Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Administrator
16,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time I wash my 2019 RTL-E, water drips down the inside of the rear window on the driver's side.

It seems like the whole rear window assembly creaks and pops when the vehicle twists. My '17 creaked and popped, too, but it didn't leak anywhere (that I know of).

I haven't noticed or paid attention to whether or not it leaks just sitting out in the rain.

·
Premium Member
4,305 Posts
I recall some members had bad (rough) welds under the weatherstripping near the top of the door. Curious if those are hand-welded, or just poorly-calibrated robots...

·
Administrator
16,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got those rough welds, too. Looks like someone who never welded a day in their life bought a cheap wire welder from an import tool store and went to town. :)

An employees places individual door components on a jig, presses a button, and the robots do the rest.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Time to visit the dealer?
Sorry to hear about the issue. Hard to get a problem free vehicle these days.

·
Administrator
16,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have no plans to visit the dealer at this time. It appears to be dripping rather the pouring, so there's probably no pooling that would result in mildew and/or rust. Chances are the vehicle will be long gone before it becomes an issue.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,670 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,286 Posts
Reactions: Sparkland

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,286 Posts
Pull the headliner and the water test to find the leak, it is more than likely it’s somewhere else and just exposing itself in that corner. I wish I could provide more feedback.

Might want to bump this thread and see if any of the other members have had it return. I see you posted in it about 6 months ago

This is a real shame as several G1’s have had leaks and some members were able to resolve under warranty others had to DIY the solution

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
LONG GONE, For Sure!!!
It is for these reasons (among others) that I will never purchase another vehicle assembled at the Alabama plant. On two separate occasions I have had water leaking into the cabin on my '14 SE, both assessed as failure (or improper application) of sealant in critical areas.
All out of warranty, of course.
And dealer's windshield out-source guy broke my windshield to boot which, because they identified that as a "possible but unlikely" chance beforehand, they claimed was on me as well.
I requested that the service mgr. have the regional rep contact me to discuss apparent problems with sealant application at that plant ... never heard a word.
Companies can give in to the chance to optimize profit by moving to these "right-to-work" states and gobble up benefits from the local government incentives, while refusing to import trained union members, but if this is the result, they can pi__ up a rope as far as I am concerned.
Am I disappointed .... yep.

·
Super Moderator
22,670 Posts
It is for these reasons (among others) that I will never purchase another vehicle assembled at the Alabama plant. On two separate occasions I have had water leaking into the cabin on my '14 SE, both assessed as failure (or improper application) of sealant in critical areas.
All out of warranty, of course.
And dealer's windshield out-source guy broke my windshield to boot which, because they identified that as a "possible but unlikely" chance beforehand, they claimed was on me as well.
I requested that the service mgr. have the regional rep contact me to discuss apparent problems with sealant application at that plant ... never heard a word.
Companies can give in to the chance to optimize profit by moving to these "right-to-work" states and gobble up benefits from the local government incentives, while refusing to import trained union members, but if this is the result, they can pi__ up a rope as far as I am concerned.
Am I disappointed .... yep.
Whereas my 2006 Pilot built in Alabama has been great with no water leaks or problems... just wear and tear items.

OTOH, my Canadian built 2008 Ridgeline had an interior water leak Honda could not find under warranty. So out of warranty, I finally grew tired of it and paid to have it fixed. Honda did share in the expense to repair a connector that shorted out behind the dash of my RIdgeline, unrelated to the water leak, afaik.

Say what you will.. but anecdotal evidence will fall on both sides of that equation.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Whereas my 2006 Pilot built in Alabama has been great with no water leaks or problems... just wear and tear items.

OTOH, my Canadian built 2008 Ridgeline had an interior water leak Honda could not find under warranty. So out of warranty, I finally grew tired of it and paid to have it fixed. Honda did share in the expense to repair a connector that shorted out behind the dash of my RIdgeline, unrelated to the water leak, afaik.

Say what you will.. but anecdotal evidence will fall on both sides of that equation.
Overall I agree with you, Speedlever.
And that was my attitude following the first leak. Happens.
But after second episode, and never having a vehicle with cabin water leaks in the past, my attitude just pivoted. Compounded by Honda's laissez-faire response.
Maybe earlier poster is correct - perhaps it is just result of robotic application in the process. Or substandard product as sealant.
Apology for my rant.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have the opposite problem when I run my 2018 RTL-E through the car wash... It leaks on the outside of the rear window, leaving streaks. Seems like there needs to be a better seal where that 3 sided shroud is. It just holds water until you get on the freeway and blast it out, but by then, you have dried streaks.

·
Super Moderator
22,670 Posts
Overall I agree with you, Speedlever.
And that was my attitude following the first leak. Happens.
But after second episode, and never having a vehicle with cabin water leaks in the past, my attitude just pivoted. Compounded by Honda's laissez-faire response.
Maybe earlier poster is correct - perhaps it is just result of robotic application in the process. Or substandard product as sealant.
Apology for my rant.
Bottom line, there is simply no excuse for modern vehicles to have interior water leaks. IMO, of course. I think my sister had a domestic wagon years ago that leaked so badly it began growing stuff inside. Yikes. And while these cases tend to be the outliers (I hope), I still find no excuse for interior water leaks. That shouldn't ever be an issue.

Reactions: Carsmak

·
Registered
447 Posts
I don't know about Texas, but in California you have to disclose anything wrong with the vehicle when you sell it. Creaks & pops & a small leak would all decrease the value. It's under warranty so I'd get it fixed. My 2007 had a lot of bad welds, probably welded on Monday morning or Friday afternoon. You don't know what else is wrong; you could roll it & have the roof collapse because something wasn't built right. One reason I don't replace my vehicles often is because I don't like to deal with all the little crap that often goes wrong on a new one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
2017 Ridgeline has water leak on top of the rear window. Dealer has tried to seal it 4 times and nothing has fixed it. Any ideas?
View attachment 394095
UPDATE: After 9 months of my truck leaking water from the rear passenger side window area and having one Honda dealer work on the truck for over a month, I took the truck to a different Honda dealership. This was the last chance to get it fix as I was about to trade it after only owning 10 months. I only ask for a diagnosis of the problem and told them what had been done to that point. After 4 days they told me it was fixed. They said the problem was not the rear window but a roof seam above the window. They sealed it up. It has been over a month, and the truck has been in many rain storms, but no more leak.

·
Super Moderator
5,369 Posts
@Carsmak was totally correct:
"Pull the headliner and the water test to find the leak, it is more than likely it’s somewhere else and just exposing itself in that corner..."

·
Registered
37 Posts
Bringing this one back from the dead. I've been dealing with this issue for a few months now. The dealer has attempted to fix it 3 times by first replacing the window, then reinstalling the window, then just resealing. I'm taking it back in on Monday and will have them look at the seam above the window as Pilotpod23 has pointed out. I Hope they can get it fixed, otherwise I'll attempt a buyback via the Lemon Law.

·
Administrator
16,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bringing this one back from the dead. I've been dealing with this issue for a few months now. The dealer has attempted to fix it 3 times by first replacing the window, then reinstalling the window, then just resealing. I'm taking it back in on Monday and will have them look at the seam above the window as Pilotpod23 has pointed out. I Hope they can get it fixed, otherwise I'll attempt a buyback via the Lemon Law. View attachment 401475
That looks all too familiar. :( My 2019 was leaking just like yours on the driver's side. I had the dealer address the leak and several other items while having my transmission replaced at 14,000 miles and now it leaks in three places.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,925 Posts
1 - 20 of 59 Posts