Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched but really did not find any info on the rear cv joints, my passenger side is leaking and would like to know if it's better/cheaper to change whole axle/cv included rather than replace seal ??
Thanks

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Most shops will pull and replace the half shaft also because it typically has a fair amount of wear (so they say..) by the time the CV boot looks 'wet' but is not torn.
The dealer told us the one on the passenger side of our 03 CRV is in that condition (which I verified) 4 years ago. It still looks the same today and there are still no drops on the garage floor. They gave us a quote of $269 to replace it included an alignment.
A local mechanic $200. I imagine for a Ridgeline the cost would be at least 20% more.
It is not really that hard to replace yourself, if you have (or rent) the tools.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is the output seal to the diff leaking or is the cv boot torn?
The output seal is leaking, all boots seem to be Ok, just passenger side rear

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
I would probably replace it. It is not going to get better and if worse you will begin losing VTM fluid I think.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
The output seal is leaking, all boots seem to be Ok, just passenger side rear
Is it dripping or is it just leaving some residue on the outside? If it is just some seapage residue I would leave it. But if you can put the money in it now..then have it replaced.

Do not replace axle. It is not affected at all. I don't know how corrosive vtm fluid is to rubber though. but if it is leaking that bad you should just be able to clean the boot up with some simple green and slap a new seal and vtm fluid in and be on your way.

Curious on how many miles ya got?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is it dripping or is it just leaving some residue on the outside? If it is just some seapage residue I would leave it. But if you can put the money in it now..then have it replaced.

Do not replace axle. It is not affected at all. I don't know how corrosive vtm fluid is to rubber though. but if it is leaking that bad you should just be able to clean the boot up with some simple green and slap a new seal and vtm fluid in and be on your way.

Curious on how many miles ya got?
It is not to the drip point yet just residue, it's the input seal/dust cover ? no boot is near it, where it goes into rear end....thanks

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Just a seal then.. either replace it and get it over with, or keep an eye on it for now I guess. Of course a seal is also about keeping the dirt out, but maybe more about keeping the fluid in.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sorry to revive but I have same issue on both sides, drivers side being the worst.

RTLGATOR did you ever replace the seal or just leave it as is?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts