Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Leer cap on my '18 RL and that just about renders the rear-view mirror useless. Is there a way to keep the rear camera on while driving? I see a couple of manufacturers are doing similar things to improve the view while towing (GM) or a loaded back (Land Rover).

·
Registered
838 Posts
I believe the camera only powers on while reverse is engaged. Looking at the threads on using the reverse camera with 3rd party stereo systems could give you enough information to make this happen. Basically, you just have to supply a full time 6 volt feed to the camera, bypassing the reverse circuitry (you could put a switch on it so it only stays on when you want). Making this work with a stock HU? Anybodys guess.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Basically, you just have to supply a full time 6 volt feed to the camera, bypassing the reverse circuitry (you could put a switch on it so it only stays on when you want). Making this work with a stock HU? Anybodys guess.
Nope, I've done that simple experiment. Not only do you need to power the cam and defeat the 'reverse signal' (which I did), you also need to 'tell' the Audio/NAV unit to route that image to the display instead of whatever is normally seen on the display as you are driving forward.

The latter (displaying the image from the cam) is managed by a complex logic-tree based on several A/N unit inputs - even after diligent study of the system it was beyond me to figure out how to 'trick' that into yielding the desired 'rear-view when in forward motion' without invoking other undesirable outcomes, if at all. You'll be my hero if you figure out how to pull it off DIY.

You can force it using the 'hidden' diagnostics menu but that takes lots of button pushes and overrides other A/N functions making it undesirable for practical use when driving.

@KenEsq - Honda Hack Pro Version may support what you want on the RL - I've not verified that, it's not explicitly clear to me from the website info that the feature applies to our specific Honda.

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
6,231 Posts
It might be easiest just to add another camera and display. You can get cameras as cheap as $15 or less on Amazon, and displays for $50 to $100 or more, depending on how fancy you want to get. Just gotta figure out where you want to mount the stuff.

If you tow a wide trailer, they make wireless cams with long range signal (probably bluetooth Class 1, which is good to 100m).

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
^That^

IMO a cam designed for RV trailers, mounted high on that Leer cap, would provide more than excellent rear view and IME they tend to stay cleaner in all weather than the lower mounted / OE cams (I have an early version wireless, now discontinued, on my Casita RV).

Yeah, they do involve the 'downside' of finding an acceptable location for the display. While there are some that use a discrete replacement interior rear-view mirror display, probably not appropriate for any RL with sensors in the OE mirror like my RTL-E.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Real truck drivers do not need a center rear view mirror! :devilish:

Bill
… just 80k pounds, west coast mirrors, a decal reading "If you can't see my mirrors I can't see you", and a certain amount of 'give a damn' …. :devilish::devilish:

Reactions: wjfyfe

·
Registered
838 Posts
Nope, I've done that simple experiment. Not only do you need to power the cam and defeat the 'reverse signal' (which I did), you also need to 'tell' the Audio/NAV unit to route that image to the display instead of whatever is normally seen on the display as you are driving forward.

The latter (displaying the image from the cam) is managed by a complex logic-tree based on several A/N unit inputs - even after diligent study of the system it was beyond me to figure out how to 'trick' that into yielding the desired 'rear-view when in forward motion' without invoking other undesirable outcomes, if at all. You'll be my hero if you figure out how to pull it off DIY.

You can force it using the 'hidden' diagnostics menu but that takes lots of button pushes and overrides other A/N functions making it undesirable for practical use when driving.

@KenEsq - Honda Hack Pro Version may support what you want on the RL - I've not verified that, it's not explicitly clear to me from the website info that the feature applies to our specific Honda.
You can certainly do it with a new HU, but not with the stock Honda HU (which we all know both versions are poorly designed). I am 100% certain I could pull this off with my new Kenwood HU, but since I have no reason to since I never tow, what's the point? I replaced my HU because the 5" color screen sucked so badly, I could not live with it. It literally made driving the truck dangerous in regard to using my "hands free" cell phone. Honda simply claimed my Google Pixel 3 was not compatible. It made it a hazard because every time I made or took a phone call, the HU would ask me "Hands Free?" I had to turn the dial, and push a button, while driving. This is totally unacceptable. I am just happy I didn't buy more then an RTL, because I would not have been able to fix it otherwise. Wow! WOW! I feel sorry for you guys with the "high end" units which run Android 4.4. Ouch! You cannot fix that shit! It is too integrated.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
:unsure: I guess I was misunderstanding where my original response above was about seeing around, and what is behind, the trailer while towing, but it seems that you folks are talking about wanting to watch the front of the trailer, so I just need to ask, why? :unsure:

Bill

·
Registered
26 Posts
LeXRidge wrote (in part):

"... every time I made or took a phone call, the HU would ask me "Hands Free?" I had to turn the dial, and push a button, while driving. This is totally unacceptable."

I now add:

I bought my 2019 RTL knowing that the phone/audio interface would be bad, but I had no idea how bad! The system asks the same "Hand Free?" question with every call (Samsung Galaxy S7), which is both maddening and a safety issue. What good is hands-free if you have to use your hands (and take your eyes off the road) with every call?

My previous vehicle, a 2011 Chrysler product, had Chrysler's "U-Connect" system which was truly hands-free. If Chrysler could do it in 2011, why can't Honda do it in 2019?

I love my Ridgeline, but jeez...

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
:LOL: I just happen to have a perfect solution for that problem, my cell phone is just that, a simple, plain phone, which does not connect with the vehicle. In fact, most of the time, I do not even have it turned on, especially while driving!I simply hate the distraction and invasion of privacy!

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
LeXRidge wrote (in part):

"... every time I made or took a phone call, the HU would ask me "Hands Free?" I had to turn the dial, and push a button, while driving. This is totally unacceptable."

I now add:

I bought my 2019 RTL knowing that the phone/audio interface would be bad, but I had no idea how bad! The system asks the same "Hand Free?" question with every call (Samsung Galaxy S7), which is both maddening and a safety issue. What good is hands-free if you have to use your hands (and take your eyes off the road) with every call?

My previous vehicle, a 2011 Chrysler product, had Chrysler's "U-Connect" system which was truly hands-free. If Chrysler could do it in 2011, why can't Honda do it in 2019?

I love my Ridgeline, but jeez...
I'm glad I got the RTL-E, it does nothing of the kind.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
:unsure: I guess I was misunderstanding where my original response above was about seeing around, and what is behind, the trailer while towing, but it seems that you folks are talking about wanting to watch the front of the trailer, so I just need to ask, why? :unsure:

Bill
Agree that when towing an RV or box trailer a view from the OE rear cam is useless (get a wireless cam that mounts on the rear of the trailer).

I experimented with activating the OE cam when moving forward for the situation where I'm pulling a lowboy trailer loaded with long lumber - the load is below my center mirror rear-view (blocked by the tailgate), it would be handy to 'load-spot' with the OE rear-view cam. Not a big deal, been hauling those loads behind pickups 'unseen' for years, thus abandoned the notion when it became obvious there wasn't an easy way to pull it off, no worries.

Obviously, the OP's situation with his Leer Cap is different from either of the above.

·
Registered
163 Posts
My cheapo Motorola G4 Play works hands free just fine with the 5 inch color radio, at least for incoming calls. I don't think I have or ever will try to make an outgoing call while driving.

·
Registered
69 Posts

Bill
the original poster stated that he got a Leer cap installed. So the rearview mirror was of no use anymore (the cab obstructs the view).

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have a Leer cap on my '18 RL and that just about renders the rear-view mirror useless. Is there a way to keep the rear camera on while driving? I see a couple of manufacturers are doing similar things to improve the view while towing (GM) or a loaded back (Land Rover).
I think I'm going to go with a screen that slips over the existing rear-view mirror and mount a camera somewhere on the cap. There are a million of these setups out there though and finding one that is going to work well isn't easy. I had one on an old Isuzu Trooper and it was impossible to see the image when it was light out. I'm sure they've gotten better since then.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I went aftermarket with my headunit (PIoneer) and I can activate the rear camera while driving and switch camera views. One view is aimed right at the hitch.
Can you explain how you had your backup camera hooked up to your Pioneer HU? I got my backup camera working when reversing as well as switching different views. I feel like i'm missing a connection somewhere to able to view while driving.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.