Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my E last night and have a question regarding the back seat lights. When I have the lights set to "door", they don't turn off- whether driving or engine off. I have to set the lights to off to get them to turn off. All other lights work as expected once doors are closed. I have verified that all doors are closed.

Any thoughts? I scanned through the manual last night and didn't see anything, so apologies if I missed something simple.

K

·
Registered
373 Posts
Re: Back Seat Lights?

That sounds right to me, if they won't go off just click them off, now just set the light switch to on and I think they should work as you want them to. I think what the light switch does is if you wanted to open the doors and the light not come on, this is what this switch is for. I think the bed light switch works same way, but they can't be turned on and off at the light.

trainman

·
Registered
62 Posts

My rear lights were the same as your kevmac, on all the time when the main switch was set to door. But if you reach back and press the rear light it goes off any everything is fixed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

And, I'm an idiot. I didn't realize that the back lights could be toggled from the back seat. In showing off the new ride to my family last night, my kids (ages 5 and 7) probably pushed everything imaginable- including the lights. Situation resolved- thanks all!

·
Registered
13 Posts

too funny, I just went through the same thing... why the hell were the rear seat light not turning off... so I sat in the back seat and then noticed that the rear lights could also be toggled on and off.... turned them off and now everything works as it should!

·
Registered
283 Posts

Me too. Noticed them staying on the day after I bought it. Took me 30 damn minutes to figure out they were map lights just like the front ones. :surprise:

·
Registered
15 Posts

How do you turn the cabin lights on without having to open doors or turning them on themselves? Also, is there a way to dim the dash?

·
Premium Member
437 Posts

Strange...... We found that ours were on when we picked up the truck. I climbed in the back and clicked them off. I wonder if there is some setting when the dealer does the initial power-up, that causes them to come on.

·
Registered
37 Posts

Strange...... We found that ours were on when we picked up the truck. I climbed in the back and clicked them off. I wonder if there is some setting when the dealer does the initial power-up, that causes them to come on.
I noticed mine on the first evening that had the truck. Two seconds to correct, but I wonder if it is a factory or PDI thing since many are commenting on it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
2G 2018 RTL-E Interior dome light flaw

My interior dome lights can be turned off and on by a rocker switch on the overhead console. Eazzy Pezzy. They come on when the front driver's door is opened, and I have them set to fade off in 15 seconds (adjustable on the RTL-E). However, the rear seat dome light does NOT come on when the read doors are opened. In my opinion, this is just rediculous. Am I wrong about this? :nerd:

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
My interior dome lights can be turned off and on by a rocker switch on the overhead console. Eazzy Pezzy. They come on when the front driver's door is opened, and I have them set to fade off in 15 seconds (adjustable on the RTL-E). However, the rear seat dome light does NOT come on when the read doors are opened. In my opinion, this is just rediculous. Am I wrong about this? :nerd:
Going by memory... :laugh:

I believed you have to press the cover to turn them on (2 sides, L & R)...push one until you hear a click...don't forget to have the switch at the front overhead console in the door activated position. (OFF/ON/DOOR).

have not a reason to use the rear dome light yet...but I believe that's how it works. :wink:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
@UnikornKaz is referring to the MAP LIGHTS and not the DOME LIGHTS (although they are integrated)...
I have a 2019 RTL-E. My front and rear DOME lights come on whenever a door is opened, either front or rear, when the selector is in the "DOOR". They all come on when "ON" is selected. Now, if you are asking about the MAP lights, they are selected by a toggle switch in each side of the light fixture (front, driver/passenger; rear, driver/passenger).

To test, my truck is parked in the garage with engine off. I opened the rear passenger side door and rear dome light came on. Then, closed the door and waited til all lights dimmed out and off. I reached up and toggled the side closest to me and the map light came on; tested the other side too, on and off. Then repeated this for the front.

I don't know why your rear seat dome light would not come on when the rear doors are opened, unless maybe the bulbs are out or loose? You'd think at least one would come on (there are two). Perhaps there is a fuse issue? Mine do come on...

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
@UnikornKaz is referring to the MAP LIGHTS and not the DOME LIGHTS (although they are integrated)...
I have a 2019 RTL-E. My front and rear DOME lights come on whenever a door is opened, either front or rear, when the selector is in the "DOOR". They all come on when "ON" is selected. Now, if you are asking about the MAP lights, they are selected by a toggle switch in each side of the light fixture (front, driver/passenger; rear, driver/passenger).

To test, my truck is parked in the garage with engine off. I opened the rear passenger side door and rear dome light came on. Then, closed the door and waited til all lights dimmed out and off. I reached up and toggled the side closest to me and the map light came on; tested the other side too, on and off. Then repeated this for the front.

I don't know why your rear seat dome light would not come on when the rear doors are opened, unless maybe the bulbs are out or loose? You'd think at least one would come on (there are two). Perhaps there is a fuse issue? Mine do come on...
Now you got even me confused !! :laugh:

The manual referred to both front and rear as MAP LIGHTS.

The way I've indicated ( and the manual too) is...

/ You need to set the switch at the front overhead to "DOOR"...
/ The back is "clickable" on its own...BUT only related to the front switch in terms of when door is open.

So...with that said...even if you had set the front set to "DOOR"...and with door open, if you were to reach up at the rear dome and "click" it...it will still turn OFF. (only models w/moonroof)

Pg.172
Models without Moonroof:
When the interior light switch is in the door activated
position and a door is open, pressing the lens does
not turn off the map light.
THAT is why the rear won't light up even though you already had things set to "DOOR"...you need to "click" the rear once.:nerd: ( light switch in wrong position when delivered is nothing new :laugh:)

There's mentioned in the manual the different housing lay out between models with/without sunroof...I don't think that makes a difference seeing how the 3 of us owns the top trims (moonroof all around ? )

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Now you got even me confused !! :laugh:

The way I've indicated ( and the manual) is...

/ You need to set the switch at the front overhead to "DOOR"...
/ The back is "clickable" on its own...BUT only related to the front switch in terms of when door is open.

So...with that said...even if you had set the front set to "DOOR"...and with door open, if you were to reach up at the rear dome and "click" it...it will still turn OFF. (only models w/moonroof)

THAT is why the rear won't light up even though you already had things set to "DOOR"...you need to "click" the rear once.:nerd:

There's mentioned in the manual the different housing lay out between models with/without sunroof...I don't think that makes a difference seeing how the 3 of us owns the top trims (moonroof all around ? )
The only button "clickable" on the dome lights themselves are the map light buttons which have no affect on the dome lights.

In your picture, the caption clearly states "Rear - The map lights can be turned on and off by pressing the lens when the front interior light switch is in the door activated position" which I am referring to. He is asking about Dome lights, not map lights. On my 2019 RTL-E (yes, with moonroof), the dome lights do not work independently; both are on/off/door together. The switches on the front and rear (or toggles on my rear dome light) control only the map lights.

Your other quote is correct. Pressing the lens when the dome lights are on in the "door" mode does not turn off the map light because the map light only works when the dome light is off and then stays on for an extended period of time. When I let the dome lights fade out and press a map light, then open the door...both front and rear dome lights come on!

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
In your picture, the caption clearly states "Map Lights" which I am referring to. He is asking about "Dome lights. On my 2019 RTL-E (yes, with moonroof), they do not work the way you state.

On my 2019 RTL-E, the "map light" buttons are strictly for the selection of "map lights" and not the "dome lights". My dome lights work together (front and rear on/off/door) and are not selectable separately. The map lights are selectable separately. In other words, on my RTL-E, all dome lights come on or off together; the map lights are selected separately when dome lights are off.
bigger picture (wish you would take a look at pg.172 though. :grin:)

That's how I understood it...but then again...my English isn't at its best sometimes...There were prior posts about how the rear was accidentally toggle and it was one of the solution...And I have never the need to toggle the rear lights yet...so...YMMV ! >:)

Find me the word "dome light" in the manual. :laugh:

~~~

I would think that if there's 1 out of 2 things would look ODD instantly and that main thing would be mentioned...etc.

The rear are "clickable" :nerd:

I'm leaning toward manufacturer's defects. :|
Screenshot_2018-07-08-20-47-30[1].jpg

The only button "clickable" on the dome lights themselves are the map light buttons which have no affect on the dome lights.

In your picture, the caption clearly states "Rear - The map lights can be turned on and off by pressing the lens when the front interior light switch is in the door activated position" which I am referring to. He is asking about Dome lights, not map lights. On my 2019 RTL-E (yes, with moonroof), the dome lights do not work independently; both are on/off/door together. The switches on the front and rear (or toggles on my rear dome light) control only the map lights.

Your other quote is correct. Pressing the lens when the dome lights are on in the "door" mode does not turn off the map light because the map light only works when the dome light is off and then stays on for an extended period of time. When I let the dome lights fade out and press a map light, then open the door...both front and rear dome lights come on!
You calling the front DOME too ?
He is asking about the REAR (DOME/MAPS)

How many set of light do you have in the rear ?? :surprise:

There is only 1 set (2 clickable buttons)... :nerd:

leave everything about the front lights out of the discussion and only the activation switch (ON/OFF/DOOR)

I'll stop it here because the more I read your post the more I get confused. :laugh: (I think we're not assigning proper terms make it confusing )

I'll let the manual do the guiding. :wink:

I wish the OP would click them light in the back and tell us the result..etc.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
bigger picture (wish you would take a look at pg.172 though. :grin:)

That's how I understood it...but then again...my English isn't at its best sometimes...There were prior posts about how the rear was accidentally toggle and it was one of the solution...And I have never the need to toggle the rear lights yet...so...YMMV ! >:)

Find me the word "dome light" in the manual. :laugh:

~~~
OK, so HONDA doesn't use the word "dome"; most other manufacturers do. My bad:surprise:.

But for the purpose of helping the OP, I am trying to distinguish between "interior lights" as they call it (which in my mind is the floorboard, door panel, ceiling, etc.) and the map lights and how mine actually work.

I did read the manual...that's what led me to trying it for the OP...what I was trying to point out is that I went into my garage and tried a test to see how it actually works in my 2019 TRL-E. And, in my Ridge, there is no switch that controls the front and rear ceiling lights (or whatever you want to call them) independently. The only switches present in mine are the main on/door/off and map light switches. Perhaps there is another switch in other models or years, but mine does not work this way.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
OK, so HONDA doesn't use the word "dome"; most other manufacturers do. My bad:surprise:.

But for the purpose of helping the OP, I am trying to distinguish between "interior lights" as they call it (which in my mind is the floorboard, door panel, ceiling, etc.) and the map lights and how mine actually work.

I did read the manual...that's what led me to trying it for the OP...what I was trying to point out is that I went into my garage and tried a test to see how it actually works in my 2019 TRL-E. And, in my Ridge, there is no switch that controls the front and rear ceiling lights (or whatever you want to call them) independently. The only switches present in mine are the main on/door/off and map light switches. Perhaps there is another switch in other models or years, but mine does not work this way.
That is correct ! ( we are on the same page ! )

AND the rear are clickable (switch! :grin:)

·
Premium Member
267 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Too much confusion here. Let me be much more specific. My 2018 RTL-E has a DOME LIGHT on the INTERIOR ROOF above the BACK SEAT. When I press the LENS on this DOME LIGHT, the lights come on, and off. However, when I open the rear seat doors, the DOME LIGHT does NOT come on. I have found nothing in the VEHICLE SETTINGS to fix this. I have it set for the INTERIOR LIGHTS to come on when the doors are opened.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts