Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007. The rear catalytic converter has a hole in it or is leaking from some point I can feel exhaust gas coming out from behind the shield. My question is if I were to remove that converter and put a pipe in its place would it trigger any codes? It's after all the emissions sensors. Has anyone done this ? I can't find one locally and the dealer want a huge amount of money to fix it.

I'm a welder and it wouldn't be anything to remove the old converter and weld in a pipe.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
No. That cat is not monitored. Depending on your smog laws it will be needed when smog is due. But if you are a good welder..I am sure you can weld the hole up and not worry about it. Some vehicles have small drain holes for when condensation forms it can drain out. Usually after mufflers though and pointing down which is probably not your case.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the message. I live in New York and I know we do plug-in obd 2 for inspection but they don't check your exhaust gases or anything like that if you have no service engine lights are usually good to go. For the $15 it's going to cost me for a new pipe I'm thinking that I'll just cut out the old converter and put in the Peacepipe and see what happens. The worst that happens is I have to buy a new welding catalytic converter for $100

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
The "care about environment part of me" says to get a cat in there. But it is your truck. Do whatever the pocket book allows. You will be fine.

·
Administrator
16,090 Posts
Thanks for the message. I live in New York and I know we do plug-in obd 2 for inspection but they don't check your exhaust gases or anything like that if you have no service engine lights are usually good to go. For the $15 it's going to cost me for a new pipe I'm thinking that I'll just cut out the old converter and put in the Peacepipe and see what happens. The worst that happens is I have to buy a new welding catalytic converter for $100
Failure (or removal) of any O2 sensor and/or [monitored] catalytic converter will result in CEL which will result in failure of a "plug-in" inspection.

There are O2 "simulators" available for many vehicles that will prevent a code from setting.

The Ridgeline has 3 converters: 1 for each bank of cylinders and a third after they are combined. There are 4 ratio sensors: 1 upstream and downstream of each of the two primary converters. The third converter is not monitored. After the third converter is a resonator then the muffler. Each of these components has a heat shield.

Bypassing a converter will alter the back pressure of the exhaust system and could result anything from an undesirable shift in the power band to decreased fuel economy to engine damage. The legal, ethical, and courteous thing to do would be a proper repair instead of bypassing something. Virtually every part has an important purpose or it wouldn't be there.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
What he said. Modern engines have integrated systems that are interdependent. Mess with one you may well damage another.
Most all modern vehicles are designed to pass emissions in all 50 states. The fact one will not pass in a state with no inspection does not change what is happening under the hood.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
I'm going with the crowd. Emissions are important, also, if this was a $1000 part, I'd be looking for options, but at around $100 for the part, and it sounds like you could do the work, and have it running like it should. Also, looking down the line if you ever sold it, Personally, I wouldn't be in the market for an RL with a modified exhaust.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Just so you know, several of the folks here who have added dual exhausts or upgraded their single exhaust have done it from the J-pipe back, meaning that 3rd cat is out of the equation. I've read many threads about upgrading exhausts and nobody has had any problems after removing the rear cat. I'd do it to mine without concern.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Just so you know, several of the folks here who have added dual exhausts or upgraded their single exhaust have done it from the J-pipe back, meaning that 3rd cat is out of the equation. I've read many threads about upgrading exhausts and nobody has had any problems after removing the rear cat. I'd do it to mine without concern.
Agreed. Been running without my third cat for almost 2yrs and I have not had a single problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts