Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Rear Door Modification to increase opening

642K views 2K replies 475 participants last post by  SEGARE 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Update 1-22-20: New details have emerged on the 2020 rear hinges. It looks like the preferred method for 2017-2019 models who want larger rear openings should use the front door checks from 2017-2019 on the rear. The 2020 rear door checks require 2020 rear hinges to function properly on 2017-2019 models. See post #1294 for a video explanation. Thanks, gravis86!

Original Post:
I increased the rear door opening by installing a set of front door stops/ checks on the rear and it works perfectly. No rubbing or conflicts of any sort.

P/N Left: 72380-TG7-A02 (replaces 72380-TG7-A01)
P/N Right: 72340-TG7-A02 (replaces 72340-TG7-A01)

How to install in post #412 (Thanks ValJean9430)

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
After multiple threads, videos and wringing of minds over this issue, I'm amazed that you are the first to try this simple hack. Did you happen to measure how much additional opening width you achieved? If a strong wind were to catch the open door, or someone were to slip and fall against it, are you confident there would be no hinge or body damage?

#3 ·
If this actually works, there will be a run on that part in the next several days. I am waiting for the pictures.

#8 · (Edited)
I increased the rear door opening by installing a set of front door stops/ checks on the rear and it works perfectly. No rubbing or conflicts of any sort.

P/N Left: 72380-TG7-A01
P/N Right: 72340-TG7-A01
That is so awesome Kmharvs33! Great job and thank you for sharing your results and "how to" with the rest of us. That's what the ROC is all about.

It's probably safer to use the front-door stops on the rear-doors vise no door stop at all.

#1,492 ·
Readers; I just did the 'take out the one bolt-slide the checker back in, and done' method of making a wider door opening. I was not young enough to risk taking off the door panel{what happens to the push button window devices and door opening devices, when you do so- the video does not address these} And if you look at the back door hinge, you will see a heavy metal 'ear' sticking up that prevents the door for going too far. It would take a hurricane+ to force the door farther back, IMHO. I also saved $30.00USD and my sanity

#10 ·
I echo whoever said that they can't believe no one has tried this yet. This is awesome, if true. I got real excited for a minute when it looked like it was just a matter of 3 bolts. Unfortunately, I just looked at my truck, and it appears the swap will be somewhat more complicated than that. I think it will require some amount of taking the door apart. I can only guess that it will be well worth the effort, though. Again, if this is legit, I'm sure someone will have detailed instructions on here soon.

#11 ·
Last night, when I opened the thread, I was like everyone else....no pics showed, etc...there were no other posts.
Now, I can see the pics. That looks nice!

Was it easy to do?

Can't wait to see others do them as well and how it works out. The doors don't bother me as much as some, since I don't have kids with car seats, nor large dogs, etc, but their limited opening does bother me occasionally, so this "hack" would be nice.

#14 ·
Nervey's video of the untethered rear door opening seems to show a limited amount of clearance with the body and front door when the rear hinge reaches its limit. I'm curious what happens when you put a moderate amount of pressure on the fully-opened rear door with the longer front door stop hack in place. This can happen when loading a large object or when a gust of wind catches the open door. I'm sure someone will report back on any issues that arise.

If in fact there's no downside to swapping out the stops, I wonder WTH Honda was thinking with the shorter stops?! Could it be that they thought limiting the rear door swing was a good idea to reduce the likelihood of kids banging the door into adjacent vehicles in parking lots? Were they just maximizing access for the front doors with the rear doors open? It doesn't make sense to me.

#18 · (Edited by Moderator)
Yes, you have to remove the door panel to get access. See pictures for locations of screws. Once screws are removed, pull out on the bottom of the panel to disengage the clips and lift up on the panel to remove. Then you just need to disconnect the window switch and remove the door handle assembly (it comes apart as an assembly don't waste your time removing the cables individually). It's a really easy door panel to remove.

I have been playing around with the door opening some more and I am confident in this hack. It would be good to get a second opinion and have someone else give it a try. It has a bonus feature in that the front check has two detents so the door can be held at almost the same width as the original and then opened all the way for extra access. I am not sure why Honda went with a unique part for the rear. I will assume they have a very strict spec for clearance if over extended.

#19 · (Edited)
I removed the rear door panels to complete the chrome door handle swap on my RTL-T and it is not that difficult. Probably a 10 minute job on each side. Thank you, KMHARVS33!

Reactions: Vinse and K-canuk
#20 ·
My concern, is the new door stop actually stopping the door or is the hinge at its limits? I would hate to have the wind catch the door and cause some kind of damage while relying on the door stop that is too long.

Reactions: Hleau and Mejello
#34 ·
I trust what I am reading on this thread, the questions I would have asked have been answered in full ... I will officially become a beta tester also in a couple weeks...
Parts on order.

My dog is a little skittish of getting in and out because of the narrower door opening compared to my 2015 Taco, He is getting use to it, I need room to be in the door opening to assist against hard landings by lifting on my dogs harness to take some of the weight off as he jumps out... That narrow back door opening has been my only real complaint about this truck.

Thank you! That is one hellofa great first post!

#35 ·
Just received this from Bernardi..

My name is Nathan and I am writing to update you about an item you had ordered. This door check 72340-TG7-A01 is currently on national back order with American Honda. Honda has no release date. Hopefully Honda will have a release date within a few days. I will give you an update when I hear from Honda.

#36 ·
Interesting, and that didn’t take long :frown:

#42 ·
Order your parts now. Cause Honda loves raising price once the get more and figure out they are selling. Happen to us Tsx guys when we discover the brake caliper cover (with Acura logo) from the RDX would fit our TSX caliper. It was like $8, they went on back order and came back in stock at $29 after that hahaha

#43 ·
I ordered these door checks from Bernardi Honda yesterday and received this note today:

This door check 72340-TG7-A01 is currently on national back order with American Honda. Honda has no release date. Hopefully Honda will have a release date within a few days. I will give you an update when I hear from Honda.

I guess the ROC has already wiped out the available supply!