Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Moderator's note: Click here for the recall notice on NHTSA's website.

I got an email from Carfax citing "a new recall record" but it didn't show-up for me at the NHTSA site

Does anyone here know if this is real, and what it might be about???

Copied/pasted from the carfax website:

Font Screenshot Number Rectangle Document

·
Registered
3 Posts
I received the same e-mail from Carfax. I could not find it on the NTHSA website. Sounds serious if real. I also just saw that "free recall repairs" are not required on vehicles over 15 years old. My 2006 Ridgeline RTL with a bit over 100K miles is over 16 years old.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I also got the same email. I assume since it says "Pending" for NTHSA number, that it will show up soon. I traded in my 2007 with 165k miles about 7 weeks ago, it needed full exhaust, oil pump seal, timing belt due to oil seal, and valve cover gaskets. The interior was looking tired. Tough decision to let it go since I was an original owner and loved it, but I might regret it less with this recall. I had heard a little about rust, but didn't look into it until today. Mine had perfect body, some rust around tailgate frame, but I didn't look underneath. I certainly hope Honda is able to do something to repair it for you guys.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Ridgeline
1 Posts
I got an email from Carfax citing "a new recall record" but it didn't show-up for me at the NHTSA site

Does anyone here know if this is real, and what it might be about???

Copied/pasted from the carfax website:

View attachment 427173
I received the e-mail, too, but the recall number seems a bit odd. UCC almost always strictly refers to the Uniform Commercial Code. I don't know why a recall notice would reference the UCC.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I received the e-mail, too, but the recall number seems a bit odd. UCC almost always strictly refers to the Uniform Commercial Code. I don't know why a recall notice would reference the UCC.
I found this, I guess maybe there is some system for recalls there too?

The Uniform Commercial Code (“UCC”) provides a safety net by way of implied warranties to protect consumers. The two types of implied warranties under the UCC are 1) merchantability – the goods as sold are of industry standard quality, MCL 440.2314; and 2) fitness – the goods are fit for the intended purpose of the purchaser. MCL 400.2315. However, implied warranties may and should be disclaimed by manufacturers to eliminate potential avenues of liability for breach of warranty claims.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I got the Carfax email too. Last time my 2008 was up on a lift I thought it looked like there was a lot of rust areas around the rear frame especially at suspension mounting points.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got the Carfax email too. Last time my 2008 was up on a lift I thought it looked like there was a lot of rust areas around the rear frame especially at suspension mounting points.
This seems the most likely suspect for the moment doesn't it. Our 2006, actually from March of 2005, has spent most of its life in TX thus no salt and not much-if-any rust.

Yeah if the recall is real we'll all eventually get a letter I expect, unless as in my case we've re-located and Honda doesn't have our new address.

·
Registered
11 Posts
07 RTL 165k, GEICO notified me via their carfax integration. Called the usual dealer in my area and they had no idea what to do and said they would have to call me back. Currently living in southern CA but I’ve lived up and down the east coast as well as the Midwest. Could be a candidate for the recall if the dealer can figure out where to start. Maybe I’ll get a nice trade in offer instead.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I purchased my 2008 RTL one year ago and it needs a decent amount of work. Nothing crazy but it's going to add up. Now I'm wondering if I should just trade it in. Could anyone provide any context for what the possibilities are for how Honda might handle this? We talking a coupon for an oil change or something more significant? Love the truck, but don't want to sink more into something that might be doomed. Thanks!

·
Registered
2014 Sport
4,190 Posts
I purchased my 2008 RTL one year ago and it needs a decent amount of work. Nothing crazy but it's going to add up. Now I'm wondering if I should just trade it in. Could anyone provide any context for what the possibilities are for how Honda might handle this? We talking a coupon for an oil change or something more significant? Love the truck, but don't want to sink more into something that might be doomed. Thanks!
We have no idea what the recall is for yet. Regardless, it is a recall which would indicate that Honda will make repairs. Why on earth would you think that you truck is doomed because of a recall?

This seems the most likely suspect for the moment doesn't it. Our 2006, actually from March of 2005, has spent most of its life in TX thus no salt and not much-if-any rust.

Yeah if the recall is real we'll all eventually get a letter I expect, unless as in my case we've re-located and Honda doesn't have our new address.
Rear frame is probably not correct. REAR SUBFRAME seems more likely to me as that is where I have seen some examples with rust. Subframe is a bolt on part.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We have no idea what the recall is for yet. Regardless, it is a recall which would indicate that Honda will make repairs. Why on earth would you think that you truck is doomed because of a recall?
I didn't mean the truck is doomed just the scenario. Putting a couple grand into a truck with a rust issue significant enough to justify a recall seems like a bad move. Avoiding a sunk cost situation since at this point I could likely get what I paid for it back. Sorry I wasn't clear, but part of my line of questioning was really more to the point of, how bad is this?

·
Registered
2020 Ridgeline RTL-E Pacific Pewter
573 Posts
SB 22-016
In salt-belt states where de-icing agents are used to maintain the roadway, the de-icing agents, along with mud and dirt, could accumulate along the rear frame, where the fuel tank is mounted. Over time, the accumulated de-icing agents/mud/dirt mixture could cause the fuel tank band mounts to corrode and separate from the frame. If this occurs, an unsecured fuel tank can become damaged from undercarriage impact, which can possibly result in fuel leakage.

·
Super Moderator
2,695 Posts
We've seen pictures of the rear sub frame areas rotted out on here. We've never heard of a gas tank falling out of the vehicle though!

·
Registered
2014 Sport
4,190 Posts
I didn't mean the truck is doomed just the scenario. Putting a couple grand into a truck with a rust issue significant enough to justify a recall seems like a bad move. Avoiding a sunk cost situation since at this point I could likely get what I paid for it back. Sorry I wasn't clear, but part of my line of questioning was really more to the point of, how bad is this?
If you are worried about rust, put your truck up on a lift or crawl under it and take a look for yourself. Alternatively, have an expert give you a rust opinion. We don't know what the recall is for.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts