Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the driver side strut just fine but the splined bolt goes into the control arm is stuck to the bushing in whatever the part is that goes into the lower control arm. I didn't realize that it was stuck to the bushing and I struggled to try to get the bolt out for the better part of three hours and needless to say I've destroyed the bushing. I also cannot get the bolt out so I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas or knows what that part is that connects to the control arm and also the axle. I have ended up bolting everything else back together replacing the sway bar end link and just parked my truck as that splined bolt is not all the way in. Any ideas or help is much appreciated, my next idea was to heat the bolt and hopefully melt it off that bushing and pull it out but will I be able to replace just the bushing or will I have to replace the whole part?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
It is the rear knuckle. And unfortunately that bushing is not available separately but may be able to be found aftermarket or matched once it is burned out. I would try to find a junkyard one. But a torch is your best option to heat the bolt out and hammer, or you could try a air hammer to beat it out. Just try to remove it all to where you just have the lower arm and knuckle on a bench.

The bolt is splined so once water gets inside it basically fuses to the sleeve that molded into the bushing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am about to replace wheel bearings, Half-shafts, Struts, and power steering pressure hose on my 2006 RTS.
Half-shafts have boot tears & this is a chance to replace high mileage bearings. I have done Mcpherson struts a few time in the past, so rust is my only concern.
Try out this guy's videos, for what its worth, He does alot of Hondoo work:

I usually find the part numbers, then search for best price;

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I finally got the job finished, I ended up having the sawzall and grind the whole knuckle off and replace it($150 at the wreckers) I had to sawzall the knuckle bolt into a few pieces to get that off too and picked up a replacement from the wreckers as well. I have to say the entire job was a giant pain in my ass but I got the struts and end links on both sides replaced and I'm happy about that. Next week is the front struts but I bought the whole assembly for both sides hopefully no bolts are stuck and the drivers side cv axle. Thank you guys for the help and suggestions.

·
Registered
643 Posts
They can be a pain in the butt for sure to get out. No doubt buying the whole assembly was by far easier for me. Suggest soaking all the nuts/bolts with B-blaster for at least a day. Sometimes the "blue flame" is one of the best tools to have and use in this situation. I use anti-seize compound on all my bolt threads and nuts in this application. If you plan to keep your Ridge as long as some of do in this forum, time will come when you will have to replace them, again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts