Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dropped off my truck today for the wire harness recall, they said it would be a few days as they gave me the keys to a civic. I’ve had the Ridgeline since the beginning of July and here’s a few things I noticed.
My Ridgeline has the Blind Spot system BLIS. The Civic has that camera in the passenger side rearview that displays the images in the center console. I know some Ridgelines also have this feature. Question (or more of a rhetorical smartass remark). If you are looking at your center console how can you be looking out the window when switching lanes? I know some people like this feature – seems insane to me.

Driving the Civic after being in the Ridgeline for about 7 months; going down the NJ Turnpike I feel like my dog scooting his ass across the floor it’s that low. I know this is just a preference thing, but damn I got used to being up higher very quickly. Not that my cars before were as low as the Civic.

The Ridgeline is my first car with built in Navigation. I used to say, I have it my phone what’s the difference. The Civic doesn’t have it and there is a huge difference going back to my phone. They both work, but the convenience is unquestionable – it is just better. The question just comes down to; is it worth the cost?

I know I’ll be digging the much better gas mileage in the next few days, but I already miss my truck.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I'm currently getting the A recall done and I'm in a '16 CRV...makes me like my Ridgeline even more. The CRV is fine and I bet the '17 redesign is better, but I'll be happy to get my Ridgeline back.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Dropped off my truck today for the wire harness recall, they said it would be a few days as they gave me the keys to a civic. I’ve had the Ridgeline since the beginning of July and here’s a few things I noticed.
My Ridgeline has the Blind Spot system BLIS. The Civic has that camera in the passenger side rearview that displays the images in the center console. I know some Ridgelines also have this feature. Question (or more of a rhetorical smartass remark). If you are looking at your center console how can you be looking out the window when switching lanes? I know some people like this feature – seems insane to me.

Driving the Civic after being in the Ridgeline for about 7 months; going down the NJ Turnpike I feel like my dog scooting his ass across the floor it’s that low. I know this is just a preference thing, but damn I got used to being up higher very quickly. Not that my cars before were as low as the Civic.

The Ridgeline is my first car with built in Navigation. I used to say, I have it my phone what’s the difference. The Civic doesn’t have it and there is a huge difference going back to my phone. They both work, but the convenience is unquestionable – it is just better. The question just comes down to; is it worth the cost?

I know I’ll be digging the much better gas mileage in the next few days, but I already miss my truck.
You are in luck then as Honda has abandoned the Lane Watch for the 17 CRV. I have grown to love it in my Accord and wife's CRV (our 3rd CRV) but it looks like it will be history going forward. Not a fan of the CVT. Although competent, it's a pig off the line and boring so when the CRV is due for replacement will have to switch brands.

·
Registered
77 Posts
My wife drives a 2016 Civic and I drive a 2016 Ram 1500... I feel the same way with how low it is anytime I drive the Civic. Definitely prefer the height of a truck, but the new Civic does feel very sporty with how low it is, and ours is the 1.5 turbo model and in sport mode it is pretty dang quick. Fun to drive and gets great mileage but I am always more comfortable in my truck.

As for the lane watch, I like it a lot actually. I glance in the mirror and then check the screen. Eliminates needing to check your blind spot and is also very handy for parallel parking. I find myself looking for it when driving my truck sometimes even. I think it is a great feature but if you aren't used to it I can see how it would seem weird.

Our Civic does not have built in navigation, but it does have Apple Carplay so essentially the same thing. Phone is always plugged in right when I start the car and can use the maps app right on the screen.

Overall the 2016 and 2017 Civics are very good cars. I was particularly impressed with how much bigger they are than older Civic models. Plenty of space for me at 6'4'' 225 lbs in the front and the back. Nice big trunk as well. I'm glad we purchased one last year.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I also don't get the whole side view on your council thing to change lanes. Something I don't really feel comfortable doing.... The backup camera I get, but only once you've already backed up to where you mostly want to be.

The ride height did take some adjusting to. I roughly measured seat height to ground in my car vs truck, and it's about 12 inches and 26 inches respectively. LOL. It makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm currently getting the A recall done and I'm in a '16 CRV...makes me like my Ridgeline even more. The CRV is fine and I bet the '17 redesign is better, but I'll be happy to get my Ridgeline back.

You are in luck then as Honda has abandoned the Lane Watch for the 17 CRV. I have grown to love it in my Accord and wife's CRV (our 3rd CRV) but it looks like it will be history going forward. Not a fan of the CVT. Although competent, it's a pig off the line and boring so when the CRV is due for replacement will have to switch brands.[/QUOTE]

Just a few things to note on the 2017 CRV, and I can only speak for the Canadian Edition as that is what my girlfriend purchased a few weeks ago. She has the EX-L trim, which is slotted right below the Touring. Lane watch is standard on all trims here except for the Touring, which gets the same blind spot monitoring system as the Ridgeline. The Canadian EXL also gets the auto dimming headlights as well as heated steering wheel and heated rear outboard seats. Apple Car Play and Android auto is also on it. As far as the other changes they've made to the CRV, it is in my opinion quite improved over the previous generation. My girlfriend had a 2014 before this one and from my perspective, the 2017 has improved in terms of cab noise insulation, suspension smoothness, steering feel and overall handling. The rear seats have an extra 2 inches of leg room and the quality of the interior is quite impressive. The seats are well bolstered and extremely supportive, dare I say better than the Ridgeline's. The CVT is not my favorite choice either for a transmission and it does take a little bit to get used to the initial lag when mashing the pedal, but it does move quite well after that. The extra availability of torque in the lower RPM range is great, and the engine is very smooth save for a bit of a growl/rumble at slow idle, nonetheless it's a very good engine with as linear of a power delivery as possible for a Turbo. Fuel economy has so far been better than the 2014. So overall, i've been quite impressed with it and I imagine Honda is going to keep selling them like hot cakes.

·
Registered
140 Posts
One thing I forgot to mention is the exterior styling, although subjective, is much improved as well. They've tweaked it just perfectly and not to the point where it won't age well.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I dropped my BE yesterday and was given a 2016 EXL (Canadian) HRV :(
I know its an entirely different class vehicle but WOW did it make me appreciate my truck that much more, and I totally agree that the whole right side lane watch camera view on the console concept IS silly :/

... a side note: My truck is back home tonight after an inspection and Procedure A completed on it... Interesting thing is (and this is in reference to Canadian recall) The TSB they showed me was dated CAN Dec 21, 2016, which worried me at first cause the USA Dec 20, 2016 TSB had no procedure A fix unlike the January one's - if memory serves me right... BUT luckily it has all the procedures as written in the USA Jan 10, 2017. So if anyone in Canada sees the Can 12/21/16 TSB it will be fixed according to the latest USA TSB... weird I know... it's like us Canadians are time travelers or the TSB's versions are dated differently here ;)

·
Premium Member
531 Posts

Just curious if you received a letter from Honda for the recall. My dealer doesn't want to do anything with it until I get the letter & all parts are on hand.

·
Registered
219 Posts
... a side note: My truck is back home tonight after an inspection and Procedure A completed on it... Interesting thing is (and this is in reference to Canadian recall) The TSB they showed me was dated CAN Dec 21, 2016, which worried me at first cause the USA Dec 20, 2016 TSB had no procedure A fix unlike the January one's - if memory serves me right... BUT luckily it has all the procedures as written in the USA Jan 10, 2017. So if anyone in Canada sees the Can 12/21/16 TSB it will be fixed according to the latest USA TSB... weird I know... it's like us Canadians are time travelers or the TSB's versions are dated differently here ;)
It is due to the differences between the US and Canadian 'time exchange rates'. :wink:

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ridgeline RTL-E, Northeast U.S.
2,899 Posts
Just curious if you received a letter from Honda for the recall. My dealer doesn't want to do anything with it until I get the letter & all parts are on hand.
I haven't received a recall letter; I'm not sure that anytone has. But Hondalink as an electronic recall that saves on your phone as long as you don't close the app. I'm pretty sure you have to be using the two HondaLink apps on your phone. I tried it on the truck and never received it.

Another thought that springs to mind: get another dealer. My God he's got like seven different versions of the TSB and a long set of instructions with color pictures showing how to fix it. Of course, my primary dealership, which is well known to a lot of people for its parts, hasn't received all the tools from Honda yet that it needs to do procedure A. Everybody has the parts though. And I called another dealer and he has the tools and the parts so I'm switching gears. Maybe your guy doesn't have everything he needs yet.

·
Registered
45 Posts
All of you are lucky, they ordered my part but don't provide rental cars. I'll have to pay for a rental unless Honda reimburse the dealer. I'll call them tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I know its an entirely different class vehicle but WOW did it make me appreciate my truck that much more, and I totally agree that the whole right side lane watch camera view on the console concept IS silly :/

I believed Canadians recall on this issue are labelled as "M94"

see my work invoice here: mine said something like "M94 J-28-16"
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/2363593-post458.html

and attached is recent generic letter I got a few days ago in the mail from Honda Canada (Campaign M94). :wink:

Attachments

·
Registered
970 Posts
Your dealer is a dick. I have not received a letter even now and my dealer first looked at mine in mid-December and did the A procedure last week. They had not known about A being available until I read it here and called them but once they confirmed that (one day) they scheduled me right away, letter or not.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got an email, and a notification on the Honda link, than the dealer actually called and so I set up the appointment.
I got my truck back today, so not so bad time wise, yesterday morning till end of work today.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I got a notification on the HondaLink app on my phone about the recall. Had to wait a few weeks for the parts to be available. Dropped the truck off late yesterday, Tuesday, and got a low end 2016 CRV to drive while they were fixing it. Took them less than a day to fix it and I was so happy to drop off that CRV and get back in my Ridgeline.

·
Super Moderator
5,339 Posts
Just dropped my G2 off for the recall. The first one my dealer, AutonationHonda104, has seen. Hopefully they do not mess things up. They will have to order the parts.

Gave me a loaner car, a 2015 Accord. Other than being filthy inside, it is okay--however, at idle the steering wheel has a shimmy to it. A common occurrence on the 4 cylinder. IMHO, the 2015 Accord looks nice outside, but I would not buy one.

My dealer called and they had to order both the parts and the tool. I was pleased they at least realized they needed a special tool to perform the repair.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just got my truck back tonight from doing the full recall. They had the truck for 3 days. They gave me a 2016 Nissan Frontier 4 door to drive while they had my RL. All I can say is WOW. After getting used to the ride of the RL, the Frontier drove like a dog. I was quite anxious to get back in my truck.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts