Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
That looks all too familiar. :( My 2019 was leaking just like yours on the driver's side. I had the dealer address the leak and several other items while having my transmission replaced at 14,000 miles and now it leaks in three places.
Bringing this one back from the dead. I've been dealing with this issue for a few months now. The dealer has attempted to fix it 3 times by first replacing the window, then reinstalling the window, then just resealing. I'm taking it back in on Monday and will have them look at the seam above the window as Pilotpod23 has pointed out. I Hope they can get it fixed, otherwise I'll attempt a buyback via the Lemon Law. View attachment 401475
It’s hard to deal with the dealership when they are convinced it’s the window. After what happened to me, I would not let them keep resealing the window. They did that so many times to my truck that I lost count. Plus they damage a lot of the trims around my window. That leak must really look like a window leak, because it had my dealership total tricked. I like this dealership and had been going to them for 20 years. In the end I had to try another Honda dealership and lucked out they they had seen 1 leak like this before. They said it was the roof seam. my Truck has not leaked since and it’s been about a year now. To make you all feel a little better, I don’t think this leak is that common.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Washed my 19' RTL yesterday and noticed later that my rear window is leaking in two places-drivers and passenger corners....

·
Registered
30 Posts
It’s hard to deal with the dealership when they are convinced it’s the window. After what happened to me, I would not let them keep resealing the window. They did that so many times to my truck that I lost count. Plus they damage a lot of the trims around my window. That leak must really look like a window leak, because it had my dealership total tricked. I like this dealership and had been going to them for 20 years. In the end I had to try another Honda dealership and lucked out they they had seen 1 leak like this before. They said it was the roof seam. my Truck has not leaked since and it’s been about a year now. To make you all feel a little better, I don’t think this leak is that common.
My dealership finally gave up on the window after the 5th time of re-doing it. They did finally get the corners to stop leaking though so that was good. There still is a mystery leak that is keeping my carpet soaking wet. They are now tearing it down to the bare metal to try and figure it out. I told them about the roof seam and they are looking at that as well.

Washed my 19' RTL yesterday and noticed later that my rear window is leaking in two places-drivers and passenger corners....
Oh man, the road you are about to go down is a long and difficult one. Hopefully your dealership gets it figured out.

·
Registered
53 Posts
What can be done to the "roof seam" to seal it? Can I tear this down myself? I am NOT confidant in my Honda dealership here....

·
Registered
48 Posts
Wow! That’s a lot of work to fix a water leak. The dealer must have received direction from Honda to do this level of disassembly. Sorry for your troubles but good pictures of what’s under the skin of our trucks. Did they also remove the rear seat to find the source of the leak? Can’t imagine the dealer would put the truck back together without being 100% sure the leak is solved. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Every time I wash my 2019 RTL-E, water drips down the inside of the rear window on the driver's side.

It seems like the whole rear window assembly creaks and pops when the vehicle twists. My '17 creaked and popped, too, but it didn't leak anywhere (that I know of).

I haven't noticed or paid attention to whether or not it leaks just sitting out in the rain.

View attachment 393987
The last two times I washed my truck at the car wash with a wand, I noticed a slight bit of water like your picture. I've owned the truck a couple weeks short of a year now. During that time, the truck has seen numerous downpours from rain. I never see the leak in those instances. Only the last two times I have washed it, and the glass takes a direct hit from the wand.

Some of the pictures in this thread make me cringe. I'll continue to keep an eye out on it, but if that's the only time I see the little bit or water, I'm not going to mess with it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Wow! That’s a lot of work to fix a water leak. The dealer must have received direction from Honda to do this level of disassembly. Sorry for your troubles but good pictures of what’s under the skin of our trucks. Did they also remove the rear seat to find the source of the leak? Can’t imagine the dealer would put the truck back together without being 100% sure the leak is solved. Thanks for sharing.
Yep, there has been a Honda of America technician at the dealership overseeing the repair of my truck. They have removed the rear seat 7 times now throughout this process. You would think they would test it before giving it back to me but like I said, it's been in 7 times now for a total of 55 days.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yep, there has been a Honda of America technician at the dealership overseeing the repair of my truck. They have removed the rear seat 7 times now throughout this process. You would think they would test it before giving it back to me but like I said, it's been in 7 times now for a total of 55 days.
I’m sure they didn’t pull the bed apart the other 6 times. If they don’t fix it this time, maybe they’ll give you a new truck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I’m sure they didn’t pull the bed apart the other 6 times. If they don’t fix it this time, maybe they’ll give you a new truck.
Nope, the other six times were focused on the rear window which was replaced 4 times, and removed and reinstalled twice. I doubt that will happen without legal intervention.

·
Registered
2018 Ridgeline RTL-E
8 Posts
I just bought my 2018 RTL-E a few weeks ago, 38000 miles. I brought it home and gave it a good car wash to remove all the pollen cakes in it. The last few days I started doing some of the classic mods, door checkers, dynamat, removing the floor trim in the rear.

When I took the seat rail plastic trim off of the floor in the rear seat area, I noticed water that looked like a lot more than condensation. A couple hours later, I had the rear seats removed and the back half of the carpet pulled up in attempt to dry the extremely saturated carpet and foam. Looks like the water has gone up to the front seat area as well, so I guess I'll need to rip out the entire carpet to dry it out.

I guess while everything is apart I'll need to do a leak check to look for where it's coming from. Not really what I wanted to spend my weekend doing.

Unfortunately, I'm out of warranty and it sounds like this is not a big enough issue for Honda to have issued a TSB. Do we have any idea how many trucks have been affected by this issue? I'm guessing most people aren't checking under their carpets for water....

·
Registered
2019 RT Ridgeline ~ Luna Silver
433 Posts
I just bought my 2018 RTL-E a few weeks ago, 38000 miles. I brought it home and gave it a good car wash to remove all the pollen cakes in it. The last few days I started doing some of the classic mods, door checkers, dynamat, removing the floor trim in the rear.

When I took the seat rail plastic trim off of the floor in the rear seat area, I noticed water that looked like a lot more than condensation. A couple hours later, I had the rear seats removed and the back half of the carpet pulled up in attempt to dry the extremely saturated carpet and foam. Looks like the water has gone up to the front seat area as well, so I guess I'll need to rip out the entire carpet to dry it out.

I guess while everything is apart I'll need to do a leak check to look for where it's coming from. Not really what I wanted to spend my weekend doing.

Unfortunately, I'm out of warranty and it sounds like this is not a big enough issue for Honda to have issued a TSB. Do we have any idea how many trucks have been affected by this issue? I'm guessing most people aren't checking under their carpets for water....
Search for leaks on this forum. There are some known areas. Rear sunroof drain near the subwoofer and the rear horizontal seam across the back of the truck near the bed drain holes is a problem area.
no fun. :(.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
3,578 Posts
Search for leaks on this forum. There are some known areas. Rear sunroof drain near the subwoofer and the rear horizontal seam across the back of the truck near the bed drain holes is a problem area.
no fun. :(.
Though this sucks, it cannot be as bad as a current generation Odyssey owner who came to find his third row stowage space become a small swimming pool. Not to mention the third row was folded down. It was a seam that was not sealed well and it was from the water getting kicked up from the rear tires.

I feel all your pain about the damn water leak. They are no fun, annoying and just downright dejecting. Hope you guys, who have issues, look at the threads where the leaks are occurring from and just get it fixed at home.

·
Registered
2019 RT Ridgeline ~ Luna Silver
433 Posts
Though this sucks, it cannot be as bad as a current generation Odyssey owner who came to find his third row stowage space become a small swimming pool. Not to mention the third row was folded down. It was a seam that was not sealed well and it was from the water getting kicked up from the rear tires.

I feel all your pain about the damn water leak. They are no fun, annoying and just downright dejecting. Hope you guys, who have issues, look at the threads where the leaks are occurring from and just get it fixed at home.
Yikes!!! I’ve seen quiet a few reports of leaks on RL’s and pilots. It’s crazy. I’ve owned allot of Honda’s. And this is the first time I’ve seen these seam seal issues direct from the factory.

Found water in my 19! I got lucky and went looking for it. So I found it early....
Dealer was clueless and not helpful.
saying they haven’t seen any reports on ANY Honda’s! They have their heads in the sand once the money is in there hand!
So it was a DIY project! 🔧👊🏻

*my CRV leaked but it was a section of rotten sealer and the car was 10 years old. Not something I blame Honda for.
Found, fixed and still dry at 14 years old 👍🏻

21 - 40 of 59 Posts