Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear window has been reluctant to open for the past few years. It opens slowly, as if the motor (regulator) is struggling, and usually stalls at about 2" open. This is sufficient to vent the truck during summer or provide airflow through the sunroof (to cancel out the resonance at ~30mph!!).
CLOSING the window is never a problem - it operates with normal speed/force.
I have tried lubricating the tracks with silicone spray a couple of times (and made a mess in the process!) but that didn't help much. Occasionally it might get to half-way open if it feels like it.
This past w/e I thought I'd try to lubricate it again and help it along by forcing it open by hand... Bad mistake!! I was able to move it an inch or so by hand, then operated the 'open' switch (seeming to take up the tension somehow), then move it by hand again - I did this about a half dozen times. From the fully open position it closed normally but now it will barely move in the open direction at all :(
What I can't figure out is that the service manual seems to show only one motor for opening & closing, yet the closed direction still works fine. I would think that if the motor was bad that it wouldn't work in either direction?

Anyone have any insight or suggestions for a DIY fix? I see from the service manual that it is a massive amount of work to get to the motor (removing rear seat, trim, etc.) so am sure a dealer will charge $$$ to troubleshoot and fix.
I searched this forum and the internet but can find anyone else reporting this exact problem.

Thx!

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
If the motor is wearing out, and there is more play between parts, it is possible it could run better in one direction than the other.
Make sure the glass is properly aligned in the channel. The FS manual tells you how to check this as well.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,780 Posts
As another poster mentioned; check the cable. My was porked from day one until the stealer replaced the window assembly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts