Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1381 - 1400 of 1422 Posts

·
Registered
2019 RTL-T Forest Mist Metallic
373 Posts
I just happen to resemble that remark! It is my belief that a large % of Ridgeline owners fall within this “That’s old man! Lol!”, age group.

In fact a recent poll right here on ROC shows that approximately 57% of the owners polled that they were over 50.
Hopefully you noticed the sarcasm. I happen to be a member of the same club ?

·
Registered
981 Posts
I just happen to resemble that remark! It is my belief that a large % of Ridgeline owners fall within this “That’s old man! Lol!”, age group.

In fact a recent poll right here on ROC shows that approximately 57% of the owners polled that they were over 50.
Yes, but some of them probably lied on the high side in an attempt to associate with the cool rock-n-roll generation :).

·
Registered
7 Posts
I tried to do the rear door modification today on my 2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E. I started with the passenger side and had good results. Checked the operation of the door, window and door checks and did not have any issues. Between the glass and the new door checks, I had about half a width of my finger tip. On the driver side, I was not so lucky. At almost closed position, the door check was almost touching the glass. I didn't feel comfortable leaving the new check in place, so I swapped back to the original. See below for my experience.

01before.JPG 02before.JPG
Original Door Checks

01after.JPG 02after.JPG
New Door Checks

Driver1.jpg
Driver side door check at closes position to glass, note NO gap between the checker and glass reflection on left of pic

Passenger1.jpg
Passenger side door check at closes position to glass, note a gap between the checker and glass reflection on left of pic

Hope this helps. What have other people done who has similar circumstances?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ok, so I now have my new checkers installed. I was able to bend them where they no longer scrape the inside of the window (it's amazing what a 25 ton hydraulic press can do) (Sorry no pics). For all of you that installed 2017-19 front checks on your rear doors, I highly recommend you double check your clearances. There is a reason that Honda put the bend in the 2020 rear checks!
Do you happen to remember where you placed the bend and which direction with the hydraulic press in the door checker? I have an issue with the driver side checker as it barely touches the glass when the window is down and the door is almost closed.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Started installing front checkers on my 2019 rear doors today. Installed the left side then promptly removed it. Didn't anyone notice that the front checkers rub the window when the window is in the down position??? Albeit the rubbing is slight and it only happens as the door is about 3/4 fully open, but it does rub. With the extra film tint I have on my windows, I cannot afford this to happen.
First the passenger rear door and I put the window all the way down, opened and closed the door, brought the window up about an inch, open and closed the door, another inch, open..................well, you get the idea. I then went over and did the same with the driver's side rear door. If the door checker is rubbing, I sure cannot feel it nor is it leaving any evidence on the glass. Thanks for the word of caution, but I am satisfied that there is no damage being done due to our modification.

Bill

·
Registered
22 Posts
What might explain why some rub and some don't? Some rub on the passenger side, some on the driver's side. I wonder if people are getting two of the same side checkers instead of one of each?

·
Registered
7 Posts
What might explain why some rub and some don't? Some rub on the passenger side, some on the driver's side. I wonder if people are getting two of the same side checkers instead of one of each?
I think they are the same part, just with different part numbers on the bag. I looked at the front door checkers and the numbers are the same, depending on which side you are looking at, driver or passenger. My next thought is swap out the driver front with the driver rear to see if maybe the tolerance of the checker is that much off.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mine are definitely stamped with "G7FR" and "G7FL" which I can only interpret as "Front Right" and "Front Left". The front checkers have the same designations as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I took a picture of the checker i didn't install on the driver side rear. I marked it with "HI" on it to show it is the same checker.
IMG_6028.JPG IMG_6029.JPG

The only distinction is the driver side has L stamped on the the bracket that attaches to the B-Pillar. The passenger side has R stamped on the bracket.
IMG_6031.JPG

·
Registered
22 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
So then (stating the obvious) it indicates the parts aren't interchangeable.
Well, maybe the parts that you have are not interchangeable, are they Honda original parts, or aftermarket? Referencing the parts that I purchased as Honda OEM parts, the Right Rear checker that I installed on our Ridgeline is marked G7FR on top, G7FL underneath, while the Left Rear checker is marked G7FL on top, and G7FR underneath. Are your checkers marked the same, if not, maybe we can assume that they are from a different manufacturer than ours? Otherwise, I am not too bright sometimes, but to my simple way of thinking, concerning the checkers now installed on our Ridgeline, the part numbers on either checker are the same, just that the part on the left side is oriented with the G7FL facing up,G7FR facing down, while the part on the right side is oriented with the G7FR facing up, G7FL facing down.

Bill

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm just trying to help you guys using logic. It's not logical that Honda would have two separate part numbers for the exact same part so maybe the key to this is in the brackets, not the arm. Therefore, those with the problem might look at the bracket itself to see if its is appropriately marked for it's installed location. Looks to be easily checked. I know that I installed mine according to the part numbers in my 2019 RL Sport and there is no interference.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm just trying to help you guys using logic. It's not logical that Honda would have two separate part numbers for the exact same part so maybe the key to this is in the brackets, not the arm. Therefore, those with the problem might look at the bracket itself to see if its is appropriately marked for it's installed location. Looks to be easily checked. I know that I installed mine according to the part numbers in my 2019 RL Sport and there is no interference.
So, I am trying to understand your logic. The rear drivers side door is the one I am having problems. As shown in the picture from my previous posts, I have an 'L' on the bracket, which really looks very similar to the rear passenger side dimension side and appearance with the exception of the 'R' on the right hand versus the 'L' on the supposed driver side. 'L' should be for driver side, correct? I was able to take some comparison pictures for the 72380-TG7-A02 (L) checker for driver side and the 72340-TG7-A02 (R) checker for the passenger side. Without getting the romer arm measuring tool out, the parts appear identical with the exception of a stamped marking on the bracket that attaches to the B-Pillar and a pink dot on the 'L' checker and a light blue dot on the 'R' checker.
IMG_6034.JPG IMG_6035.JPG IMG_6036.JPG IMG_6037.JPG

Passenger side I have no issues. It is close, but I can deal with the half finger width spacing between the glass and the metal part of the checker when the window is down and the door is almost in the closed condition. This part was marked 'R' on the bracket that mounts to the B-Pillar

The driver side I do have an issue. There is hardly any gap between the checker and the glass when the window is fully down and the door is almost in the closed condition. Any bumps or shift in the glass will likely scratch it, or worse case, when the door is closed and the window is rolled down, the glass could shatter.

The likely cause of variation is a build up of tolerance between all components related to the door during the manufacturing of the vehicle and the individual components. Some vehicles will work, and some vehicles, might not work. I'd rather not risk damaging the glass and fork over another 100-200 bucks for material costs to replace the broken glass. To me, caution should be used when installing this modification. I have a friend who will be doing this mod and I will see what his results are for his 2019 Ridgeline RTL-T. For reference I have a 2017 Ridgeline RTL-E. Not sure if the glass is different on the rear doors throughout trim levels. I know the windshield is different on various trim levels.

My next thought is to remove the front driver side checker and install it on the rear driver side door and see what results i have there. If it works, its probably the tolerance of the checker I got. Worse case, I will have one door that swings wider than the other side.

Just sharing my experience and word of caution for others.

·
Registered
22 Posts
jauto98: Sounds like you have delved into this in detail so I will concede that you have the right parts in the right place and the root cause lies elsewhere, perhaps in the window track location or additive variations in manufacturing.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-T Forest Mist Metallic
373 Posts
' on the bracket that mounts to the B-Pillar

The driver side I do have an issue. .
The driver side I do have an issue. There is hardly any gap between the checker and the glass when the window is fully down and the door is almost in the closed condition. Any bumps or shift in the glass will likely scratch it, or worse case, when the door is closed and the window is rolled down, the glass could shatter.
[/QUOTE]
Hardly any gap is all the gap you probably need. It's a pretty small risk to run with it. I'd say pretty low risk of scratching or cracking a window, and if you do, replace it, and lesson learned. Shattering the glass I seriously doubt could happen. Most likely is years of trouble free life.
Especially considering all the positive reviews of this mod, without one reported case of a broken window that I know of, maybe you are being overly cautious.

1381 - 1400 of 1422 Posts