Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, rear ended by a Tundra that was rear ended by a Honda CRV. The Tundra took my hitch receiver it its bumper. I got a perfect silhouette of its license plate and screws into my bumper. Upon inspection didn't look too bad until I looked around the tail lights. There's a gap around the bottom of the left tail light. Estimate tomorrow...

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Likely just popped out of the stays.
If that came into my shop I would write for a replacement cover. Those bolt holes look fairly deep if not all the way through.

Let me know what they write on the estimate.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If that came into my shop I would write for a replacement cover. Those bolt holes look fairly deep if not all the way through.

Will do K-dog. still need to take a pic from the side. In your opinion, should I push for an alignment check? It was a pretty good hit from the driver's seat.

·
Registered
531 Posts

Is that lower part of the cover textured? If so it would have to be replaced. No, it should not have effected the allignment.:act006:

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,340 Posts
I'm really surprised to read this. If this was my vehicle, I'd most definitely get additional "opinions" if you told me all I needed was a bumper cover.
You might want to settle down a bit! I'm pretty sure K-Dog was saying that rather than FIXING the damaged bumper cover, he would push for REPLACING it. He wasn't saying that that was all it needed. . . .

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had the adjuster from USAA out this morning. He wrote the estimate to include a replacement aftermarket bumper cover. I asked about OEM, and he said his options were to repair or replace with an aftermarket product. It's guaranteed for life so it was ok with me. Total cost (don't have it in front of me) was about $1,150 for the cover, repair work and my overly priced hitch cover!

Not having an accident for several years, it was a good experience working with USAA, their mobile app, and ability to upload pics and documents was great. They also set up a rental car. Also kudos to the local PD that made available the accident report on line within 24-hrs.

The only unfortunate thing was that another USAA member caused the accident! Main thing is that nobody was seriously hurt, cop was cool (even asked if I was carrying, i.e. CCW) and all is well.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
You might want to settle down a bit! I'm pretty sure K-Dog was saying that rather than FIXING the damaged bumper cover, he would push for REPLACING it. He wasn't saying that that was all it needed. . . .
Yes exactly.

Its near impossible to tell for sure if there is additional damage with out the cover being removed.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Had the adjuster from USAA out this morning. He wrote the estimate to include a replacement aftermarket bumper cover. I asked about OEM, and he said his options were to repair or replace with an aftermarket product. It's guaranteed for life so it was ok with me. Total cost (don't have it in front of me) was about $1,150 for the cover, repair work and my overly priced hitch cover!

Not having an accident for several years, it was a good experience working with USAA, their mobile app, and ability to upload pics and documents was great. They also set up a rental car. Also kudos to the local PD that made available the accident report on line within 24-hrs.

The only unfortunate thing was that another USAA member caused the accident! Main thing is that nobody was seriously hurt, cop was cool (even asked if I was carrying, i.e. CCW) and all is well.
I would opt for the replacement. When you drop it off at the shop ask them how much additional OEM would be. Insurance companies rarely want to go with OEM prices.
After market can be SO hit and miss. Some times it really fits just as good, some times its just hideous.

As far as the alignment odds are WAY slim that hit threw any thing out of alignemnt, so its not very likely an insurance company would be willing to pay for one, BUT it never hurts to ask. The worst they can say is no.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
K-Dog is right. I was rear-ended earlier last year. Similar to your accident.

The initial estimate was $820 but the final bill was $1360 once the bumper cover was removed and more damages were found.

The bumper impact absorber (giant styrofoam pads) were smashed and was replaced.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for your input K-dog, one thing I didn't check until this morning was to make sure the tailgate and bed cover opened and closed ok. Everything seemed to be ok.

·
Registered
2013 Honda Ridgeline
783 Posts
Dang it looks like you traced his plate with a sharpie onto your bumper!

Be careful with the after market parts, the fenders they tried to put on my Prius had a different shape in the corners than the oems...you could always take the money and find a correct colored bumper cover in the junk yard, and pocket the rest.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,340 Posts
More than likely a good bodyshop will work with you on getting the proper parts for the job. I would guess that that don't want to install an aftermarket bumper cover anymore than you want them to. A used part is certainly an option but it will probably be a chore to find one that is pristine. Basically, just because the estimator priced for an aftermarket doesn't mean that you have to go with one nor does it mean that you will necessarily have to pay anything extra for it.

·
Registered
531 Posts
More than likely a good bodyshop will work with you on getting the proper parts for the job. I would guess that that don't want to install an aftermarket bumper cover anymore than you want them to. A used part is certainly an option but it will probably be a chore to find one that is pristine. Basically, just because the estimator priced for an aftermarket doesn't mean that you have to go with one nor does it mean that you will necessarily have to pay anything extra for it.
Yea, but having been an adjuster for a major insurance company for 25 years they really won't give you a choice in most states. More than likely they will say, "if you don't like it go through your own insurance company".:act018:

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,340 Posts
You are missing my point I think. Its not what the adjuster specced but what the bodyshop is willing to do. . .Bodyshops will often work out a deal with you for the money that has been allotted by the adjuster for the repair. Oem parts are probably easier to work with and will generate less call backs. They also dont have to be purchased at list price.

·
Registered
2013 Honda Ridgeline
783 Posts
..Oem parts are probably easier to work with and will generate less call backs...
True that. The body shop completed my Prius. I went to pick the car up, saw the incorrectly shaped fender corner, and they had to start all the way over using OEM parts. I am sure that is not the body shop's dream scenario...I get really hung up on a car being returned to actual pre-accident condition.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I asked about the OEM bumper cover and my insurance adjuster said that my insurance company did not offer it, however they guaranteed the replacement part for the life of the vehicle, so I'm ok with that.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,340 Posts
OK but it is not your insurance company that is actually doing the work, its a body shop. The overwhelming sense that I have gotten talking to people in the business is that OEM is the way to go for these types of parts. Lifetime warranty or not.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Yea, but having been an adjuster for a major insurance company for 25 years they really won't give you a choice in most states. More than likely they will say, "if you don't like it go through your own insurance company".:act018:
Depends on who is at fault! ! (at least in Calif)
OK but it is not your insurance company that is actually doing the work, its a body shop. The overwhelming sense that I have gotten talking to people in the business is that OEM is the way to go for these types of parts. Lifetime warranty or not.
This is what I know: IF the other party is at fault, you have a legal right to be "made whole".... this means getting OEM parts if that's what you need/want. Usually insurance companies will offer some kind of incentive to get you to authorize their preferred shops/parts..... and if it is YOUR insurance company, well then they have contract clauses in your policy that dictate how much freedom you have. But again IF it's the other party's fault, he is liable to pay for repairs that you get done as you determine is appropriate. You DON'T have to use their shop or their parts. You MIGHT be required to submit multiple quotes.... but you can just choose who you want to provide those quotes... and ask them to use OEM in their quotes.... you can even just use multiple dealers for those quotes if you want.
I'm in California, and KNOW it's this way here.... but I believe this is basic tort law, and 'should' be that same in all states.... 'No clue if that's actually the case.
Whatever you do though, don't roll over at the first resistance from the other insurance party..... you'll find they try to get all kinds of stuff past you if they can... and their first offer is always to your determent.
The exception to the "his fault" argument above, is if you are unlucky enough to have the SAME insurance company as the other party.... in that case your contract (insurance policy) gets you the short stick again. Just be sure you do your homework before you get rolled over.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
How did the Toyota fare? And what is that plugged into your trailer light harness? Looks like an auxiliary backup light maybe?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts