Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1141 - 1160 of 1176 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Installed the larger door checks to my 2018 Ridgeline, and the extra 5" is a big difference. About $10 for each door check, and it took a bit under an hour to install both. I highly recommend getting the larger door checks. Only item I disagree with the above post is the factory door checks open 24" and the larger door checks open to 29". It's a big difference when moving an ice chest in and out or larger objects.
May I ask where you got them - from a dealer? Just bought our 2019 RTL AWD yesterday....might as well get this taken care of now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Performed this mod last night, with my wife's help to hold the door panels. Went through the speakers, using a trim tool to press down at the top and pop them out.
Very easy, took about 30 minutes mostly because it was dark, cold, and I was working slowly and carefully. Could do it again in 10 minutes per side.

Definitely makes a huge difference, the doors open noticeably wider and allow a much better approach angle. We can now fit our carseat through the door opening without having to lift it over the cup holder portion of the door panel, and standing at the door sill reaching into the vehicle is easier because we can stand at more of a 90 degree angle without hitting the door.

A huge thanks to the OP for sharing this, and to everyone who posted pictures and instructions/tips that made it easy.
Definitely would recommend this to anyone with a Gen 2.

·
Registered
287 Posts
OK, I can't take the peer pressure any more. I've owned my 2017 Ridgeline for 2 weeks now and the doors haven't been a problem yet, but they do seem oddly restricted. I just ordered a pair of door checkers.
I've had mine for about 44 hours and am already succumbing to the door-checker purchase pressure.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've had mine for about 44 hours and am already succumbing to the door-checker purchase pressure.
Had my 2019 for a year before I finally did this mod. It is simple and makes the loading into the rear so much better. Don't know why Honda doesn't make them this way from the factory.

·
Super Moderator
12,856 Posts
It's been a year and a half since the first of these modifications were performed. Based on this thread and the Facebook group, I'd estimate dozens if not hundreds of owners have made this modification and I have yet to read a single report of any negative consequences. At this point, I'd say it's a pretty safe modification.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I ordered the parts several months ago and just got my install done this morning. I measured before at just under 23" for the rear opening and now the distance is just over 28" - 5 inches wider. Great Honda Hack!

·
Registered
48 Posts
New BE owner here, had the truck 2 weeks, had the salesman parts put on the bill of sale with the truck I wanted this hack so much -- The dealer didn't install (didn't ask either, dunno if they would) and I'm done. Love the extra space, it's a dramatically different experience opening the back door after they are in. Thanks everyone. Didn't love the idea of taking my doors apart on my brand new vehicle but it was minor surgery and hopefully I got everything back into place and locked tabs etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just did the door hack on my RTL-E today. Only have 157 miles. New floor mats go in tomorrow. Thanks to everyone for their information. Paragon tonneau in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Any issues with the door hack if you have body side molding and door edge guards?
Several members have done this with the side moldings and reported no problem. There are pictures in this thread.

I don't remember seeing anyone post about the edge guards, but I may have missed it. However having done it to my doors, I really don't think there would be any issue with having the edge guards - things just aren't that tight so they should fit without any trouble.

·
Registered
390 Posts
If everyone that benefited from this hack donated a nickel to the OP he'd be able to make a monthly truck payment. Someone set this up and I'll throw in a couple of bucks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Has any tried the Maxpider 3D floor mats. Installed them on Saturday. They are awesome. Nice tight fit including the back seat area. 4 pieces in all. 2 front and 2 for the back. Got them on Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
Has any tried the Maxpider 3D floor mats. Installed them on Saturday. They are awesome. Nice tight fit including the back seat area. 4 pieces in all. 2 front and 2 for the back. Got them on Amazon.
There are other threads here about those. Mine were delivered today but I'm not home to try them yet.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Several members have done this with the side moldings and reported no problem. There are pictures in this thread.

I don't remember seeing anyone post about the edge guards, but I may have missed it. However having done it to my doors, I really don't think there would be any issue with having the edge guards - things just aren't that tight so they should fit without any trouble.
I've got the door edge guards...no issue.

1141 - 1160 of 1176 Posts