Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning! I'm coming back to you guys for advice/opinions...I have 236k on my 06 RL. 2 weeks ago I did my full timing belt service. Now I have an oil leak. I read all the threads on oil leaks, and the TSB about the bolts. The photos posted in other threads look just like mine. Oil on bottom of tranny, transfer case. Appears to be coming out of the cover for flywheel. I spent $1100 on TB service. Now about $1600 for rear main seal. (Tech said he would replace an o ring that is leaking and valve cover gasket for free while in there) The tech showed me where it was leaking. I brought up all other alternatives and he said it was definitely rear main seal. He said I could just keep an eye on it for another year until gen 2 come out. He said DO NOT use re-seal of any form. Was wondering what you all thought. Pay the cash and hope nothing else major goes wrong in next year? That'll be about $2600 in repairs in 2 weeks for a truck valued at about $6-7k. It's worth a lot to me ;) as long as the tranny doesn't give out. Is this just considered routine maintenance? I know you don't have answers but you guys usually come up with good stuff I haven't thought about. It just came back from a 1600 mile trip and drove great (other than oil leak). I hate that I now have oil drops in my driveway! I have had front CV axles changed and cat conv. Other than that routine stuff. I'm quite interested in everyone's thoughts. Thanks for any opinions. As a side note, I can pull it off financially but would rather save the cash. Not wild about "keeping an eye on it" for over another year. I think I have answered my own question, but let's her what you all have on this...

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Well, since you seem to be reluctant (or at least on the fence) about paying to get the seal replaced, what I'd be doing is trying a "seal conditioning" oil for a few months to see if you can't get it to stop that way. It can't hurt at all if you use a good product (Valvoline makes one I believe... has been discussed here in other threads, & I'm guessing you've read about it?).
Your mechanic's advice might be correct regarding some harsh "stop leak" type products (not even sure about that), but using an oil with seal conditioners (they soften & more or less 'swell' the rubber in the seals) will be fine.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dnick. I've been using the high mileage Mobil (regular not synthetic)for quite some time and I believe that has the conditioners of which you speak. I was thinking of trying the reseal product mentioned in another thread AT 205 or something. It's been a great truck and I probably should just get it done and move on. Just trying to make sure I'm not totally crazy dropping that kinda money on a high mileage truck...cheaper than a car payment (if truck holds up for another year).

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
It's probably gonna' keep going for you for a long time. I wouldn't hesitate to put some "Lucas" product in there, or something like that. Whether you want to drop the dime on a new seal is strictly your judgement call. I would guess you'd be happy if you did.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Rear main seal went out on my Pilot. Found a good import shop that did mine for $800. Forgot to mention Honda wanted $2,000 at that time.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I need to find a good shop and get it don't cheaper. I am way too uptight to deal with putting down cardboard and checking leak for a year until gen 2 comes out. It's been too good to me to not fix it. Thanks for the input!

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
You want to run Valvoline Maxlife oil. Others have reported it will often mend or slow down small leaks. It is still a good synthetic blend to use all the time.
I think it is one of those 'it can't hurt' possible remedies.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought at this point I need to stick with straight conventional oil and stay away from any synthetic or synth blend because more leaks could show up. I'm willing to try it if the blend won't cause other leaks to show up. There is a good chance I'm misinformed and don't know what I'm talking about! I'm willing to try it and saw people really likes it in another thread! I may be changing oil again sooner than I thought. Thanks for the idea!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
If there's any possibility at all of some oil-mixed product being able to help, it's Auto-Rx. That product's inventor took his idea to Ashland/Valvoline, who declined to buy, but then suddenly MaxLife showed up a year or two later. MaxLife is perfectly decent oil, but it doesn't approach Auto-Rx for actual function/clean-up.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Have you considered running 5w-30? I run it in my 2006 that has 200k miles. I've used Lucas as well, it adds about 6psi to my oil pressure at idle , not sure if you want that .

Can you park your truck so that the drivers side tires are always higher than the passenger? :) that way no oil is up against that side? J/k

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the input! I think I have decided to just have the work done. I need this to last another year (or until new RLs come out and I can decide to buy that or something else). I am not a big believer in a repair-in-a-can. No offense to anyone by saying that. Between the mechanic and Joe saying no so Re-seal type products I feel that is a bad idea. I will try the Valvoline because I have nothing to lose. But in the end I think I will fix it and hope to get another year out of the truck. Again, thanks for all the ideas and input!

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
I think Maxlife is the safest way to go, and others have reported an improvement in managing leaks. At least the risk and money put out would be small.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts