Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Not a super critical issue, but somewhere along the way I've lost one of the upper phillips screws that hold the rear splash guards on. I have a replacement screw on hand, however it seems like that there should be a U-nut or some other backing in behind the wheel well plastic that would allow the screw to bite into and cinch down.

Right now, the screw slides into a void and all of the random U-nuts I have kicking around are too small or shallow to try and jam in there. I've tried to look/poke/feel around in behind, but it's full of ice and freezing outside. The local Honda guy had the screw, but none of his (or Bernardi Parts) catalogues list any part associated to that part of the bumper.

If any of you have had this area apart before, are you able to recall what, if anything, normally provides the backing for that screw? Would it be a U-nit clipped onto the wheel well plastic? It's too miserable out to try and pull the other side and have a look :(

Cheers,
Tom

·
Premium Member
2009 Ridgeline RTL (with nav) in Bali Blue Pearl
2,433 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks McChizzle,

I had a body shop do some work on the rear bumper a couple of years ago and wonder if maybe something was stripped or over torqued? Hmm, I guess I'll have to pull it apart when it warms up and see if I can't tuck something in behind there to let the screw bit into something solid :(

Cheers,
Tom

·
Registered
981 Posts
This has happened to me twice on 2 different RL's. The solid plastic mud guard in screwed into the plastic wheel well border. When you back up into something like a snow drift the unbendable mud flap breaks off the piece it was screwed into. This is why there is nothing backing it up. In my opinion a dumb design. A flexible mud flap would eliminate this from happening. If I get a round to it I'll photograph the piece I managed to break off yesterday

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks gene r -

I chipped the snow out, lifted the RL and removed the tire so I could get in there a bit better. As it turns out, both the upper and lower screws are held in place with U-nuts that are clipped onto the black plastic wheel well cover. It looks like the body shop may have originally missed getting the screw directly into the nut. Fortunately it was still hanging almost in place and I was able to reset it and get both screws cinched down without any difficulty :)
All is well once more, except that I still cannot feel my fingers!!! Winter sucks.......

Cheers,
Tom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts