Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my rear brake pads and rotors after one pad wore rite to the metal and wrecked my rotor. Ever since then my rear rotors are getting very rusty.. I bleed the brakes 3 times now and yet the back brakes seem to be not working at all on either side any idea what's going on here?

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,588 Posts
It sounds like you may have sticking slider pins. When you replaced the pads, did you check and grease the slider pins?

Rust on the rotors is pretty normal if they sit for any length of time. If your rear brakes are not working (how can you tell?), perhaps you have a problem with the master cylinder?

Are you using OEM hardware and fluids?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I greased all my sliders and pins. There rotors and pads from napa and I know there not doing anything because they are not shinny at all just rusty and I drive it every day.even when I brake I hear as slite braking sound in the rear more like rubbing then gripping..

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
You've definitely got problems back there, and if you can't see what it is, you need to get it to a brake shop where they can give you a proper diagnosis.
It really strikes me as odd that you say BOTH rears are not working. That doesn't jive well with your previous problem of one pad wearing out without the other.

Since you say you're all greased up, I'd be recommending you check that your pad have adequate clearance at the "ears". I have read of some members having problems with pads with ears that had to be ground down to get clearance (they should have just returned them); and next I would suggest that if all else is working, you may just have a bad caliper. BUT, when you throw in the "both sides" element, that kind of puts a whole new twist on things.
Brakes are important... if you can't diagnose & fix quickly on your own, you need to get it looked at by a good brake shop.

FYI, the "One pad wearing" and "Both rear sides don't work" issues sound to me like two completely independent problems.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I replaced everything with powerstop and took everything down to the metal painted it up and put new clips, pads, new boots and cleaned up the pins..so far everything is working.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,588 Posts
I'm not sure if Turbopseidon redid the work or just what. But it seems per his last post that everything is working.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I replaced everything with powerstop and took everything down to the metal painted it up and put new clips, pads, new boots and cleaned up the pins..so far everything is working.
.... and you greased up the pins & slides again too, right?
I'm not sure if Turbopseidon redid the work or just what. But it seems per his last post that everything is working.
Yeah Speed.... I just observed that he said he "cleaned up the pins".... was concerned he might have solvent cleaned and failed to re-lube. They would work fine for a while, but may cause problems down the road if not properly lubed. That's the only reason for my follow-up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts