Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

One of my rear wheel studs is strippind badly. I was going to replace it during a brake pad job, but after taking the rotor off I see no way to get the stud off, nor put the new on back on.
Been looking online but have not found anything useful.
One person online took the ebrake parts off but still could not see a way to replace the stud.
Is this something better left off to a professional?

Thanks for your suggestions.

David

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
24,476 Posts

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E in pacific pewter metallic
2,953 Posts
I've had several "studs go bad". Every time my tire retailer replaced them for free because I purchased my tires from them. Just a service they provide for customers who buy their tires. Yes, it requires a press.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks everyone! Yeah I am pretty new to auto maintenance. I shaved the stud some using a combination of dremmel and bastard file. This allowed me to get the nut to pass over the threads properly. Next time I get tires rotated I'll ask my budy if he can replace the stud. I bought one in hopes of doing this myself but alas noooo. Trying to save some money as I'm between jobs.

It looks like this is a pretty simple procedure on certain vehicles, but not the '06 Ridgeline! :)

·
Super Moderator
24,476 Posts
I'm still puzzled by some of you having issues with having to replace wheel bolts. I rotate tires every OCI and have yet to have this problem with 230k miles between the Pilot and RL.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E in pacific pewter metallic
2,953 Posts
One reason mine "wear out" is I'm anal about rotating my tires every 5,000 miles (along with oil changes). After several million miles of driving with Les Schwab's tires, they have always rotated my tires and replaced studs, FREE.

·
Super Moderator
24,476 Posts
You have a nice deal there!

With OCIs around 6500 - 7000 miles, I'm not far behind you on those tire rotations.

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
You might consider saving yourself some effort & $. If it's just one stud, I'd get a die of the appropriate thread size & chase the threads.
It's not difficult at all, but you do need to have the die.

If you can't borrow one, you can in all likelihood get a "good" local mechanic, or certainly a machine shop to chase those threads for no more than $20. or so???

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Attached is a photo of the stud in question - as you can see there is no re-threading it. I'm 90% certain the dealership screws this up and made it worse somehow when they tried to re-thread it.
As I stated yesterday, for now I was able to cut away sharp edges, file the threads so they would be nice and smooth for the nuts to pass over the gap. (I also changed the nut because I suspected its thread were fubar too).

As for the difficulty replacing the stud itself, I wish I had taken a shot from above. On my vehicle there is zero chance of removing a stud with further disassembly. The head of the stud is only a few millimeters from the next component (sorry no idea what it's called I am really new to this). I've seen posts where people file and cut the head of the new stud to finagle it in but at the end of the day I'll just take this to my tire guy and see what he can do for me during my next trip.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I had the very same thing happen to me when I had a local shop do some work on my vehicle. They pulled the rear driver’s side tire off and, when they went to put it back on, one of the studs snapped off. I haven’t had that happen to a vehicle in years. I argued with the owner of garage…that they were the ones who caused the damage, because the dumb-a$$ mechanic probably had his air wrench cranked up to high, and he was the one who snapped it off…therefore, they should be the ones to replace it. Of course they refused to take any responsibility and they refused to fixed their f—k-up (needless to say, it was the last time I went there for any mechanical work).

I called around to 5 or 6 different places and all the estimates were in the same ballpark…right around $300. I thought that was outrageous, but every place was within $10-$15 of each other…so I had it done by the dealership…since I had a %20 off coupon.

This used to be an easy fix. “Back in the day” it seemed like those studs would strip so easy, I was replacing them all the time, and it was pretty simple. Now you need the right tools (namely a press) to do the job right. I don’t have one, so I had to pony up with $250+ to have the job done for me. Stupid expensive…that’s why I rotate my tires myself…hand tighten all the lug nuts and use a torque wrench to make sure they are not over-tightened. Takes a little more time, but a lot cheaper than having to replace another stud.

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
Holy Crap! What the heck did they DO to that thing???? I'm dumbfounded to imagine how you make that damage by accident!

I don't have the repair service manual handy, but I'm pretty sure you have to remove the hub to replace that stud. If that's the case, I'd extremely surprised if anyone would do that for free. And $300 is not as far fetched as if they were dealing with something simpler.

·
Super Moderator
24,476 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.