Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered new rear brake calipers from Rockauto for my '06. They came with the bracket. They are definitely a different size from the original (smaller).
Rockauto says they only show 1 size.
Anyone have any experience with this issue?

Thanks,
Dave

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
With something as critical as calipers I would likely go with a discounted genuine Honda parts supplier and not a substitute.

www.bernardiparts.com/Honda

·
Registered
975 Posts
Good timing, I happen to be replacing my rears today too. The rears are much smaller than the fronts. They are only about half the size as the ones on the front. Really, they look like toys in comparison.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Good timing, I happen to be replacing my rears today too. The rears are much smaller than the fronts. They are only about half the size as the ones on the front. Really, they look like toys in comparison.
I thought the OP was implying the replacements he got were smaller than the OEM rear calipers.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,589 Posts
They are somewhat smaller. Thinner too, at around 10mm nominal vs 12mm nominal in the front. Both have the same service limit at 1mm. And naturally, with the rear brake bias, the rear pads wear quicker than the front pads. I changed my rear pads out in the mid-70k range while the fronts were about mid-point in wear. I figure when I change out the fronts it will be time to replace the rear pads again... or close enough.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,346 Posts
With something as critical as calipers I would likely go with a discounted genuine Honda parts supplier and not a substitute.

www.bernardiparts.com/Honda
Rockauto and just about every other aftermarket supplier sells REBUILT / REMANUFACTURED OEM brake calipers and brackets. There is a core charge that you get back when you return your old parts. The quality of the rebuild process my vary but the actual caliper body and bracket body is an OEM part. They don't typically sell new aftermarket calipers. . . There is no good reason that they are the incorrect size other than some sort of labeling / cataloging F'up. . .

By the same token I have had good luck with rebuilt caliper / brackets from reputable suppliers and would definitely use them on my Ridge. OEM new Caliper's are WAY more expensive even on line.

For instance: a new OEM caliper and bracket is $176 from Bernardi. An aftermarket rebuilt caliper and bracket is <$50 Both are OEM main bodies while the rebuilt caliper will have aftermarket pistons, slide pins and various rubber bits.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
For instance: a new OEM caliper and bracket is $176 from Bernardi. An aftermarket rebuilt caliper and bracket is <$50 Both are OEM main bodies while the rebuilt caliper will have aftermarket pistons, slide pins and various rubber bits.
With that much difference, I would likely go with a remaned as well. The quality of a rebuilt part is important, though I imagine they are mostly reconditioned similarly. Not that many parts to it anyway.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just to clarify, I was referring to the size of the rear brake calipers and brackets... not comparing them to the front.
The ones I received from RA were rebuilt units, much less expensive and are vary similar but slightly smaller so unusable. Since they only show one size I will need to check with Honda to clarify. I will let you know what I find out.

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update, turns out Rockauto sent me one correct size calliper and one that was incorrect(smaller). Boxes were marked with correct part numbers but one had the wrong part inside. There is only one size for Ridgeline rear brakes.
Cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts