Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1161 - 1176 of 1176 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just tried this mod today and the right door checker went in fine, but I over tightened the bolt on the left door checker (the one going into the truck) and stripped it. Now the checker moves a little and isn't secure like the right door.

Any thoughts on what I can do? Thanks

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just tried this mod today and the right door checker went in fine, but I over tightened the bolt on the left door checker (the one going into the truck) and stripped it. Now the checker moves a little and isn't secure like the right door.

Any thoughts on what I can do? Thanks
Remove the bolt to see if the bolt itself is damaged or if the thread in the door jamb is. A new bolt may be enough to hold it tight. If not, you can look into using an oversize bolt or even go all-out with a heli-coil.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Remove the bolt to see if the bolt itself is damaged or if the thread in the door jamb is. A new bolt may be enough to hold it tight. If not, you can look into using an oversize bolt or even go all-out with a heli-coil.
Bolt was damaged and the place it screws into is damaged. Where can I purchase a heli-coil?

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Maybe just get a new door checker. The checkers are only $15. Maybe I misunderstood but thought it was the point it goes into the door side and not the frame of the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Did this improvement to the rear doors today. Great project. Took me just over an hour, just because I'm slow. "Value added" time was probably only about 20 minutes. First door took longer, second door took 15 minutes. Both a little longer because after reading some of the concerns about the opening being slightly too wide, I placed washers on the inside of each mount just to shorten the stroke a touch. Came out great, but . . . . as with many of my projects, this addition was a slight PITA. Dropping the washers inside the doors and fishing out washers with magnets took a little longer than necessary. I also might suggest pulling the door panels from the inside portion rather than the outside lower corner. This seemed to help a bit. Pulling from the outside lower corner on the first door led to me breaking off one of the Christmas tree attachments. Pulling from the inside lower area on the second door, for me, came off much easier and no breakage.

Thanks again OP for this improvement. I give it 5 stars * :cool:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Did mine yesterday outside in 37 degree weather. Took me an hour because the clips and plastic were super stiff and hard to get off. A previous poster's advice of pulling from the inside edge worked better for me as well.
If I had to it all over again I would wait until it is at least 50 degrees outside.

·
Super Moderator
12,860 Posts
It appears the longer rear door checkers are finally standard for 2020. It'll be interesting to see if Honda is uses the same front checkers we've been installing and if other changes were made.

"...wider-opening rear doors..."

1161 - 1176 of 1176 Posts