Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
For the level of rust on my vehicle, I don't have a dog in this fight. I am curious, however, what a STOP SALE note does to those who are looking to sell or buy a vehicle. Any expertise out there on this?

·
Registered
4 Posts
For the level of rust on my vehicle, I don't have a dog in this fight. I am curious, however, what a STOP SALE note does to those who are looking to sell or buy a vehicle. Any expertise out there on this?
Exactly. Doesn't seem like the kind of thing you just dismiss because you did an eyeball check. Even if it isn't an issue for you at the moment, it's for sure going to affect resale value.

A stop sale order applies only to Honda dealers selling used 2006-2014 Ridgelines - it does not apply to non-Honda dealers and individuals who are free to sell vehicles with open recalls.
Honda saying it's too much of a liability to continue selling these vehicles is still significant. Someone will always be willing to sell anything, but Honda distancing themselves from it seems like a pretty big red flag.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Can someone here who may be familiar with the gas tank support mechanisms comment on how easy-or-difficult it might be to inspect them? Are they hidden above the gas tank thus impossible to see from below? Or maybe with mirrors? That would be a turd in the punchbowl if the tank had to be taken-out just to know if danger lurks.

Our Ridge is circa March of 2005 but spent its first twelve years in Texas, and then here Up North we haven't used it much in the winter time but when we have, if roads were slushy, always washed the undercarriage at the car wash across the street before putting in our dry, heated garage. So I'm not particularly worried for ours but wonder about inspection...

·
Administrator
22,744 Posts
I also just saw that "free recall repairs" are not required on vehicles over 15 years old. My 2006 Ridgeline RTL with a bit over 100K miles is over 16 years old.
Automakers are neither required nor prohibited from performing recall work at no charge to the owner for vehicles older than 15 years.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I received the same e-mail from Carfax. I could not find it on the NTHSA website. Sounds serious if real. I also just saw that "free recall repairs" are not required on vehicles over 15 years old. My 2006 Ridgeline RTL with a bit over 100K miles is over 16 years old.
Recalls - 10 Found
STRUCTURE:FRAME AND MEMBERS
June 15th, 2022
A fuel leak in the presence of an ignition source can increase the risk of a fire.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 22V430000
Components: STRUCTURE:FRAME AND MEMBERS
Summary
Honda (American Honda Motor Co.) is recalling certain 2006-2014 Ridgeline vehicles that were sold, or ever registered in Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C., and Wisconsin. An accumulation of road salt may cause the frame mounting surface, where the fuel tank mounting bands are attached, to corrode and possibly detach the fuel tank, which can result in a fuel leak.
Remedy
Dealers will inspect and repair the rear frame, as necessary, free of charge. Depending on the extent of any corrosion damage, Honda may offer to repurchase the vehicle. Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed August 1, 2022. Owners may contact Honda customer service at 1-888-234-2138.
Notes
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.nhtsa.gov.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
24,057 Posts
I just noticed this recall today (from Carfax too). Here's what owners.honda.com says:

Font Rectangle Screenshot Number Software

Font Rectangle Screenshot Number Software

·
Registered
43 Posts
I didn’t get anything
Nor did I receive a notice from Carfax.

I chased down the NHTSA recall notice (#22V430000), and saw that it affects RLs that were ever registered in more-northern states that use road salt during the winter (a specific list of states is provided).

The specific point of concern is the frame mounting surface for the fuel tank, where the fuel tank mounting bands are attached. If corrosion is present and significant, the fuel tank may detach, causing a fuel leak (and possibly a fire).

The remedy could be anything from a frame repair to a repurchase of the vehicle.

I'm in NC, and my truck has always been registered here (per the Carfax report I received when I purchased it). NC isn't on the NHTSA recall notice list, so that's probably why Carfax didn't send me a notice. This may also apply to your vehicle, but you should check your Carfax (or other registration history source for the VIN) to be sure.

That said, I've got a maintenance visit scheduled for next week already, so I'm going to ask my mechanic to take a look at the affected area, just in case.

FYI, the NHTSA notice says that owner notification letters will be mailed out on Aug 1.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I took a look at where the gas tank hanger straps attach to the frame. There is rust on the bolt heads front and rear. But what I can't tell is if the threads of the bolt or it's attachment point are rusted or not.
One question that I have is: does the bolt thread into the frame member directly? Or is there a nut on the other side of the frame member? If it threads in directly then I don't know how to tell if that joint is in good or bad shape. If there is a nut on the other side then it should be good, but I can't see that to confirm. The one thing that does concern me is that there seems to be only one strap that holds up the entire gas tank. Sure it may be strong enough for quite a while, but a single failure on one end and there's trouble IMHO.
Any thoughts?

I should add that the bolts and strap are easily seen. Look up from below the left passenger door, about 2ft in from the vehicle side. The strap attachment points are outside of the gas tank footprint. Hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
8,115 Posts
I am a bit surprised Colorado is not included in that list of states. They recently switched away from mag chloride.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I am the original owner of an 06 Ridge. I have rust and have been notified of the recall via my VIN. I live in Indiana and do have rust. The Honda Service Bulletin 22-016 does include my Ridge. My local Honda dealer will not inspect my Ridge until a) they have more service repair information on how to actually repair the problem and b) they have the parts to fix. Regarding the age of my Ridge, I did call Honda corporate and asked about the age of my Ridge and doing the pending repair. I was told that since my VIN is in the affected range and geographical location, the repair is warranted. The Honda corporate person I spoke to gave me a case number and told me if I have push back from the local dealer to repair, to call back. "I think", I read somewhere this week, that if the rust problem is so serious and the problem cannot be fixed, Honda would buy back the Ridge. Can anyone confirm this?

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
25 Posts
I did read a couple of people wonder if the resale value of our Ridgelines would go down because of this. And I wondered that too. But now that I think about it more, I don't think they will. The reason I say this is that vehicle safety recalls happen all the time out in the real world. Throughout history there have been a few vehicles that have a bad history for safety, the older Wrangles come to mind. But in the general sense, as long as the manufacturer has repaired the vehicle, and the owner can show that this work was done, the buyers put it in the bucket of "ok, that recall is done" and the resale price in mostly or entirely unaffected. The Takata airbag recall is a good example of this. To my knowledge affected cars that have been repaired have not suffered a resale price drop.
Anyone agree or otherwise?

·
Administrator
22,744 Posts
"I think", I read somewhere this week, that if the rust problem is so serious and the problem cannot be fixed, Honda would buy back the Ridge. Can anyone confirm this?
Yes - there are multiple mentions and links to this in this thread.

A repurchase would be higher than scrap value, but exactly how much depends on the "reasonable allowance for use" deduction. You certainly won't get back your original purchase price and I'd guess the deduction for a 16 year-old vehicle is relatively large. :)

·
Registered
671 Posts
Yes - there are multiple mentions and links to this in this thread.
Thank you for the follow-up. Glad I wasn't dreaming. Be interesting how Honda would set a buy back price if it came to that. I remember when VW was buying back all the cars with TDI motors due to the diesel emissions scandal. Owners where paid a fixed priced price for their cars across the board no matter condition, but the Federal Trade Commission played a role for particular situation because of fraud by the manufacturer. No fraud in this situation. Will be interesting to see how this "rust" situation plays out and how soon service bulletin is updated for detailed fix. And, of course, part(s) lead time.

·
Registered
346 Posts
In Illinois, they salt the roads for a dusting of snow and I've seen them put down salt for a prediction of snow.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts