Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
L

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
I had mine first changed at my last oil change which was at around 17K at the dealer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,056 Posts
ladyridge said:
I had mine first changed at my last oil change which was at around 17K at the dealer.
Which oil change was that (2nd, 3rd)? I saw where someone else needed it changed at 12,400 miles (corresponded with an oil change as well). I'm at 13,200 and 20% oil life left on my current oil (has been changed once) and was wondering if it would come due the same time as the oil change. I plan to do this oil change myself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
876 Posts
I just had my first oil change at about 6300 miles (at 15%), and the dealer's service manager tried to convince me I should have the rear differential fluid changed. When I balked, he said that it depends on driving conditions, and that if you drive mostly freeway, not much stop and go, no trailering, then you can wait until 15,000 miles, otherwise this particular dealer recommends 7500 miles. I'm going to wait and check with a more trusted, independent mechanic.

I remember the Acura dealer service people singing the same 7500 mile tune with our ex-MDX. And I remember being quite surprised at the cost.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,074 Posts
You should replace the rear diff oil when the Maintenance Minder shows a '6' or if you are regularly towing, operating at full load or driving offroad at low speeds, then you should change the oil at 7500 miles and then every 15000 miles thereafter. It takes 2.79 QTs of VTM4 Diff Fluid. Changing the oil comprises of making sure the truck is level, removing the filler plug and the drain plug which is just underneath it. Both are on the rear of the unit. Then replace the drain plug and add oil until it just runs out of the filler plug. You should get new sealing washers before replacing the plugs.
 
L

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
hey swampi...that was #3 oil change going in for #4 this week. :D
I decided to have the dif changed at 17K because of being weekend warriors at the track which is an hour + drive one way. Better safe than sorry I always say. I did have my 15K ( I skipped the 7,500 only got an oil change )check up at 17K, but didn't go through all the garbage they make you do. You can pick or choose in the menu of maintenance you want which is what I usually do.
I had the tires rotated, oil change, dif change, brake inspection ( for my peice of mind ) and fill fluids. Being an X Honda employee, I learned what was important and what was BS. :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,056 Posts
Lingered_I said:
You should replace the rear diff oil when the Maintenance Minder shows a '6'
I knew this, but it's nice to have an idea of what mileage this will occur at, so if I'm about to go on a trip I'll know whether to get the service early or not.

Are any special tools required to change the diff oil yourself? Looks like an allen wrench, but it seems I read someone said you needed a pump to fill the differential.
 
L

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
swampler said:
Why? Is something going on in Cleveland I should know about?




Oh yea, the Tennessee vs. Cleveland football game...I knew there was something. :D ;)
***** :( *****
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
What's up with such a short diff oil change interval? I've never heard of having to change this so often, especially in a light-duty vehicle. Even a couple of diesel trucks I've owned recommended no less than 60,000 miles.

And, oh yeah - Go Titans!

Bob in Nashville
 
L

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
mcneon said:
What's up with such a short diff oil change interval? I've never heard of having to change this so often, especially in a light-duty vehicle. Even a couple of diesel trucks I've owned recommended no less than 60,000 miles.

And, oh yeah - Go Titans!

Bob in Nashville
For me...it was because I have have 20K+ miles and I tow frequently in hilly areas. I like it better safe than sorry. :D

So Bob in Nashville, why haven't I heard from you about coming to the ROC @ the ROCK yet?? :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
460 Posts
I m wondering if changing the diff fluid early effects the maint. minder. there is no way to reset it if it hasn't given notice to change. once you set your own schedule for this type of maintenance, i think the maint. minder service reminders concerning that particular area become obsolete. i seriously think it would be better to wait on the service notice for ALL of our maintenance needs for our RLs. I was skeptical to do that at first (old school ya know), but now i see that it really appears to be the first way to go.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
mcneon said:
What's up with such a short diff oil change interval? I've never heard of having to change this so often, especially in a light-duty vehicle. Even a couple of diesel trucks I've owned recommended no less than 60,000 miles.

There are clutches in the rear differential of the Ridgeline -- you never had those on a diesel truck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
The cycle of diff changes is a bit of a pain in the "back"....more from an inconvenience than a $$ POV....Most drive thru lube joints wont have Honda diff fluid I'm thinking....could be wrong..??

I'm wondering if anybody on our board has been to any Honday Pilot sites that know if there's a good timeline or realistic interval for these oil changes......I had to change mine @ 20kms (2nd oil change). Pilots have been on the road longer and are about the same weight and power.......I wonder if anyone has had any fatal failures from not following the maint schedule. I'm guuessing half the Pilots owners that lease would probably not bother with every little thing that Honda suggests for their maintenance planner.......half of its crazy, most Honda service departments have a waiting room full of uninformed people wasting their hard earned $$..lambs to slaughter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
Desert Ridge said:
There are clutches in the rear differential of the Ridgeline -- you never had those on a diesel truck.
Okay, I can buy that. I was thinking that there's nothing to contaminate the oil back there, but wearing clutches create a different situation.

About the Pilot - does it use the same rear diff setup as the Ridgeline? I was under the impression that the Ridge had some new, heavier-duty technology back there.

Hey, swampler in Lebanon - any other Ridgelines out your way? In my disguise as a mild-mannered Realtor, I'm all over Nashville every day. So far I've seen a total of maybe ten Rigelines.

Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,056 Posts
mcneon said:
Hey, swampler in Lebanon - any other Ridgelines out your way? In my disguise as a mild-mannered Realtor, I'm all over Nashville every day. So far I've seen a total of maybe ten Rigelines.

Bob
I've seen a couple in town...a red and a white one. I've also seen a blue one in Gordonsville (about 20 miles east of Lebanon where I work). I actually saw the blue one before I got mine. I occasionally see one on the interstate going to and fro work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
668 Posts
UglyTruckling said:
I just had my first oil change at about 6300 miles (at 15%), and the dealer's service manager tried to convince me I should have the rear differential fluid changed. When I balked, he said that it depends on driving conditions, and that if you drive mostly freeway, not much stop and go, no trailering, then you can wait until 15,000 miles, otherwise this particular dealer recommends 7500 miles. I'm going to wait and check with a more trusted, independent mechanic.

I remember the Acura dealer service people singing the same 7500 mile tune with our ex-MDX. And I remember being quite surprised at the cost.
the dealer is correct, 7500 if driving under severe conditions for the first, then every 15000.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
very easy to do.:cool: drain and fill just need to go to local parts house and get a pump to suck fluild form one gallon jug
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top