Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1441 - 1460 of 1467 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm going to give this a go this weekend. Any advice on removing the speaker?

I tried this back in January/February when the outside temp was around 40 degrees Fahrenheit and had a heck of a time with trying to remove the speaker.
After removing the single screw holding the speaker in, I pulled very hard. Absolutely no wiggle, no movement.
I'm hopeful that the warmer temps will make removing the speaker easier. Has anyone had issue with removing the speaker, or do I just need to bite it and pull as hard as I can?

Any input greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
390 Posts

I tried this back in January/February when the outside temp was around 40 degrees Fahrenheit and had a heck of a time with trying to remove the speaker.
After removing the single screw holding the speaker in, I pulled very hard. Absolutely no wiggle, no movement.
I'm hopeful that the warmer temps will make removing the speaker easier. Has anyone had issue with removing the speaker, or do I just need to bite it and pull as hard as I can?

Once the screw is removed, pop the speaker out from the top, as there are tabs at the bottom which will break off otherwise. It comes off hard, but will come out with enough force.

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
217 Posts
Watch a video or two on YouTube if your still nervous about it. The tabs on the bottom of the speakers and the cables are really the only thing I can recall that you need to be careful about, as you could damage those if you aren't paying attention or don't know what to look out for.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Watch a video or two on YouTube if your still nervous about it. The tabs on the bottom of the speakers and the cables are really the only thing I can recall that you need to be careful about, as you could damage those if you aren't paying attention or don't know what to look out for.
Once removed, I was able to spin it 180 degrees and stuck it to the inner door panel, held on by it's own magnet.

·
Registered
2019 RTL AWD white diamond pearl
7 Posts
Yeah it held on by 1screw, the speaker magnet, and 2 plastic L brackets at the speaker bottom (to keep the speaker from sliding), if memory serves me correctly.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-T Forest Mist Metallic
445 Posts
Yeah it held on by 1screw, the speaker magnet, and 2 plastic L brackets at the speaker bottom (to keep the speaker from sliding), if memory serves me correctly.

Its as the others have said, but I recall there being some sticky attachment of the plastic mounting ring as well. that's why it seemed so hard to move. I remember it was really stuck on there good, but since I was replacing the speakers anyway, I could be as rough as necessary to get them out.
I think you could try to get a screw driver or trim panel tool under the edge at the top near the screw, and get it started. Then pull the top part of the speaker outward, then upward to clear the tabs at the bottom.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Today I had to take two of my cats to the vet. The last time, before the new door checks were installed, it was quite a job getting the pet carrier into the back seat area of the truck (back seats up), as it is quite large. Today, I had plenty of room and it slipped right inside without giving the cats a roller coaster ride and never even contacted the door. Love this mod!

·
Registered
63 Posts

I had the same experience - it was as if the speaker had been sealed to the door. I had to get a real good grip of the speaker and pull very hard to get it out.

I wouldn't be concerned about damaging it though, the assembly is solid.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I got the new checkers when I bought the truck in November, but wanted to wait until it warmed up so the plastic isn't as brittle.

Finally got around to it today, only 30 minutes total, super easy, and what a difference!

·
Registered
198 Posts
There is a foam gasket that seals the speaker to the door.
This makes it hard to initially pop the speaker loose.

Just get yourself a panel removal tool from Harbor Freight.
Insert the tool at the very top center, between the speaker and door, then twist.
The speaker will pop right out.
You can use a putty knife or flat blade screwdriver wrapped in painters tape as well.

·
Premium Member
3,901 Posts
I got the new checkers when I bought the truck in November, but wanted to wait until it warmed up so the plastic isn't as brittle.

Finally got around to it today, only 30 minutes total, super easy, and what a difference!
Good call. I did mine when the garage was still 40 degrees and broke the little plastic tab behind the handle, the one that hides the two screws. I still haven't gotten around to gluing it back on. I was pretty gentle taking that thing off, too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just knocked it out.
Gotta say, pulling from the top is huge. Thanks @LeXRidge. There is very little force needed. Very quick job.
Added 5 inches to the door opening and that with the running boards makes getting in and out of the back so much easier.
I checked the clearance with the windows up and down, door opened and closed, as I recall someone else had mentioned they were worried about the glass contacting with the checker when retracted. clearance gets as close as around half an inch, so no worries there.
Very smooth operation through and through with no contact between painted/metal parts, just gaskets.

Thanks again everyone!

1441 - 1460 of 1467 Posts