Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I was rear ended I've been looking at adding some rear protection to the ridge.
I sustained less damage than the vehicle that hit me thanks to my receiver.
I've looked at several hitch bumper protectors and was deciding between Romik hitch step that matches my side steps or a GoRino product.

Then I found a product that adds absorber function and towing depending on model type......Link.

My truck is still in the shop, so I've got time to decide, but I thought I would share this idea.
I have searched my State Laws and haven't found anything that shows driving with a hitch is illegal as long as the license plate isn't blocked.

Most of these bumper hitches are either 2.5" or 3", but the superbumper I'm looking at is 4".

Since we all like pics, I'll attach pics of the styles I'm looking at. :act024:

Attachments

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
SuperBumper 2008 ad vid.....lol

Only An Absolute Fool Would Buy Another Receiver Hitch Toy....youtube link.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
Do any of them provide a "Brake Light" within the bar. If so I'd consider one of those

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do any of them provide a "Brake Light" within the bar. If so I'd consider one of those

Just my $0.02
Good point, I've seen smaller ones with LED's, but haven't noticed longer ones (24"-36") with them.
I'll have to keep my eye out.

Thinking the 4" superbumper might be a little on the big/gaudy side, but thinking more of function over form.
I've noticed people tailgating my ridge more so than any other vehicle I've owned. There are not many RL's around here so maybe they are checking it out, dunno?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good for parking lot "taps" but anything else, not so good.
They claim to take a 4 mph hit w/o you even noticing it.
"Capability: Stops 1 ton @ 4.34 mph (without you feeling anything) - Withstands 15-20 mph impacts."
They also claim to reduce the chances of whiplash.

So just some added function that has me intrigued.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I like the look of the GoRhino one.

The impact is going to move to the hitch mounts, then the bumper on a hard enough hit.

In my state it's illegal to live the hitch ball installed when not towing. Not sure how they would look at the step.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like the look of the GoRhino one.

The impact is going to move to the hitch mounts, then the bumper on a hard enough hit.

In my state it's illegal to live the hitch ball installed when not towing. Not sure how they would look at the step.
Yeah the Go Rhino does look nice to me also. It's 36" long I believe.
I think the Romik is 30" and the SuperBumper is 24".

I was stopped waiting on traffic to make a left hand turn and was hit by a vehicle doing 35 mph.
The car that hit me was totaled. The entire front clip was crushed and they had to pry the door on it to get the driver out as it was smoking up the cab.

The estimated damage to the ridge was around $2200.00 usd and there is no doubt that it would've been more extensive if it wasn't for the receiver.

That's what got me looking at adding a little extra protection

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It looks like I'm not the only RL owner to think of the SuperBumper as they have customer pics of other RL's also.
Here is a black one...

Attachments

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Any of the hitch mounted step solutions is going to offer similar low speed protection. For the most part they're sacrificial components in an impact above parking lot maneuver speeds. Mine has saved 06 from several parking lot scrapes and bruises.

What I REALLY enjoy is the intermediate step.

IMO: go with what pleases your eye.

Skelly.jpg

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I see that superbumper also sells a absorber kit.
I'm thinking I could slot the holes in any/most hitch steps, add absorber kit to get both looks & function.
Worse case scenario would be a little cutting/welding at most.
A idear' anywho :p

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Check it out skelly. The GoRhino step did it's job tonight. In light rain, heavy traffic, 06 took a hit. Toyota something-or-other crumpled its nose - but good, GoRhino is a goner.

No bumper cover damage. If the step hadn't been there, I'm thinking damage could have been in the thousands. Pending a look down under, $80 should return her to normal.

WHEW!

BumperHit.jpg

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Be funny to see the look on someone's face if they rear ended you and they got out thinking at least they did as much to you as you did to them and they see your bumper guard is just bent but nothing else and their front end is tore/dented/bent all to hell, and maybe even smoking a bit :laugh:

If I didn't have my Hitchscan/Echo1 backup sensor in my receiver hitch, I would have a protector myself (I suppose it would provide a little protection itself, but not like those others).

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Check it out skelly. The GoRhino step did it's job tonight. In light rain, heavy traffic, 06 took a hit. Toyota something-or-other crumpled its nose - but good, GoRhino is a goner.

No bumper cover damage. If the step hadn't been there, I'm thinking damage could have been in the thousands. Pending a look down under, $80 should return her to normal.

WHEW!

View attachment 221377
Got around to popping off the Rhino step. First thing I noticed was how the tube was bent. I thought "tubes are supposed to be strong, how could it bend so easily"?

A knock on the tube (something I hadn't done before) returned a very shallow ring. Thin wall tubing works OK as a step, but.... In this incident, the it did its job keeping the offending vehicle from damaging the bumper skin, but under slightly different circumstances, things could have been much worse. This is a step, not rear protection. 06 was lucky this time around.

RhinoCrunch.jpg

RhinoCrunch1.jpg

RhinoCrunch2.jpg

This was purchased based on cosmetics. It'll be replaced with something more substantial.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
But if you think about it Oh6, you DO want this item to be your sacrificial link in the chain.... it's your "crumple zone" so-to-speak. If it's too stout, it may just relay the damage back up into the hitch (more expensive than the step), or even the frame itself (more expensive still). It's a bit of a fine balancing act, but it seems to me that you got the best result you could hope for from this incident.
If something's gonna' give, you want this to be the one. I'm just sayin'..... ;)

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
But if you think about it Oh6, you DO want this item to be your sacrificial link in the chain.... it's your "crumple zone" so-to-speak. If it's too stout, it may just relay the damage back up into the hitch (more expensive than the step), or even the frame itself (more expensive still). It's a bit of a fine balancing act, but it seems to me that you got the best result you could hope for from this incident.
If something's gonna' give, you want this to be the one. I'm just sayin'..... ;)
Funny you say that Dnick, I was thinking the same thing. A more stout step would transfer the damage elsewhere. If anything I'd be more interested in that exact step.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
This was purchased based on cosmetics. It'll be replaced with something more substantial.
Yeah, I get a feeling that most items for this application are thin wall tubing.
That's what got me thinking about buying the absorber kit and making my own.
I was thinking about regular schedule 80 or heavy wall pipe. Welding it to the absorber square stock, slotting the holes to fit the rest of the rubber kit, then bed liner coating maybe.
Still a thought atm, but gears are turning....lol.

I also thought about buying the superbumper as is or modifying it also.
Ugh, I had this on the back burner, but I think it's time to move it up the list.

Edit: http://superbumper.com/

1 - 20 of 24 Posts