Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1121 - 1140 of 1175 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Amazing that Honda didn't rectify this situation after the 2017's were done considering there were immediately 2000 reviews on line that noted the small rear door opening as a design flaw. I guess it must cost them a lot of money to re-tool and build the next model year with a different hinge. Same would apply to the lack of a tailgate lock. That I rectified immediately. I can't imagine that would have been so hard to add on by 2019 models. Cheaper to keep it as is I guess. Still wondering like the rest of us what is up for 2020.

·
Registered
271 Posts
OK, I can't take the peer pressure any more. I've owned my 2017 Ridgeline for 2 weeks now and the doors haven't been a problem yet, but they do seem oddly restricted. I just ordered a pair of door checkers.
What kind of a weirdo wouldn't expand the door opening, lol.

Was hoping to find a low-mileage used Gen2 Ridgeline, but the ones I see are priced somewhat close to new discounted 2019 units. Where did you find yours?

·
Registered
53 Posts
What kind of a weirdo wouldn't expand the door opening, lol.

Was hoping to find a low-mileage used Gen2 Ridgeline, but the ones I see are priced somewhat close to new discounted 2019 units. Where did you find yours?
My wife and I had just decided to go ahead and upgrade from our 250k mile 2006 Pilot and 150k mile 2012 Civic. I had some time to kill down in Southeastern MA so I headed to a Honda dealer to look at the Ridgeline and CR-V and as I was pulling in I saw what looked like a Ridgeline in great condition at the Chevy dealer across the street. The Honda salesman was useless and not interested in selling anything so I left, went across the street, test drove what is now my 2017 Ridgeline Sport, and was immediately sold on it. I've been lurking here ever since and have been picking up useful tips like this nice easy modification.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Congrats on the 2017 RL. Interesting comment on the Honda salesman who could care less about selling anything. What is wrong with people these days especially many car salespeople. I've bought 3 new cars in the last 3 years and all experiences were just flat out lame. I come in fully prepared and know more about the vehicle then they do. I tell them I'm a buyer (not a tire kicker ) and they act like they are doing me a favor by talking to me. I don't get it. I did sales in the music industry all my life and if I treated customers that way I would have been out of a job in 5 seconds. Is it because it's the last hope for a real job for these people or they just don't give a rat's a__??

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Congrats on the 2017 RL. Interesting comment on the Honda salesman who could care less about selling anything. What is wrong with people these days especially many car salespeople. I've bought 3 new cars in the last 3 years and all experiences were just flat out lame. I come in fully prepared and know more about the vehicle then they do. I tell them I'm a buyer (not a tire kicker ) and they act like they are doing me a favor by talking to me. I don't get it. I did sales in the music industry all my life and if I treated customers that way I would have been out of a job in 5 seconds. Is it because it's the last hope for a real job for these people or they just don't give a rat's a__??
It's because they want to get back to crushing candy. Disposable income comes way too easy nowadays, much easier than twenty years ago. Back then, people wanted to earn a few bucks so they could go party that night, or save up for a cool stereo system. Nowadays, they just need to earn enough for instant gratification, which is typically smart phone ownership and operation.

Geez, I'm starting to sound like a cynical old fart... and stay off my lawn! 🤨😄

·
Registered
2 Posts
WOW!!!!! What a difference 5" make.....I know, a lot of us guys have heard the same thing! :)

Got my parts today and took all of 30 minutes to install on both sides. Easy-peasy as they say. Before the doors opened only 34" from body crease to door crease (on outside, below door handle). Now doors open 39"! Wife is finally pleased as well as my dog. Both can get in easily.

A big thank you goes out to kmharvs33 . He should be raised from Freshman status to Exalted Leader for 2017 and up Ridgelines.
Installed the larger door checks to my 2018 Ridgeline, and the extra 5" is a big difference. About $10 for each door check, and it took a bit under an hour to install both. I highly recommend getting the larger door checks. Only item I disagree with the above post is the factory door checks open 24" and the larger door checks open to 29". It's a big difference when moving an ice chest in and out or larger objects.

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
OK so ive blowin by this thread for several months that said there is now a longer one then the original post. So its go big or go home now, :). Didnt want go thru pages to find out I have to go mow up all the fallin leaves.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Hmm...if there's a new longer door check than the original OEM for the front doors to swap into the back doors, then I totally missed that recent twist as well. I thought the only thing that's changed since the original post is the part number?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Nothing has changed, the A02 part numbers listed in post #1 are still the current part numbers required for the mod.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just finished installing my new parts, and I just have to say WOW! Pictures and videos just don't show how significant the difference is. I wish I had done this before struggling to get a large box into the back seat last weekend.

Thank you to everyone that contributed here, especially the OP.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I installed my new door checkers this weekend after trying to get my grand children's car seats in the back seat. What a fricken pain that was!! Just do not understand why they would make the rear access so restrictive...

·
Registered
36 Posts
I installed my new door checkers this weekend after trying to get my grand children's car seats in the back seat. What a fricken pain that was!! Just do not understand why they would make the rear access so restrictive...
have you had a chance to do the seats again since making the change? This is something I’m a bit concerned about as well. Is it easy now, or just less hard?

·
Registered
411 Posts
have you had a chance to do the seats again since making the change? This is something I’m a bit concerned about as well. Is it easy now, or just less hard?
I put our granddaughters car seat in and out a couple of times before doing the mod. Installing the seat went from difficult to easy with the new door checks.

1121 - 1140 of 1175 Posts