Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys, I've done some searching and cant find anything recent on this problem and most of my searches point to areas already addressed. When driving over a pothole, the right rear suspension gives me a nice clunk noise. I've got a 2012 with 32,000 miles, the dealer has replaced the stabilizer links and rear shocks. Noise still persists, any other ideas?

Edit: Found another hint..Another post mentioned bump stops, but why would they make noise if not bottoming out?

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Hi Guys, I've done some searching and cant find anything recent on this problem and most of my searches point to areas already addressed. When driving over a pothole, the right rear suspension gives me a nice clunk noise. I've got a 2012 with 32,000 miles, the dealer has replaced the stabilizer links and rear shocks. Noise still persists, any other ideas?

Edit: Found another hint..Another post mentioned bump stops, but why would they make noise if not bottoming out?
They just do..... and be advised that the 'bump stop' issue is often amplified by cold weather. Find out if they just replaced the shock absorber unit, or then entire shock absorber assembly (spring, etc. included). If they replaced the assembly, that includes a new bump stop. If not, then they put the old one back on (unless a new bump stop is listed separately in addition to the shock absorber unit).
That's your next candidate in any case. You might also check the sway bar bushings themselves.

·
Premium Member
7,780 Posts
Make darn sure everything in the trunk is either out (Including the tray) or secured so that it doesn't bounce and create the noise.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I would check the trunk vent behind to spare to the right. My truck made an awful clunk nosie every now and the and lo and behold the vent assembly popped out and was bouncing on top of the gas tank or something else. I snapped it back in and also added some silicone to glue it in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dnick, looks like you might be the winner. Apparently there is a new TSB for this issue, stating exactly what you said. The cold weather amplification makes sense. I brought the truck in 3-4 times for this issue, every time the dealer applied a fix "the noise was gone." Well it was gone after the truck sat in a heated bay for a few hours.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This is very helpful; has been driving me crazy with my 2012. I even emptied the trunk, removed the tire and was going to remove the Bak Flip cover to try and determine the source!!

·
Registered
346 Posts
I had a popping sound coming from the right rear ( going over bumps like manhole covers). First mechanic, last year, could not repeat the noise. This year different mechanic lubed the suspension bushings. No luck. Went back again. This time, he replaced the whole assembly. The noise now seems to be gone. However, warmer weather has also set in.

By the way, the mechanic did review the Service Bulletin and even printed me a copy. He still believed it was a bad strut, but to better solve the problem without me returning with the same problem, he replaced the entire assembly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts