Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of getting the back up camera and have been following the posts on the site with interest.

Curious to know if anyone has regrets in having theirs put on.......if you would do it again knowing what you know now.

The reason I aks is I worry about the "novelty" affect wearing off and/or relying on it too much so that when you get in another vehicle you can't back up confidently. I get a bit of this going back and forth from my Eddie Bauer Expedition which has the sensors that I love!

thoughts?

·
Registered
535 Posts
I don't normally use the camera when backing up. It's easier to look behind me.

However when in tight spaces (narrow parking lots, street parking, etc) the camera is very, very helpful. It also allows me to hitch up my trailer easily.

I'm very happy with it

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
No Regrets! :) I use mine every night as it helps back out of a long dark driveway... even at night it helps spot walkers on the sidewalk so I have time to stop. With the highback end, it leaves blind spots where the camera helps as well.

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
No regrets here either. I have a rear camera on both the Ridgeline and the Ody. I have a long-ish driveway and lots of crazy kids in my cul-de-sac. The rear camera gives a nice panoramic view. I still turn around and look behind but the camera is a definite plus.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
I love it. It was an expensive add on, but worth every penny for us. It definitely helps when backing up and hitching up. The illumination at night is great. You still need to watch your mirrors and look over your shoulder, but this adds the ability to see almost straight under the bumper and directly behind the tailgate. The wow factor has not worn off.

It doesn't bother me to switch to driving my Jeep without it because I can actually see much more out of my mirrors and windows in my Jeep.

·
Registered
26 Posts
No regrets. Do wish I had it on all my vehicles. My driveway curves into a blind alley and the camera allows me to back up knowing the path is clear. Also it is a must have when connecting the trailer.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I have no regrets on mine. Then again, it will be a day old in an hour or so... ;)

I use it to check for things in the blind spot and mainly use the side mirrors for backing.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Only regret is not having navi to have one installed :( ,but love it on my wife's Ody... :p

·
Registered
51 Posts
no regrets. since this is my first pickup i would be very uneasy and more so for my wife about maneuvering in parking lots without it. if i were to drive another pickup then i would be quite inadequate since i do rely on it all the time but this is likely the only pickup i will drive. i do look side to side before i look at the camera but with the camera there i don't bother backing up without its help.
with a car or minivan even without a camera it's no big deal since visibility is less of an issue. i have never had an suv though.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
how much cheaper were the sensors? I must say I kind of like the audible, but I've heard that they don't lower volume of radio and the tone is a bit annoying. What's your take?

JH

·
Registered
31 Posts
My only regret is not having it mounted in the center of the gate, I am not sure why they decided to make it off center.

i love it though it is great having such a wide view of the back end, now I just need to add a switch so I can see it when I am towing.

G

·
Registered
115 Posts
The reason it is off centered is so you do not "hit" it with your wrist when you put the tailgate down. You'll see what I mean wheh you actually watch where you wrist is when you lower the gate. I was going to mount mine in the center till I observed this potential issue. I do understand that some people opted to mount it in the center.

But either way, I love the camera and use it often. Its pricey but worth the price of not backing over something or more importantly, someone :D

·
Registered
56 Posts
Excellent find on the wireless system! I would buy that and I have the NAV. That would be so much easier than trying to run that cable and drilling into the tailgate. I'll have to go see if my local WalMart has it...

·
Registered
76 Posts
vincent007 said:
The reason it is off centered is so you do not "hit" it with your wrist when you put the tailgate down. You'll see what I mean wheh you actually watch where you wrist is when you lower the gate. I was going to mount mine in the center till I observed this potential issue. I do understand that some people opted to mount it in the center.

But either way, I love the camera and use it often. Its pricey but worth the price of not backing over something or more importantly, someone :D
I mounted mine in the center over the handle. Neither I nor anyone else have ever hit it while opening the gate. If fact, I don't see it happening unless you try and lower the tailgate with one hand.

·
Registered
383 Posts
lineridgejohn said:
how much cheaper were the sensors? I must say I kind of like the audible, but I've heard that they don't lower volume of radio and the tone is a bit annoying. What's your take?

JH
I too have an EB Exped with a much more pleasant backup sensor audible, and it took a while getting used to the fact that the volume on radio in the Ridge did not automatically decrease when shifting to reverse to better hear it. I now shut off the radio every time I back up. As for the loud harsh tone, there was a ROC post (so many great ones!) suggesting to reduce the loudness, take apart the side center column panel, locate the speaker and cover it with a piece of electrical tape with a hole in it (the bigger the hole the louder the buzz). After experimenting, I now have it down to a more pleasant volume... just need to remember to shut down the radio.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Me2 said:
I mounted mine in the center over the handle. Neither I nor anyone else have ever hit it while opening the gate. If fact, I don't see it happening unless you try and lower the tailgate with one hand.
As a matter of fact, center above door handle truly is the logical location. I asked a few of my friends to open and close the rear gate. Right-handed people used right hand to pull open handle while left hand supported gate 1/3 way from the left. Opposite was for left-handed people. Closing gate required two hands 1/3 way from left and right of gate. All the time. hands were far from camera.

Try it yourself a few times and you'll see!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts