Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering purchasing a Ridgeline RTS but when taking one for a test drive with my dog (who usually rides on the floor of my 2000 F-150), she became quite uncomfortable with the metal/plastic ridge on the floorboards of the Ridgeline. I am refering to the ridge/seat frame latching system when the folded rear seat are moved from stored to the seated position.

I have considered options but am wondering if anyone else has had a problem with the seat ridge and their pets. My F-150 is almost entirely flat which is perfect for the dog to stretch out on long trips. The space as compared to the two trucks is very close but the ridge on the floor is a problem.

Any suggestions.?

Thanks to all.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Dale Boyd said:
Any suggestions.?
Yes, try the search function. There is a great thread here about what others have done to modify their Ridgeline for their pets.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
I made this deck for our dog out of scrap pieces I had around the house so it isn't real pretty on the bottom.
The first picture is the bottom side. It is made from 1/2" plywood. The 2x4 pieces are there to make the deck level with the front of the floor. The 1x2 pieces fit into the groove for the seat supports to locate it in place. The blue pieces are made from old sleeping pads that I used for carpet padding.
The second picture is the deck installed in the RL. I only made the deck to fit the 60% section as that was plenty of room for the dog. Leaving the other seat down and covered with a blanket gave him a place to sit up on when we were stopped. The floor in front of it gave us a spot to put his water dish so that it was not in his way and he didn't spill it. The rear window was always at least partly open because he loved to smell what was going on outside.

Attachments

·
Registered
236 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
RidgeInTheVille, thanks for linking to my post. Our doggie deck is working out great. With the elevation off the floor, the girls are very content. They can see out the windows from a seated position. They still like standing on the armrests to smell the outside air.

Dale, welcome to the forum. I hope you will continue to post questions and comments. I'm glad to hear we're not the only ones that took the doggies on the test drive. If the vehicle hadn't worked for the dogs, we would not have bought it. It is doggie heaven and the reason our license plate says "DOGLIMO."

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
Dale Boyd said:
I am considering purchasing a Ridgeline RTS but when taking one for a test drive with my dog (who usually rides on the floor of my 2000 F-150), she became quite uncomfortable with the metal/plastic ridge on the floorboards of the Ridgeline. I am refering to the ridge/seat frame latching system when the folded rear seat are moved from stored to the seated position.

I have considered options but am wondering if anyone else has had a problem with the seat ridge and their pets. My F-150 is almost entirely flat which is perfect for the dog to stretch out on long trips. The space as compared to the two trucks is very close but the ridge on the floor is a problem.

Any suggestions.?

Thanks to all.
Hi Dale Boyd, There are more than a few owners with pups and they have come up with a whole assortment of clever ideas for their pets. Just do a search and pick one that you like. Welcome to the best Ridgeline forum.

·
Registered
27 Posts
One of the easier things to do is just get one of those huge dog beds from Sam's for $20 and throw it on the floor in the back before setting out on the long trips. I've got two doberman/rottweilers and this seems to work for them. It also keeps tham calm to have their familier dog beds with them.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have a 42 lb. Australian Shepard and he rides on the back seat. I have an L.L. Bean large dog pad that I hold in place with a bungi cord (It exactly covers the full seat part of the bench seat and neatly folds over the bungi -- If you are interested, I can post some pics). It works great and he can see what's going on. If your dog is on a larger scale, I can see where the floor would work better. Good luck.... you'll get lots of suggestions from your fellow ROC-heads.:D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Had my best friend / personal vet along when car shopping. He is quite the auto shopper. He fully endorsed the back seat area (seats up) for the dog (his god dog). Says riding low like that is the safest place for pets. Less likely to become 80 lb projectiles in case of sudden stops.

My wife also expressed concern for her pampered prince, the same 80 lb yellow lab. She loved the Ridgeline but insisted we make a custom fit dog bed. She bought a slab of 4" foam and cut it to match the 60/40 bench configuration. That allowed more flexibility depending on passenger and cargo loading requirements. She covered the foam with tough and durable camo fabric. Even matches the interior. His highness is still riding in style and he does not have to jump so high as he did with the old Ford Explorer.

He has no complaints except for the long distance window sniffing...

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts