Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline Black Edition (formerly 2006 Ridgeline)
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am the original owner of an early build 2006 Ridgeline. I have been snake bit when it comes to windshields. I am on my 4th windshield with another slight chip (repaired). Hoping #5 not needed for some time.

The other day I left work to find the rearview mirror dangling from the wire harness. The glue gave up it grip on the windshield. Have figured out that you twist the clip or button off of the mirror and bought the repair kit to reglue the clip back on. However, none of my research finds any reference to a black patch sticker that is on the inside of the windshield where the mirror had been attached. Is this sticker delivered with the windshield or part of a previous repair kit? Anyone know if this should be scraped off or used as the surface to reattach the mirror clip?

Appreciate any insights.

BTW: Honda service department's solution was to replace the entire mirror and clip assembly for several hundred dollars $$$. Really? Come on now. What kind of solution is that? Dumb! So here I am trying to figure out each stupid step on my own. Shouldn't be this tough. :act060:

Rich

·
Registered
95 Posts
The black patch is not a sticker but a special coating that is all around the edge of the windshield and is supposed to be where the mirror mount is supposed to glue too. this coating is a porous type coating to let the glue or the Sealer (Around the Edge) to adhere to the glass. Since yours doesn't have one for the mirror You could try Masking off and only exposing the area where the mount will go with Clear packing tape Not painters tape and get some Etching Solution Like Amour Etch that will leave an abrasive/Porous type of surface on the glass to get the Epoxy to stick too. Be careful with this stuff some contain acid.
Be sure not to pick the type that works like a paint.

Don't know if this will work but it's a thought.
JSB

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline Black Edition (formerly 2006 Ridgeline)
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I came to the conclusion that the "patch" or "sticker" was actually part of the windshield. Perfect guide. I used a glue kit from the auto parts store and will let it sit for 24 hours rather then the 15 minutes suggested on the instructions. Am being extra cautious given that the Honda part actually twists into place. Don't want to rip the thing off with to much torque ater only 15 minutes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts