Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
41 - 60 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Made an online appointment at my central PA dealer yesterday evening, but was contacted by the dealer this morning suggesting that they didn’t have specific repair information or parts to perform any recall work. I asked if I could at least bring it in anyway for them to look at while I had other work being done. They said to hang tight to see if I get a recall letter from Honda specific to my VIN about eligibility. They apologized, but weren’t really informed enough at the moment to know how to determine if it required repair or not.

·
Registered
25 Posts
So just wondering, the RL is the only vehicle that I own now. And I use it for every day and recreational use. I'm not keen on putting my family in it on the road until I know it's safe from this known risk. It seems perfectly reasonable to me that a stated risk of a gas leak and fire that causes Honda to tell dealers to stop selling them is cause for me to question it's safety.

If I take it to Honda, say tomorrow, will they be able to tell me if it's safe or not? And if not, am I supposed to be driving a vehicle for which the manufacturer cannot tell me that it's safe in light of a known concern? I'm thinking that Honda owes me either: a) a statement that it is safe, or; b) a loaner vehicle until they can tell me it's safe/repair it/ repurchase it...what ever the outcome is.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Anyone know what Honda Canada is doing/saying? I cannot seem to find any info.

·
Registered
489 Posts
So just wondering, the RL is the only vehicle that I own now. And I use it for every day and recreational use. I'm not keen on putting my family in it on the road until I know it's safe from this known risk. It seems perfectly reasonable to me that a stated risk of a gas leak and fire that causes Honda to tell dealers to stop selling them is cause for me to question it's safety.

If I take it to Honda, say tomorrow, will they be able to tell me if it's safe or not? And if not, am I supposed to be driving a vehicle for which the manufacturer cannot tell me that it's safe in light of a known concern? I'm thinking that Honda owes me either: a) a statement that it is safe, or; b) a loaner vehicle until they can tell me it's safe/repair it/ repurchase it...what ever the outcome is.

Thoughts?
Have you looked at yours? Did you read the documents? I think with 5 total concerns raised (including asking in a market survey in 2019), and no actual instances of the tank dropping and leaking, an owner look-see isn't unreasonable to increase your comfort level. Everyone has their own sense of risk and ability to assess their vehicle. I'm good with mine, but I'm not you. Can't hurt to ask Honda. or a local garage for a few $$ to ease your mind in the mean-time, but the timeline doesn't look too long to get the word to dealers about how to deal with this.
Azure Rectangle Font Screenshot Circle

Font Screenshot Parallel Rectangle Number

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Great to see the NHTSA document/report, and it's interesting to me to see that "The recall is specific to vehicles sold or ever registered in the salt-belt region..."

Ours lived most of its life in south central TX but has been registered Up North for 5 years now, so it seems will will qualify for the inspection.

·
Registered
25 Posts
This is a good and valid point Vlad :) The part that haunts me is what if, just on that stupid off chance, that something bad did happen and a fire killed my family...and the just as bad part....that I knew of this possibility. I know very well that EVERY time we get behind the wheel in an automobile we are taking a risk, and presumably we have made the risk/benefit analysis. So yes, by the numbers you are totally correct.

I just called my local Honda dealer (in Idaho) where they had to look up the VIN to find this recall. OK, the recall is new and I'm currently not in a rust belt state, I get that. They are nice enough to take a look at it and give me a go / no go opinion on it's safety for this particular problem. Nice. I'll write this outcome Monday when it's done.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,842 Posts
There seems to be a remedy according to Car & Driver >> 2006–2014 Honda Ridgelines Recalled for Fuel Tank Detachment Risk

The dealer-provided remedy includes attaching a reinforcement brace and applying anti-corrosive wax. If the vehicle is damaged beyond repair, the dealer may offer to repurchase the vehicle. In addition, owners who paid to have these repairs done at an earlier date will be eligible for reimbursement.

·
Registered
690 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Hi Paul, Can you share the URL where you got this original information?
Thank you,
See Post #29. Click the link and look at PDF that downloads. I'm just on zrodger73's coattails. Credit where credit's due!

Reactions: NedSeg

·
Registered
690 Posts
See Post #29. Click the link and look at PDF that downloads. I'm just on zrodger73's coattails. Credit where credit's due!
Perfect! Thank you young man. I get it, no doubt. We are on the same team.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
4,193 Posts
See discussion here . . .

·
Registered
25 Posts
My local Honda dealer in Idaho took a quick look at the bolts that hold the straps to the frame. They look good visually and so does the frame where they attach. This is on a 2013 that was in WI, IL and KY for 7 years total. He said he could not give me anything in writing because he doesn't know anything official about what to look for from Honda. But he would have no hesitation driving it.

We have been planning to sell or trade the RL in during the month of July for some time now. Does anyone know how say Carmax handles potentially buying a vehicle that has an open safety recall on it? Do they even care? Do they execute the recall if it's sitting on their lot during the recall period? Or just let the next owner deal with that? Just wondering if trying to sell before the recall is actually repaired is going to impair my ability to sell or trade it in. Thanks for any inputs.

·
Administrator
23,161 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Good find zroger73. I wonder if such an open safety recall would impact the price that Carmax would pay me. Kind of thinking no since they are a "pass through" on the recall thing. Hoping no at least..

·
Registered
299 Posts
I took a look under my 2010 Ridgeline. Here are few pictures of the gas tank bolts attached to the frame:( Assuming this is what they are referring to with the recall)

The 1st photo is the left side bolt in the back. The 2nd is the right side in the back. The 3rd photo is the front bolt( Which was the worst looking , but not in danger of failing) I live in Maryland and vehicle has 219,000 miles.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Ontario dealer contacted me by email today to set up an (up to) three hour inspection. I'm assuming that amount of time is required to install the additional bracing if it passes inspection. I was about to commit to replacing the rockers but I'll hold off a bit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I brought my Ridgeline in for the recall on the rear subframe. They have now had my truck for over 4 days and they don’t know when they will have it fixed or if it’s even fixable and if it’s not then have to wait and see what honda wants to do with the buyback. Honda won’t help my with a loaner because they said they don’t do that but plus because my car is from Canada that no dealer in the USA will give me a loaner because I didn’t buy the truck in Canada and the only way to transfer any type of warranty from Canada is to be a citizen and move to America and then ask honda permission to take it to America and make sure it passes American standards so because I didn’t do that nor was I the original owner that everything is now void for me and all that they can do is fix my truck what they don’t know when it could happen and the dealer is telling me to expect to wait months for this to be solved. So what am I suppose to do, but another truck? I wasn’t prepared for this now so I have the money for a new car or even a rental. I’m a single father of 4 boys and I’m gonna loose my job because honda dosnet know when or if they can even fix my truck so I’m gonna loose everything while I wait for Honda and I tryed customer service and everything else. This comapny is wrong for what there doing

41 - 60 of 144 Posts