Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Oh man. That is so frustrating. I would think that leak would have to be the roof seam. Sure seems like Honda is having an issue with their seam sealants failing with age. Wonder if it’s mfg, design or bad materials.

·
Registered
2019 RT Ridgeline ~ Luna Silver
477 Posts
Oh man. That is so frustrating. I would think that leak would have to be the roof seam. Sure seems like Honda is having an issue with their seam sealants failing with age. Wonder if it’s mfg, design or bad materials.
I’m wondering if they’ve switched application processes...Because all models are leaking at the body seams randomly...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Owners of RLs, Pilots, Passports and Odys all reporting water intrusion issues. All built at the Alabama plant. The roof seam has been problematic on many Honda models but typically occurs on older vehicles and is associated with corrosion In the roof seam area.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I see that my decision to lease instead of buy was the smart one after all.

Maybe the 2023 models won't be leaky when my lease is up in 3 years. Then again, they'll probably have 4 cylinder turbo engines and CVTs by then.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I see that my decision to lease instead of buy was the smart one after all.

Maybe the 2023 models won't be leaky when my lease is up in 3 years. Then again, they'll probably have 4 cylinder turbo engines and CVTs by then.
Just as an FYI, Vaquero45, our 2019 has been getting wet for the past six months or so from all of the Oregon Sunshine, (rain), that it has been subjected to and we have no wet rear window or floor boards.

Bill

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yikes!!! I’ve seen quiet a few reports of leaks on RL’s and pilots. It’s crazy. I’ve owned allot of Honda’s. And this is the first time I’ve seen these seam seal issues direct from the factory.

Found water in my 19! I got lucky and went looking for it. So I found it early....
Dealer was clueless and not helpful.
saying they haven’t seen any reports on ANY Honda’s! They have their heads in the sand once the money is in there hand!
So it was a DIY project! 🔧👊🏻

*my CRV leaked but it was a section of rotten sealer and the car was 10 years old. Not something I blame Honda for.
Found, fixed and still dry at 14 years old 👍🏻
So where was your leak?

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
3,772 Posts
Owners of RLs, Pilots, Passports and Odys all reporting water intrusion issues. All built at the Alabama plant. The roof seam has been problematic on many Honda models but typically occurs on older vehicles and is associated with corrosion In the roof seam area.
Not all owners, not all models and trims, and not in the same place for respective models.

For example, I have a 2019 Odyssey Elite with 41K+ miles. No water issues and it has seen its fair share of rain, snow, and car washes. It is just unfortunate for those who get them and have to deal with it, luckily, there are these awesome forums that steer us in the right way to address them very quickly.

·
Registered
85 Posts
It’s hard to tell from forum posts how many leakers exist. I suspect it’s a very small percentage of vehicles. My 2019 Pilot and RL have been fine so far. Just curious what the root cause is for the leaks. Is it missed or incorrect application of sealant, sealant material failure or torsional stresses breaking the sealant. I’ve thought about removing the roof rail trim on my RL to check for sealant but then a voice in my head says, “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” (My Dad’ favorite saying!). I also appreciate that this forum has awesome members that share their problems so all of can learn from their experiences.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Add me to the list; I have lurked this site for years and finally bought a used 2019 RTL-E in January of this year; had been a flawless ride thus far, but I had seen this post and got curious about my own truck; so, last night I walk out to my truck and shine a flashlight at the rear window to assess for any interior water spots, similar to what ZRoger had posted in a recent video. And to my surprise, there were some spots present. So I then poured a bottle of water on the roof and waited a few minutes. Sure enough, drops of water begin beading up and falling down the drivers side rear window. I have since poured more in the day light and it leaks very consistent.

Now, it doesn't appear to be a large amount at any given time, however, I would like to fix it. Based on what I am seeing reported on this site, I am not comfortable trusting a dealer ship technician to rip apart the truck to "attempt" to fix the problem. So, I think i'm going to try removing the roof moulding and rear window trim to take a look myself.

My question, what sealant area specifically has been shown to take care of this problem? The welds under the roof rack moulding area, or the area underneath the third brake light trim?

Thanks in advance for any insight; very frustrating to say the least. Especially on a vehicle with less than 17,000 miles on it when I bought it.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I had a leak in the driver's side rear door as well. The dealership looked at it and found that a weld hadn't been properly finished. They caulked the gap a few months ago, and, so far, it's been through several rainstorms without any noticeable leaks.

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,802 Posts
I’m wondering if they’ve switched application processes...Because all models are leaking at the body seams randomly...
I had a leak in the fire wall behind the glove box of my 2014 SE a few months into ownership. Had the interior removed and all seams re-sealed under warranty. This is not a new issue for Honda.

Reactions: YetiXing

·
Registered
51 Posts
I hate the garbage coming out of there. There are way too many fit and finish issues coming out of that plant and that's enough for me to avoid the brand. Serious.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I hate the garbage coming out of there. There are way too many fit and finish issues coming out of that plant and that's enough for me to avoid the brand. Serious.
I own a 2019 Pilot and a 2019 RL and both have been trouble free so far. (But I have developed a fetish for checking under floor mats for wet carpet!). Also owned a 2005 Ody that never required warranty work and was rock solid reliable for 15 years and 170K miles. So I have no complaints regarding Ala built vehicles. I suspect most owners won’t experience initial quality problems such as are posted in forums. For the 2019 JD Power APEAL awards, the Ody won it’s category and the RL was a close second in it’s category. So at least according to this industry metric, these Honda models from the Ala plant still rank high in quality and owner satisfaction. Of course if your vehicle has issues awards don’t help - you just want your car fixed.

·
Registered
2019 RT Ridgeline ~ Luna Silver
477 Posts
So where was your leak?
I never had a smoking gun. I lifted carpet and dried carpet padding.
I did multiple water test (which is all the delaship would have done, as I was told when I stopped by)
I was never able to recreate or find water intrusion. So I made a long list of all locations that have been a problem for these trucks (and pilots) in the past and inspected. If anything did not look thoroughly sealed, I added extra seam sealer to that area. Rear seam under window along bed, firewall, fender well seams and grommets. (Not my first rodeo) I left my trim pieces off for about a month, which didn’t really bother me, it made it easy to stick my hand under and inspect.
Before I did anything I took to dealership and had a work order generated stating what the shop manager found. Printed a hard copy. Later I talked w him and he closed the work order. But I have a documented history if it ever shows up again. I still check now and then. But all is dry.

Now. As I’ve posted before. I walked outside one morning to find my windows rolled down. This was MONTHS AFTER the leak was found. Turned out I must have pressed the unlock button when going inside and rolled them down. I since picked up a remote case. So, saying this. The water could have come from the same thing happening when the truck was initially detailed as part of the dealer prep. It was found within a month or so of purchase. So who knows. Could have been human error. I will monitor carpets for a while I’m sure.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts