Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1281 - 1300 of 1364 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Until some actually mounts the new 2020 rear door checkers and then measures the difference between the old and new we will not know if the doors actually open more or not, Just looking at one is deceptive especially in a picture.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
As someone who is waiting to do the mod, it sounds like the front checkers may be preferable, since they offer two detents (four positions). The only mitigating factor for using 2020 rears is IF they can open substantially further than the fronts.

Based on reports of folks opening the door fully when no checkers are installed (and determining that the rear door could not open much further with no checkers vs front checkers installed), there probably is no substantial difference, thus giving the front checkers the win?

·
Registered
104 Posts
As someone who is waiting to do the mod, it sounds like the front checkers may be preferable, since they offer two detents (four positions).
I'm leaning towards the front checkers being the better option. I'm not going to go out and buy them now that I have the 2020 rears installed on mine, but I think I would prefer the extra detent. Right now, my back doors will stay all the way open on level ground, but parked in my driveway or any decent wind and the doors will fall back to the old narrow position opening.

I am not really sure why Honda wouldn't put a second detent, but my thinking in getting the 2020s was to go with the factory option since they probably have good reasons they designed them that way. I haven't quite figured it out yet, but it might just be something to do with kids riding in the back more often. It would be harder for a small kid to close the door if they opened it all the way and then climbed in and could barely reach or not reach at all.

Whichever way you go, I can say it is much nicer loading the back with stuff having the wider opening doors.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just ordered the 2020 rear checkers, but they are on backorder. (OEM part source)
Told the same by my dealer last week - 2020 rear checkers backordered. Placed the order and waiting. Already have the 2019 front door checkers, still in their parts bag, sitting on my bench waiting on a warm weekend install. Figured it was worth the money to try them both and report back.
Funny thing, when I first called to order the 2019 front door checkers when I purchased my 2019 RTL in December, parts guy tells me, "Oh, no need to order, I keep them in stock." Ha!

·
Registered
896 Posts
As someone that did the mod with front checks long ago, I have to imagine the 2020 checks will be VERY close on total opening to the front check mod. The front checks allow the rear doors to really max out the opening. They get very close to painted metal to metal contact with the front checks installed. They can only go so far since the actual doors and hinges have not changed (based on looking at them side by side with a 2020 and my 2017).

·
Registered
647 Posts
As someone that did the mod with front checks long ago, I have to imagine the 2020 checks will be VERY close on total opening to the front check mod. The front checks allow the rear doors to really max out the opening. They get very close to painted metal to metal contact with the front checks installed. They can only go so far since the actual doors and hinges have not changed (based on looking at them side by side with a 2020 and my 2017).
Great point.

I've not heard of anyone having metal touch, damaging the doors - has anyone else? Just checking before I do mine :).

·
Registered
482 Posts
Told the same by my dealer last week - 2020 rear checkers backordered. Placed the order and waiting. Already have the 2019 front door checkers, still in their parts bag, sitting on my bench waiting on a warm weekend install. Figured it was worth the money to try them both and report back.
Funny thing, when I first called to order the 2019 front door checkers when I purchased my 2019 RTL in December, parts guy tells me, "Oh, no need to order, I keep them in stock." Ha!
When you get the 2020 door checks, are planning on installing one in each side, (2019 & 2020)?

·
Registered
896 Posts
Great point.

I've not heard of anyone having metal touch, damaging the doors - has anyone else? Just checking before I do mine :).
They definitely will not touch and I did this close to 18 months ago and use the rear doors a lot (I do Roadie and Amazon Flex deliveries with my G2). Just saying that it is as far as you'd comfortably want the doors to go. It would take an outside force to make the door contact the B pillar and then you'd have other issues. This is the most no brainer mod in the history of Honda vehicles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
When you get the 2020 door checks, are planning on installing one in each side, (2019 & 2020)?
Nah, just gonna pick a side - probably R - install the 2019 front checker, take a couple pics, then swap in the 2020 rear and take a couple comparo pics from the same reference point. Happy to post what I see here (whenever the part shows up - and I get a 60* weekend afternoon).

I'll keep the ones that open widest as I'll be putting my soft drum cases back there for the occasional show 6-8 times a year. From what I've been reading, I'd be very surprised if the 2020 part opens any wider as the 2017-2019 front door checker seems to stop just short of the front door back edge on full open. If they are the same, detent position is the deciding factor.

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Nah, just gonna pick a side - probably R - install the 2019 front checker, take a couple pics, then swap in the 2020 rear and take a couple comparo pics from the same reference point.
Really looking forward to this, while I live with my 2020s installed on 2019. Would it be worthwhile to live a few weeks with the 2019 checker on one side and the 2020 on the other?

With the 2020 checkers, I maxed out my ability to load cargo inside with a standard rectangular laundry basket (26.5 x 18.5 at handle rim). That laundry basket was rubbing the edges of the door handle pad, so it was viable. While this should be enough for me and probably is, I do not remember even having to think about such a thing in my G1 Ridge. My bigger concerns continues to be that the door does not give the feel of confident stability in the wide open position... giving perhaps the feeling that if you bump it, it might open then close on you... not the biggest deal, but it was not even a feeling I was ever aware of before.

Today I will test try to put a 55-gallon plastic garbage can in the cab... something I did with the G1 no problem.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My bigger concerns continues to be that the door does not give the feel of confident stability in the wide open position... giving perhaps the feeling that if you bump it, it might open then close on you... not the biggest deal, but it was not even a feeling I was ever aware of before.
Yeah, that's the no second detent issue mentioned earlier. It's totally based on gravity which way it will go or won't in the fully open position. Personally I don't like that, but it's not that big an issue, and I've thought about some ways to potentially fix that, but I'm reluctant to try them unless it really gets on my nerves. I think it will be fine after a while and I will just get used to it. Time will tell.

·
Premium Member
2009 Ridgeline RTL (with nav) in Bali Blue Pearl
2,260 Posts
Here you go, guys. The 2020 rear checkers will allow the doors to open wider, but only if you also replace the hinges. Check out my video.

Well that answers it. Thank you gravis86 for being so willing to put in the work and money to educate us all.

I cannot find a 2020 Ridgeline parts list to make certain the hinges are truly different from the 2019, but once a list becomes available the part numbers for the 2019 rear-door hinges are:

·
Administrator
13,775 Posts
Here you go, guys. The 2020 rear checkers will allow the doors to open wider, but only if you also replace the hinges. Check out my video.

And there you have it.

So, if you have a 2017-2019 and want the rear doors to open wider, but not as wide as the 2020, then you need to buy the front checkers.

If you have a 2017--2019 and want the rear doors to open as wide as the 2020, you need to buy the 2020 rear checkers and the rear hinges.

67910-T6Z-A01ZZ
HINGE, R. RR. DOOR (UPPER)

67920-T6Z-A01ZZ
HINGE, R. RR. DOOR (LOWER)

67950-T6Z-A01ZZ
HINGE, L. RR. DOOR (UPPER)

67960-T6Z-A01ZZ
HINGE, L. RR. DOOR (LOWER)

72840-T6Z-A11
CHECKER, R. RR. DOOR

72880-T6Z-A11
CHECKER, L. RR. DOOR

The list price for all six parts is about $150.

The hinges won't be painted.

Replacing hinges carries more risk than replacing just the checkers. You can end up with misaligned doors or doors that won't close or open properly and having to pay a body shop to fix the alignment.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thanks for posting that. That definitely explains what we've seen. And if I had seen that vid before I bought my 2020 rear checkers I would have gotten the fronts instead. I'm not changing the hinges out. That seems unnecessary to me.

Any chance you measured the difference in length of the rear detents between the two checkers? I'm just wondering if shimming the 2020 checkers with a couple of washers in the door panel would make it reach the back detent in the fully open position. That seems like a simple fix for the door floating in the fully open position. Hard to tell by the pics how big a difference it is.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks for posting that. That definitely explains what we've seen. And if I had seen that vid before I bought my 2020 rear checkers I would have gotten the fronts instead. I'm not changing the hinges out. That seems unnecessary to me.

Any chance you measured the difference in length of the rear detents between the two checkers? I'm just wondering if shimming the 2020 checkers with a couple of washers in the door panel would make it reach the back detent in the fully open position. That seems like a simple fix for the door floating in the fully open position. Hard to tell by the pics how big a difference it is.
I didn't bust out the caliper (I should have, though) but I'd say it's around .400 inches or so. Definitely more room than I'd be comfortable throwing washers in. As a matter of fact, the screws are just short enough that they can't even reach with the stop in that position. The gap between it and the door is just too large. So you'd need longer screws, too.

It's possible to make a real shim in the machine shop. I may try it sometime this week if I can find the time, but I definitely wouldn't do washers.

If you're willing to remove the door panel to access the backside again to add in washers, you might as well just swap out for the 2019 front checkers. It's not that much different effort-wise.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Replacing hinges carries more risk than replacing just the checkers. You can end up with misaligned doors or doors that won't close or open properly and having to pay a body shop to fix the alignment.
Really can't emphasize this enough. Doors (hinges included) are a major structural part of any modern vehicle. They add rigidity under normal stresses and more importantly, they are stress points in the case of a collision. Do not take hinge replacement lightly. If you don't get them aligned properly, or don't torque them down correctly, it can do a lot worse than just causing the door gap to not line up.

I may replace them myself (for science) but I wouldn't recommend it as a normal mod for just anyone. Most people should go for the 2019 front checkers and call it a day.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Really can't emphasize this enough. Doors (hinges included) are a major structural part of any modern vehicle. They add rigidity under normal stresses and more importantly, they are stress points in the case of a collision. Do not take hinge replacement lightly. If you don't get them aligned properly, or don't torque them down correctly, it can do a lot worse than just causing the door gap to not line up.

I may replace them myself (for science) but I wouldn't recommend it as a normal mod for just anyone. Most people should go for the 2019 front checkers and call it a day.
Thank you all for doing this and giving your opinion. I have the 2020 checkers on backorder, but it sound like the hinges are a bit outside of my comfort zone.

1281 - 1300 of 1364 Posts