the "self-adjuster" adjusted all the way in before installing the rotors?

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
After the OEMs wore out years ago, I have used EBC's Dimpled and Slotted Rotors exclusively. I believe they are much better than the OEMs. My 08 RTL will turn over 270,000 miles in this next week. More than enough miles to test the EBCs.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,113 Posts

Welcome to the ROC.

To address your point, you tried on a set from an autoparts store and it started to drag and you are quantifying that as aftermarket rotors may drag? Let alone any Honda? Where is this statement of 'Honda is pretty well known to have trouble with aftermarket rotors' derived from? All aftermarket replacement units sold in the US go through proper fitment checks prior to being made in China or Thailand, or God knows where. The statement you made sounds like you have no idea what you are talking about.
I have owned over 7 Hondas and 5 of them had rotors and pads replaced by me. I have not had this 'drag' you speak of. Just on the Ridgeline; I have installed two sets of rotors and 4 sets of pads. No drag or binding.

Check on two things 1) functionality of the brake hardware and 2) expertise of the installer.
If you installed it, redo it. If someone else installed it, take it back and tell them you have an issue. :| You should have taken it back to Advance Auto and asked them to give you another one, prior to grinding it down.

It is just stupid to grind down a rotor just to get it fit

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Welcome to the ROC.

To address your point, you tried on a set from an autoparts store and it started to drag and you are quantifying that as aftermarket rotors may drag? Let alone any Honda? Where is this statement of 'Honda is pretty well known to have trouble with aftermarket rotors' derived from? All aftermarket replacement units sold in the US go through proper fitment checks prior to being made in China or Thailand, or God knows where. The statement you made sounds like you have no idea what you are talking about.
I have owned over 7 Hondas and 5 of them had rotors and pads replaced by me. I have not had this 'drag' you speak of. Just on the Ridgeline; I have installed two sets of rotors and 4 sets of pads. No drag or binding.

Check on two things 1) functionality of the brake hardware and 2) expertise of the installer.
If you installed it, redo it. If someone else installed it, take it back and tell them you have an issue. :| You should have taken it back to Advance Auto and asked them to give you another one, prior to grinding it down.

It is just stupid to grind down a rotor just to get it fit
As I wrote above, I'll bet he hadn't adjusted the parking brake shoes. I've installed thousands of aftermarket rotors and rarely had an issue. Back in the old days when drum brakes were prevalent, I would have issues with the drums being slightly imperfect requiring a little resurfacing, but almost never with rotors.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,113 Posts
As I wrote above, I'll bet he hadn't adjusted the parking brake shoes. I've installed thousands of aftermarket rotors and rarely had an issue. Back in the old days when drum brakes were prevalent, I would have issues with the drums being slightly imperfect requiring a little resurfacing, but almost never with rotors.
I suspect the same, or the packaging had a different unit in.
I hear you on the drum brakes. I had to change my old '89 Accord LX brakes, and they were drums. After the 2nd year, I ended up swapping it out to the SE-i brakes, which were disks. Never had the issue with the adjustment after that.

I think I only adjusted the parking brake shoes on the Ridgeline once, when I swapped the rear rotors. I am in the process of changing all four corners again, and this time I got new shoes and hardware for the parking brakes.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I suspect the same, or the packaging had a different unit in.
I hear you on the drum brakes. I had to change my old '89 Accord LX brakes, and they were drums. After the 2nd year, I ended up swapping it out to the SE-i brakes, which were disks. Never had the issue with the adjustment after that.

I think I only adjusted the parking brake shoes on the Ridgeline once, when I swapped the rear rotors. I am in the process of changing all four corners again, and this time I got new shoes and hardware for the parking brakes.
The drum brakes are supposed to "self adjust" but they rarely do. I had a 4Runner for ten years. If I didn't adjust the rear brakes regularly, the front rotors would "warp". I must have gone through five sets of front rotors even keeping the rear brakes adjusted. I've never seen anything like it. They were so thin to begin with that they warped quicker after you resurfaced them. Luckily I had a repair shop at the time and my good friend was a Napa manager so I was getting them at about cost. Last I read, the 4Runners and Tacomas were still using rear drum brakes. I can't complain about the longevity. When I sold my 4Runner to my brother-in-law I had over 100k it, and the rear shoes still weren't worn out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts