Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here are some notes from my recent install of the Rear Camera. Total install time was about 10 hours. I only took a few breaks and felt I was moving pretty good. If I had to do it again I think I could get it down to 8. Sorry for the lack of photo. My camera was on the fritz.

I had the Camera Trim sprayed before the install
I did not use the 2 EPT sealers (still looking for these in the instructions)
Forgot to get touchup paint, used some red enamel laying around the house to protect the holes drilled in the tailgate.

Step Notes (These should match up to the install instructions)

3. Pull hard on the Fuel Fill Door Release Handle, it will snap out.
4. Use the KTC Trim tool to pop the clips… http://thetoolnetwork.com/panel_popper_kit_by_ktc_tool_company.html
5. I did not pull the weather stripping, but I did for the reinstall. Look at the right side for the reinstall.
7. Again, use the KTC tool
8. I left all the bracket covers in the back, lined up for a quick install.
10. I was able to remove the seat myself. I left it in the back area, it was not a problem to work around. Just push it straight up about 3 inches, pull back and sit it down.
11. Careful here, I busted one clip.
12. The upper clip does not come all the way, just pop it out a bit.
16. The left side connector came out without a problem; the right was a problem. So I left the right connected and just flipped it up onto the bed and worked around it.
17. I did remove the bumper. Some have suggested not. I plan on keeping my truck for a while, so I was worried about wear and tear on the cable. So I did use the second connector. Did as some extra time, but most was trying to disconnect the right tail light.
18. I did skip this step, but be warned. As suggested, this step seems to be here to get the left trim out without a problem. I did snap something when I removed the left bed cover and the trim does not fit back right. With a little more care removing the left bed cover it might have been ok.
24. Remove the right front anchor as well, easier to remove the front bed cover.
26. Turn the connector to remove.
36. Wait to attach the wire until you get the cable through the 10mm hole, then fish the cable out with the wire thru the slit in the bed support.
39. The label on the camera was up.
40. The clear tape is placed under the hinge part. You might want to put some tape on the underside of the hinge as well.
41. The cable goes straight down and out the little slit, not through one of the cut circles.
42. You are looking across the tailgate here, right to left.
43. Use the small wire ties. There are two distinct marking on the tape, with black tape (Honda hint here, maybe another color!). The marks are not the black tape that connects the cable protections. Leave all the connections loose, until you have the cable run correctly.
53. Again, leave the connectors loose, until you know you have enough cable in the Cab.
54. I used my son to help me push the cable into the Cab. I fished it out from the other side with him pushing.
56. Don’t forget the tape.
62. Use wire to fish the tape out of the carpet. I used a cut up coat hanger for all the “fishing” wire.
69. This piece carves out easily with a knife. I think this is to prevent rubbing of the cable. I might pull again and add some tape here.
77. I just went back through the instructions.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
wow..nothing..

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Michael, I think no one has posted because this is a job you have to be very brave to tackle. Not many people are doing this themselves. Those of you who installed yourself have my utmost respect.

It's good of you to have taken the time to post all this. Someone is going to use this. Perhaps they already have but they just didn't think to post to let you know.

·
Registered
1 Posts
After seeing how much was involved in this install from other posts it was well worth the $759 the dealer charged me to have them do it.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Michael said:
Here are some notes from my recent install of the Rear Camera.

Thanks Mucho for the tips. I just printed & will review them along with my install instructions & previous info from earlier post (w/Pics) . . . I don't remember who put it up, but I'll find it.

I have had the camera kit sitting in the garage since I bought all of my accessories (back in June/July), waiting for an opportune time, and when I decided I'd get the Retrax & tailgate lock (BasicKoncepts), I figured I'd do them all together. Well, Wednesday (12/28) is the appointed day, so I'll let you know how it goes (I'll try to get good pics). Thanks again for the lessons learned.

dNick

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thank you for the valuable notes Michael. I am thinking to install the rearview camera myself. But waiting for the weather gets warmer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts