Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Recall for air bag?

17K views 59 replies 27 participants last post by  feetdry 
#1 ·
Honda just included '08 Pilots in airbag recall (I have an '08)...Anyone think the Honda airbag recall will extend to '07-'15 RL. Mine's an '07... just waiting for the news!

#2 ·
Have you checked online to see if you're in the recall? I still have not received anything from Honda but a quick VIN check showed that I am part of the recall. Of course, I own an '06 so I knew it would only be a matter of time but I thought that registered owners would receive some sort of official notice.

#3 ·
I called the stealer and they ordered it I have an "06". If you want to wait for the mail it could be sometime yet and then the big rush for replacement. You don't necessarily have to wait. Mines in and getting replaced this week drivers side no passenger yet but think it might happen sometime in the future.

#5 ·
Just went to the dealer and my '08 Pilot is in the recall (the '08 recall was announced March 20th); however, the service manager said I have to wait to get a letter from Honda before I can bring it in due to parts shortage... Anyone know if this is accurate? So far my '07 Ridgeline is not on the list.

#8 ·
I've just gotten back from my local Honda dealer for the recall and happy to say no codes for the radio or programming needed. I had requested they order the necessary parts last Tuesday and they were able to replace the stuff today.

And oh, they washed my truck too, no charge.

#10 ·
Finally got mine done as well. Moving to Florida, so I wanted to get all the needed maintenance done before I leave. It took maybe an hour to an hour and a half, no power reset (yay, I really did NOT want to reprogram the radio or anything), and no major issues.

I never was notified of the recall, though, so if anyone is waiting on one before acting I would just go ahead and get it done.

#11 · (Edited)
Oops, I ignored my 2 calls from my dealer over the past 2 weeks thinking it was a general reminder call for service. I finally called back today and found out they were calling about the airbag recall. Now the part is on national backorder and they have no idea how long it will take to get in. You snooze, you lose.

The service advisor told me the recall only affects the driver's side inflator. I read in another post the passenger side is also affected. For those of you who had the recall done, was it just the driver's side or both sides?

#15 ·
I just got a letter over the weekend. Going to call and schedule it, but with the parts issues & where I live I'm not concerned about humidity related issues

#17 · (Edited)
Have they completely linked the problem to humidity? I've seen a couple of articles that say they still aren't sure what the complete cause is and in one (I can't find it now) they said in another 10 years they might need to do it all over again.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2015/04/26/takata-deadly-mystery-air-bags/26403667/

and my favorite "According to documents reviewed by Reuters, Takata says that rust, bad welds, and even chewing gum dropped into at least one inflator are also at fault."

http://blog.caranddriver.com/massiv...now-including-full-list-of-affected-vehicles/

And now Toyota and Nissan are adding 6.5 million cars to the recall: http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2015/05/13/nissan-toyota-recall/27222545/

#18 ·
I got my letter from Honda Auto Div. last week and I am going over there and discuss the situation. About 3 months ago I kept calling dealer and leaving messages and never getting a response back.
I assumed that they were over run with requests and could not get parts, but now Honda wants me to sign off on a form that the work has been done.

#20 ·
Anyone know who makes the Ridgeline's 2008 (mine) and/or the 2013 (the wife's) airbags.

The thought is, since Takada claims not to be sure of the cause, how can they/we be sure later models than the 2006 aren't also suspect. The evidence of a problem doesn't show until enough accidents trip concern.

#21 ·
They're probably all bad. That regulators from the US had to pressure them to go this far makes me awfully suspicious.

#24 · (Edited)
Plus, the latest reports say Takata does not have a solid cause for the problem. I wonder if we will have to wear face guards until they resolve it. Toyota is advising having the air bag turned off.

We've had airbags since the 80's and now there's a problem?

CR says in perspective the number of fatalities (11) and injuries is still very small.
I suppose it is against GMs close to 100 deaths linked to the ignition switch recall.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...now-about-the-takata-air-bag-recall/index.htm

#25 · (Edited)
I believe Takata may be the only manufacture that uses ammonium nitrate for their inflators. All the other companies use more expensive but likely more stable chemicals.

In USA Todays article "The unsolved mystery of the exploding air bags" they say "It's also unclear whether the replacement air bag systems are safer. That's because they use the same volatile chemical to inflate the bags, ammonium nitrate, that some suspect is at the heart of the problem. Other air bag manufacturers use less-volatile chemicals, but they cost more."
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2015/04/26/takata-deadly-mystery-air-bags/26403667/

I'd read an article several months back saying there was a chance they'd have to do it all over again in another 10 years if it isn't a problem with the manufacture but is actually a problem with the propellant becoming unstable for other reasons.

Just found this one saying that Takata changed the inflators back in 2008 to help avoid future problems with moisture.
http://www.autonews.com/article/201...ged-design-of-its-airbags-in-2008-report-says

#26 ·
Which brings me to a question, I've had all along on Air-Bag Systems.

None of it needs to be tested/re-certified/replaced at any point after manufacture or installation?

REALLY!!!

Fire Extinguishers have to be re-certified annually, and I seriously doubt one will "Explode" and send shrapnel at the user.

I only point this out because if you have never had one go off you need to see it first hand, especially when your sitting in front of it. It will give you pause, it's a controlled bomb between your hands on the steering wheel.

#27 ·
The re-certification may be a good idea. I don't know what they would do outside of making sure the assembly is not damaged and that there is a charge to set the bag off when needed.

I don't think it would do anything to resolve the shrapnel issue as that seems to be related to a materials being used in manufacturing.

#29 ·
Going on 3 months that I called my Honda dealer to schedule airbag replacement on my '08 Pilot. I got the letter in the mail from Honda. Dealer says I'm in their computer list and they are waiting for the part(s) to arrive.

Guess I just need to not get into an accident til then. A full size Chevy truck hit the rear of our '13 Crosstour in a parking lot. Good thing it was going slow. Hit the rear of our CT as wife was backing out, her fault grrrr. :act051:

Put a huge dent in trucks chrome bumper front. And bent it under the front end. Just tiny paint dings and some scraped rubber on the very rear corner and bumper. No indentations at all on the CT. Can only see the small scrape when your up close. Whew. Pretty impressed with our CT's sturdiness.

Attachments

#30 ·
Going on 3 months that I called my Honda dealer to schedule airbag replacement on my '08 Pilot. I got the letter in the mail from Honda. Dealer says I'm in their computer list and they are waiting for the part(s) to arrive.
If you want to get bumped up the list then having them pay for a loaner car helps. It won't guarantee a quick replacement but typically they will want to get you out of the rental/loaner car as fast as possible. I also don't know if they require that you leave your car at the dealer when you take the loaner, which might be a big downside. But if anyone truly isn't comfortable driving their car as it is then it is a good option.

http://www.honda.com/newsandviews/article.aspx?id=8340-en
" If a customer affected by the Takata airbag inflator recalls requests alternative transportation until their vehicle can be repaired, including use of a loaner vehicle or rental vehicle, Honda will accommodate their needs at no charge."

It isn't much fun for the dealers since on the other end of things we have the customers like the one that told us "I don't have time to mess with this. Just take me off the list" when we called to tell them their airbag was here and ready to install.

#31 ·
Right H&A. I read that in the Honda letter I received but just didn't think it would be this long. And to be honest, I didn't think my, or any, Honda dealers would actually let me go with that option of a temp loaner. I do need my SUV for hauling musical gear most every weekend. So if they offered me even a 4dr sedan, prolly wouldn't work out.

But if I have a choice of at least a CR-V, might work. Or would it just be a random rental car? The CR-V is sort of the next car I'm considering when replacing my Pilot in fall 2016. So be nice to teset one out for awhile.

But I like the spaciousness of my '08 Pilot. I'm now considering getting a 2015 Pilot, if I can still find one by then. If not, may be going with a '16-'17 Toyota 4Runner or Highlander at that time. But thanks for that suggestion, I may try that here in August when all my gigs slow down.
I am more concerned if my wife has to drive the Pilot., when I want to use the Crosstour for heading to Austin as I sometimes do. I'm retired so mostly just drive the Pilot on weekends and short trips to my gym 2-3 days a week. But that airbag is always in back of my mind when I mount up in my Pilot. peace, ernie

#34 ·
.... I do need my SUV for hauling musical gear most every weekend. So if they offered me even a 4dr sedan, prolly wouldn't work out.

But if I have a choice of at least a CR-V, might work. Or would it just be a random rental car? The CR-V is sort of the next car I'm considering when replacing my Pilot in fall 2016. So be nice to teset one out for awhile. ...
It is likely just random depending on what they or the local rental car place they use has available. Some dealers have their own 'fleet' of rental cars and others use places like Budget or Enterprise. It might be worth checking with them to see if they have something like a CR-V available though.

The cars that have rental cars out would, most places, get the first available airbags for replacement.

#32 ·
Thanks H&A, my wife and 2 kids are in our '08 Pilot every day. I have called my dealer and a 2nd and they both say "wait for your letter to come in the mail." Maybe calling Honda CS will expedite the process (wishful thinking I know). Interestingly, I have gotten letters from both dealers and Honda about trading in my Pilot for a new one... Maybe that's the only way it will get replaced. They'll probably low-ball me on the TI value because it's "unsafe."

#33 ·
"Maybe that's the only way it will get replaced. They'll probably low-ball me on the TI value because it's "unsafe." "

/\ This is what I was thinking as well, K....9999. Plus, I wasn't quite ready to buy a new vehicle this year. Was considering buying a used vehicle for the first time in many years. But with the last few floods in our area, scary to think what "new looking" newer model autos out there may have been submarines recently. So we wait. :act018:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.