Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2022 RTL - Sonic Gray Pearl
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a full set of 3D Maxpider floor mats for my new RTL. The fronts are great, but I have some questions about the fit of the rear mats. The mat that goes under the rear seats seems to be okay, but the mat that goes where you put your feet seems to be off a bit in fit. It seems a bit large, and the side corners that overlap with the rear underseat mat seem to be designed incorrectly. Instead of laying flat on the floor, these corner "tabs" stick up about an inch.

Has anyone else had these fit issues or am I not installing them properly? I want to keep them but If I can't improve the fit I might return then and try weather tech or husky in the rear. Hopefully this pictures help describe what I am experiencing:

Attachments

·
Registered
2022 RTL-E Radiant Red
22 Posts
Same exact issue here. It initially bugged me, but I have since gotten over it. The OEM rubber mats included with my purchase fit perfectly. I hated the way dirt got under the front mats.

·
Premium Member
2022 RTL-E Crystal Black Pearl
1,584 Posts
I picked up a full set of 3D Maxpider floor mats for my new RTL. The fronts are great, but I have some questions about the fit of the rear mats. The mat that goes under the rear seats seems to be okay, but the mat that goes where you put your feet seems to be off a bit in fit. It seems a bit large, and the side corners that overlap with the rear underseat mat seem to be designed incorrectly. Instead of laying flat on the floor, these corner "tabs" stick up about an inch.

Has anyone else had these fit issues or am I not installing them properly? I want to keep them but If I can't improve the fit I might return then and try weather tech or husky in the rear. Hopefully this pictures help describe what I am experiencing:
They look just fine to me and the Max's are the best mats on the market.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I looked for the 3D Maxpider floormats for my '21 RL, but did not find them on Amazon, so I went with these instead...

Husky Liners Weatherbeater Series | Front Floor Liners - Black | 18431 | Fits 2017-2022 Honda Ridgeline 2 Pcs

Husky Liners Weatherbeater Series | 2nd Seat Floor Liner - Black | 19431 | Fits 2017-2022 Honda Ridgeline 1 Pcs

These fit perfectly for me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will mess with them a bit more but I think I may try the Husky's or Smartliners in the rear. I love the Maxpider in the front, just nicer than having the hard plastic on the floor. The rear will get more abuse with it being both a cargo area for me and the place where the kids will ride, so the fit is more important to me. It's a shame they didn't do some more checking on the final dimensions of the rear set, they are so close and so nice.

Thanks for sharing your experiences

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For future reference, the rear piece under the rear seat fits pretty well. It is the piece that sits on the floor where your feet go that is not quite right. It seems to be a bit too big, and "pushes up" a bit. So when you get in the car it moves around a bit and pushes down about 1/2" when you put your feet down. The rear corner that "connects" to the separate rear mat under the seat is about an inch higher than it should be, which leaves this awkward space making it seem like they were not custom designed for the vehicle. It's just that last 20% that makes all the difference. They were so close...They look and feel amazing but if this extra movement bothers you, it might be worth considering something else for the rear mats.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay here is an update. I'm hoping this will be helpful for other people who purchase these. For my use with the kids I think the Husky's may have been better, but these do have a more premium feel and they do fit if you put some effort into it. As 19RTL suggests, you need to work on these rear mats a bit to get them to fit properly. You push down on the floor mats and tuck them under the lip of the factory trim in the location of the red arrows below. It is fairly easy and should take less than 1 minute per side. If you want to constantly take these in and out for cleaning, this could get annoying but it does work. I will probably just vacuum them out in place and call it good.
Automotive tire Sleeve Tread Automotive design Grey

The next issue is that they block the floor vents under the front seats. I was able to push them up so the leading lip of the floor mat was just under the vents. It does seem to hold but I will need to keep an eye on it as the kids put some traffic on them. If is still a problem for you try re-setting the mats a bit and moving them further front, or you could perhaps make some type of shim to wedge in there. Before and after pictures are below:
Grille Synthetic rubber Automotive tire Grey Carbon
Grille Automotive design Hood Automotive exterior Grey

Here is an overall shot after I was done:
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Vehicle

·
Premium Member
1,584 Posts
Okay here is an update. I'm hoping this will be helpful for other people who purchase these. For my use with the kids I think the Husky's may have been better, but these do have a more premium feel and they do fit if you put some effort into it. As 19RTL suggests, you need to work on these rear mats a bit to get them to fit properly. You push down on the floor mats and tuck them under the lip of the factory trim in the location of the red arrows below. It is fairly easy and should take less than 1 minute per side. If you want to constantly take these in and out for cleaning, this could get annoying but it does work. I will probably just vacuum them out in place and call it good.

The next issue is that they block the floor vents under the front seats. I was able to push them up so the leading lip of the floor mat was just under the vents. It does seem to hold but I will need to keep an eye on it as the kids put some traffic on them. If is still a problem for you try re-setting the mats a bit and moving them further front, or you could perhaps make some type of shim to wedge in there.
Don't hate me, but I think you are making a big to-do over nothing. They are rear floor mats and the Max's are the best in the business. Husky cannot even compare to the Max's. They will do well to protect your rear area from kids stuff and anything else you may throw their way. The mats you have most certainly give you the coverage you are looking for and, in reality, the little tab on each side that connects the two mats is totally unnecessary and more for aesthetics than it is for any real protection. I would just cut the tabs off if they bother you and call it a day and this is coming from an anal engineer with OCD;)

·
Premium Member
2022 RTL-E White/Beige HPD bronze (no decals)
144 Posts
I also had some trouble initially getting them to sit just right, partly due to a slight curve in them from packaging, and also because they grip the carpet so well that it's hard to slide them into the correct position if their aren't centered when you lay them down the first time. But like you I eventually got them to fit right.
The next issue is that they block the floor vents under the front seats.
you could perhaps make some type of shim to wedge in there.
Yes, and yes! I could slide them under those vents but even without rear passengers they'd pop up again.
I made a wedge like you suggest. I originally started with paint stirring sticks (the flat kind that are shaped like rulers). One wasn't thick enough so I glued a couple together but they were still a little too thin. I ran out of stirring sticks and ended up cutting some pieces of wood to fit.
The length isn't important but the correct thickness and width are what allows it to snap into place and stay put. My pieces are 1/4 inch thick and about 3cm wide (sorry for mixing systems but trying to be precise).
Grille Hood Automotive lighting Bumper Rectangle

Grey Line Material property Pattern Electric blue

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Don't hate me, but I think you are making a big to-do over nothing.
No worries, there is merit to what you are saying. I'm a perfectionist and want it to be right, especially since these mats definitely have a nicer feel than the hard plastic ones. And in all fairness I can't say the fit worse than any other brand because I haven't tried any others.

@Tommy4eyes, this is exactly what I was talking about! Mine have stayed so far but if they don't I will definitely do this.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Purchased a 2018 Ridgeline and purchased the Weathertech floor liners. I ran into the same problem with the rear mats covering up the heat vents. I did the same with wood pieces to go under the vent and on top of the mat. I emailed photos to Weathertech for them to correct in the future.  Automotive design Automotive exterior Material property Tints and shades Vehicle door
Automotive design Automotive exterior Personal luxury car Vehicle Tints and shades

·
Registered
829 Posts
They look just fine to me and the Max's are the best mats on the market.
They are rear floor mats and the Max's are the best in the business. Husky cannot even compare to the Max's. They will do well to protect your rear area from kids stuff and anything else you may throw their way. The mats you have most certainly give you the coverage you are looking for
I'm not sure what pictures you are looking at, but the rear Max mats clearly do not fit well.
They obviously do NOT provide the coverage the OP is looking for, or else he wouldn't have made these posts.
And based on the photos provided, the Max's are NOT the "best in the business" at rear seat coverage & fit.

The OP is absolutely correct that the Husky rear mats would have been the better option, and are clearly superior to the Max, for his use case...
"The rear will get more abuse with it being both a cargo area for me and the place where the kids will ride, so the fit is more important to me."

·
Premium Member
1,584 Posts
I'm not sure what pictures you are looking at, but the rear Max mats clearly do not fit well.
They obviously do NOT provide the coverage the OP is looking for, or else he wouldn't have made these posts.
And based on the photos provided, the Max's are NOT the "best in the business" at rear seat coverage & fit.

The OP is absolutely correct that the Husky rear mats would have been the better option, and are clearly superior to the Max, for his use case...
"The rear will get more abuse with it being both a cargo area for me and the place where the kids will ride, so the fit is more important to me."
You have your opinion and I have mine. I have used WeatherTech and Husky in the past and not a fan of either. IMPO, Husky is actually worse than WT based on the materials used. The area I believe he was referencing, and showing pics of, is actually under the rear seat, not where feet go when sitting in the rear so no impact from kids at all. I gotta love you my friend as you are always critical of everything I post regardless of the subject. If you would have taken the time to read his posts, post my comments, maybe you wouldn't be so critical of what I stated above.

Happy Tuesday my blue friend and try to turn that frown upside down:)

·
Registered
829 Posts
You have your opinion and I have mine. I have used WeatherTech and Husky in the past and not a fan of either. IMPO, Husky is actually worse than WT based on the materials used. The area I believe he was referencing, and showing pics of, is actually under the rear seat, not where feet go when sitting in the rear so no impact from kids at all. I gotta love you my friend as you are always critical of everything I post regardless of the subject. If you would have taken the time to read his posts, post my comments, maybe you wouldn't be so critical of what I stated above.
I don't think you read his posts or looked at his pictures. The OP clearly said...
"The mat that goes under the rear seats seems to be okay, but the mat that goes where you put your feet seems to be off a bit in fit."
"For future reference, the rear piece under the rear seat fits pretty well. It is the piece that sits on the floor where your feet go that is not quite right..."

They clearly didn't fit well and multiple other posters indicated they had the same problem with the rear Max mats.
The OP also made it clear that in the back seat, fit & coverage was more important than looks & materials.

You seem to ignore all of this information and instead just post this stuff...
"The Max's are the best mats on the market," "The Max's are the best in the business," "Husky cannot even compare to the Max's."
Just because you are a major Max mat fanboy doesn't mean they are the best option for everyone. It is OK for the Husky's to be a better option for the OP's use case.

·
Premium Member
1,584 Posts
I don't think you read his posts or looked at his pictures. The OP clearly said...
"The mat that goes under the rear seats seems to be okay, but the mat that goes where you put your feet seems to be off a bit in fit."
"For future reference, the rear piece under the rear seat fits pretty well. It is the piece that sits on the floor where your feet go that is not quite right..."

They clearly didn't fit well and multiple other posters indicated they had the same problem with the rear Max mats.
The OP also made it clear that in the back seat, fit & coverage was more important than looks & materials.

You seem to ignore all of this information and instead just post this stuff...
"The Max's are the best mats on the market," "The Max's are the best in the business," "Husky cannot even compare to the Max's."
Just because you are a major Max mat fanboy doesn't mean they are the best option for everyone. It is OK for the Husky's to be a better option for the OP's use case.
Have a good day my friend. I did read and looked at all of his pics. See posts 12 and 14. Again, thanks for being critical ;)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts