Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you could pick one or the other - a rearview camera or backup sensors - which would you choose? They're both pretty expensive, and I'd appreciate comments on the relative merits of each.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I'd vote for the backup camera. On my wife's pilot it has one and I must admit they are pretty neat. The clarity is very good for such a small screen.

L

·
0 Posts
I'm an old truck driver...still prefer the original back up sensors.
Eyes, Ears and Mirrors!! :D

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
There was no contest in my opinion. We went for the backup camera and we don't regret it a bit.

We've never had either. I was especially nervous about the blind spot while backing the Ridge. I'm only 5'5" and I'm sure that's part of it. I'm used to seeing much more out the rearview mirror. The rear headrests had to go too (unless we have passengers).

When it came to the merits of each, one of the things that won me over is simply the "cool" factor of the backup camera. The view is awesome, though we didn't discover that until after we had it installed.

Our backup camera gets a lot of ooohs and awwhs when we show off our truck.

Here's a link where I posted photos of what I can see with the three mirrors and what the back up camera shows.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=563&highlight=back+camera

·
Registered
774 Posts
Nice link. I agree the backup camera is a great device. Now if I had one too:rolleyes:

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
I went for both. We have both on our '05 Ody and I was definitley going to get both for the Ridgeline.

·
Registered
236 Posts
My wife's Pilot has the camera and it is very cool. My kids love watching it while she backs up. It reminds me of the cameras on some planes where you can watch takeoff and landing. :)

Anyway, I think the camera is a great asset. My Expedition I used to have had the sensors and I loved them. Well, except for when it was raining or I was backing up our camper. I would totally trust them when backing up and they never failed me. I do wish I had one or the other on my Ridgeline but mine is a company vehicle that was leased so I won't be adding either.

Hope my .02 helps.

RidgeInTheVille

·
Registered
383 Posts
I think that if you can do both, that is the best case scenario. I don't have the NAV screen so I went with the sensors. I think one of the advantages of the sensors is that once activated, they are always "looking" when you are in reverse. With the camera, there is always a chance that you may glance away (ie making sure your front end clears the car parked next to you as you back up) and in that moment you could have something enter your rear path. I have found that the sensors are relatively quick to pick up even moving objects behind the Ridge. The one thing they could improve with the sensors is to automatically reduce the radio volume when they are activated.

If you are going to be doing a lot of towing then the camera will win hands down as you will be able to see the trailer hitch.

My 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
The rearview camera is our choice as well.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
My wife's Ody has the backup camera.....I had sensors put on my RL (no navi)......I prefer the camera.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Agreed backup camera. I've had both. My wife's lexus is a bit nicer just because the factory "hides" it so well. Not sure I really like the big camera hanging off the tailgate ... but it is a MUST IMHO.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I vote for the rearview camera too. That’s part of the reason we have the NAV when purchase.

Anyone have experience/suggestion about the hidden license plate backup camera?

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
BackUp Camera! We love it. It's absolutely great when backing up to leave a parallel parking spot . . . you can come withing 3 or 4 inches of the car behind if you really want/need to. Visability is great.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Dnick said:
BackUp Camera! We love it. It's absolutely great when backing up to leave a parallel parking spot . . . you can come withing 3 or 4 inches of the car behind if you really want/need to. Visability is great.
I'll 2nd that... can't be beat for backing into a spot.. very little room for drivers error;) . I'm always within 2 to 4 inches clearance from cars, walls whatever:)
Also backing out my drive.. 120 feet, it's great at night!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts