Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the claim made by Echomaster, a website that I just stumbled upon tonight. For those of you with a tow hitch and harness, this looks like the way to go. Check it out:

http://www.parkingsensor.com/

I was going to install the hitch anyway, so this is more of an incentive to do so.

Aloha,
Keoni

PS. Here's another company, but they don't have the RF receiver:

http://www.sensetech.com/guardianalert.htm

·
Registered
296 Posts
Keoni said:
This is the claim made by Echomaster, a website that I just stumbled upon tonight...
keoni I had seen that website myself, but if you look closely you will notice that you can't buy the device from them; "Avail. exclusively at dealers" it sez.

Seems at least one design for a hitch solution (maybe even that one) was bought-up by Audiovox, but then then don't seem to have one for sale yet.

I like the hitch solution too, and the step is nice. But I don't want to pay more than $200 which is why the $99 solution vertrkr found got my attention in the first place.

Of course if you, or anyone here, find one and install it we will all look for a review!

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
For $99 ($110 shipped) I do have a working system but it does have some drawbacks and inherent limitations of an ultra-sonic system. I find the included shims don't point the sensors high enough so I get false alarms when backing out of my driveway which is at an angle. In a parking lot they do work just fine. Sure makes parallel parking alot easier.

I understand the downside of the ultra-sonic sensors is they may give false readings or nothing at all in high winds, rain and if dirt builds up on them. Haven't run into any trouble so far.

I really do like the idea of the doppler radar hitch mount one. I don't expect my cheapie $99 to last for ever so I'll defintely get the doppler one when mine give out.

As for cameras, I'm still sticking with the Honda one for now as I want the integration into the Nav screen. Perhaps someone could mod a 3rd party one to work in the Nav screen but that's beyond my skill level to try and figure out. I might try it if someone else does the leg work and has success.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I spoke with one of the developers at Echomaster and thier Hitchscan product will be released sometime in May and will come in two flavors: the dealer model and the retail model. The dealer model will be 15 mm shorter (top to bottom) than the retail version, and the retail will be named something different (maybe Dolphin). Also, the retail model will not have the recessed sensor holes but will be flush-mounted like the ones we're used to seeing in factory installations. Personally, I like the recessed model--and the smaller size is always welcome.

The great thing about this system, to me, is that if I sell my truck, I can take it with me...you know, when Honda comes out with the RTL-H (hybrid :). But then again, by that time, Honda will have figured out that most folks who spend over $30K on a truck would shell out a few extra bucks for rear sensors!

Aloha,
Keoni

·
Registered
536 Posts
For the hitch mounted unit I assume we need to add a backup wire to the trailer harness. I don't beleive it has one now

-W

1 - 5 of 5 Posts