Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

81 - 100 of 1364 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Thank you, @kmharvs33,for trying this and providing the part numbers. I'll ALSO be ordering the parts! :smile:

EDIT: I have also ordered through my local dealer. The left side will be in tomorrow, the right side is on backorder with no ETA. $12.97 each, and I am supporting my local dealership.

Edit #2: My parts guy told me that there are (3) shown available in the US. I'm pretty certain that many of us will not get them tomorrow!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Kinda hard to truly relate just how much of an improvement it is.

At the narrowest point, between the front of cup holder and the rear edge of the door opening, I gained approximately 1.5".

I know that doesn't sound like much but trust me, having the rear portion of the door more out of the way makes quite an improvement in access.

Yesterday I picked up a telescope tube that the seller had fitted in a trunk; this trunk *barely* fit in the rear door in stock configuration. I'm sitting there at the guy's house, trying to massage this thing into the back seat without scraping the door panel or ripping off the moulding; the whole time I was thinking about my outstanding order at Bernardis and just SMH... that extra 1.5" would have made all the difference in the world.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That is great! I could always use some more space when wedging something large into that space.

Any interference with the front door opening when the rear door is fully open?

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
As I suspected, this part is the same if turned over. Note the letters G7FL & G7FR where it attaches to the frame. Identical parts it appears, though I only was able to procure the L/F A02 part. Will order another one for the R/R door now.

New part as left hinge:

New part as right hinge:

Left front hinge:

Right front hinge:

For anyone who has BOTH parts on hand, if you could compare them physically and report back, I would appreciate it, as I am sure others will as well. Might resolve the issue of the RF hinge being back ordered; in fact, this may be WHY the R/F is on back order, and the A02 has superseded the A01 part numbers (I suspect the latter).

·
Registered
101 Posts
For anyone who has BOTH parts on hand, if you could compare them physically and report back, I would appreciate it, as I am sure others will as well. Might resolve the issue of the RF hinge being back ordered; in fact, this may be WHY the R/F is on back order, and the A02 has superseded the A01 part numbers (I suspect the latter).
That would make since. But, my parts guy didn't say anything about the right side number being superseded.

·
Registered
139 Posts
When I look up a 72380-TG7-A02 for a 2017 RTL-E it says wrong part for my truck.
This part does not fit the vehicle you selected:
2017 Honda Ridgeline 4 Door RTL (E); KA 6AT
Clicking on "view similar parts that fit" I see:
72340-TG7-A01 - CHECKER, R. FR. DOOR
72380-TG7-A01 - CHECKER, L. FR. DOOR

·
Registered
269 Posts
As I suspected, this part is the same if turned over. Note the letters G7FL & G7FR where it attaches to the frame. Identical parts it appears, though I only was able to procure the L/F A02 part. Will order another one for the R/R door now.

New part as left hinge:

New part as right hinge:

Left front hinge:

Right front hinge:
http://i68.tinypic.com/2lmqah5.jpg[/IMG

For anyone who has BOTH parts on hand, if you could compare them physically and report back, I would appreciate it, as I am sure others will as well. Might resolve the issue of the RF hinge being back ordered; in fact, this may be WHY the R/F is on back order, and the A02 has superseded the A01 part numbers (I suspect the latter).[/quote]

While the arm is the same, looking at the old left side that I have (waiting on the right) the piece that bolts to the the B pillar is marked left (L) so there must be a dimensional difference at that point. It cost money to inventory parts so I doubt Honda has two part numbers if all it requires is to be flipped over.

I guess you could experiment but it may manifest some issue.

For those waiting on parts, I can definitely say that this hack has addressed my biggest pet peeve on this truck. I did the left side (which I use the most) can't wait to do the right for full functionality.

·
Registered
269 Posts
If this really helps increase the rear door access then SHAME ON HONDA.......................
I really think that the engineer that designed this part has a very valid engineering reason to have limited the travel but its obvious that in practical terms it failed this part is only used by the G2 and is not shared with any other vehicle. I'm sure at some point someone or all of us may find a negative to this hack but I'm willing to take the chance for the increase functionality. That is the beauty of this community, we all experiment and find solutions. To sit here and cast blame in the long run will be fruitless.

I'm sure that there one or several Honda engineers that are here listening and taking note of the comments made. I'm sure that there are several people from sales and marketing lurking here as well. This place is free focus group feedback that is priceless to them. I think a perfect example is how the '19 G2 models from the RTL up are getting sunroofs and sliding rear windows. Someone was listening and reading what we said.

I have no problem solving the shortcomings we find just as long as whatever improvements they make can be backwards compatible whenever possible.

I often look at the options in the market place and every time I get in my G2 I'm glad this truck was available for me to purchase. There is no perfect truck out there, but this one fits me and a lot of us just fine.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
I’m smelling what you are stepping in, but Honda is not always the smartest group of people in the world. Just pulled my R/F driver hinge off the truck, and it sure enough ways R on the bottom. But the new L/F hinge bolts up just fine. Look at them, they are symmetrical. I don’t have time to install my L/F for a few days as I am moving, but when I get settled, I will install the L/F hing on the R/R door and report back.

Meanwhile, I am confident enough to order another L/F hinge.

While the arm is the same, looking at the old left side that I have (waiting on the right) the piece that bolts to the the B pillar is marked left (L) so there must be a dimensional difference at that point. It cost money to inventory parts so I doubt Honda has two part numbers if all it requires is to be flipped over.

I guess you could experiment but it may manifest some issue.

For those waiting on parts, I can definitely say that this hack has addressed my biggest pet peeve on this truck. I did the left side (which I use the most) can't wait to do the right for full functionality.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I really think that the engineer that designed this part has a very valid engineering reason to have limited the travel but its obvious that in practical terms it failed this part is only used by the G2 and is not shared with any other vehicle.
What I find odd is that the hinges are designed to allow much more travel than the check assemblies.

As has been noted previously, the front checks stop just short of the full hinge travel.

Maybe they originally intended for the doors to open more. Then, for some reason, they shortened the travel using the shorter checks assemblies.

I've only had my left door check replaced for a day and a half.

I can say it's been great!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Just ordered mine from hondaparts.com. Less than $28 including shipping. Will see what notification I get on availability.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I’m smelling what you are stepping in, but Honda is not always the smartest group of people in the world. Just pulled my R/F driver hinge off the truck, and it sure enough ways R on the bottom. But the new L/F hinge bolts up just fine. Look at them, they are symmetrical. I don’t have time to install my L/F for a few days as I am moving, but when I get settled, I will install the L/F hing on the R/R door and report back.

Meanwhile, I am confident enough to order another L/F hinge.
Well, if you are right then you will make a lot of people waiting on the backorder right ones happy, according to my parts guy he must have have ordered my parts just before they went on back order. my right one was coming from a warehouse in Ohio and should be here by Friday. but for those not so fortunate your experiment if right will make lots of people happy.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Then YOU can settle the discussion for good when you get both parts! Compare them side by side, at every angle. Are they really the same, just 180° out from one another? Show us the good, m8!

Well, if you are right then you will make a lot of people waiting on the backorder right ones happy, according to my parts guy he must have have ordered my parts just before they went on back order. my right one was coming from a warehouse in Ohio and should be here by Friday. but for those not so fortunate your experiment if right will make lots of people happy.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
If they are indeed the same part, then I would postulate that Honda gave them separate part numbers for accounting and research purposes. This could give them insight into whether a certain side has more failures, and whether it is commensurate with usage (e.g. - drivers door gets used more so may need more replacements), etc.

If true, then you guys just messed that all up! >:)

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
I think you all should keep waiting on good clear pictures, videos, and descriptions of successful installs before considering ordering two of the the stops for one door and none for the other. You might have to turn doors upside down or get in backwards. That way the rest of us can snatch up all the parts and you can wait months for backorder? Better hurry folks, this makes no sense design wise but was clever in solution providing it doesn’t stress hinges.
Only aspect not mentioned yet is if you can simply replace these with the 4 visible bolts (2 on frame and door) then turn and remove shorter rear one or if you have to take off panel. Either way, worth it!.
BTW, only diff is 4 and 8 in P/N for either side.

81 - 100 of 1364 Posts