Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Harness plug on one end and bare wire on the other. Also included a 20 amp fuse.

How about the Owners Manual that I ordered 5 weeks ago Honda?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Yes, that harness is included in the glove box when you buy a new RL today.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ridgeline RTL-E, Northeast U.S.
2,899 Posts
Harness plug on one end and bare wire on the other. Also included a 20 amp fuse.

How about the eOwners Manual that I ordered 5 weeks ago Honda?
It took six months to get the free printed owners manual. They sent me the wrong one in July. Eventually I called up Helm, the printer, for the third time and they told me it was Honda's fault. But she promised that she would email Honda and ask nicely whether they might authorize sending me the correct hard copy. Three weeks later it showed up. Never mind that the manual has been revised so many times online that this one is almost useless now. I still like having something I can turn the pages of.

So you got Honda to send you the trailer brake harness? Bully for you. I don't think any of us got the trailer brake harness. I certainly didn't.

·
Registered
461 Posts
It took six months to get the free printed owners manual. They sent me the wrong one in July. Eventually I called up Helm, the printer, for the third time and they told me it was Honda's fault. But she promised that she would email Honda and ask nicely whether they might authorize sending me the correct hard copy. Three weeks later it showed up. Never mind that the manual has been revised so many times online that this one is almost useless now. I still like having something I can turn the pages of.

So you got Honda to send you the trailer brake harness? Bully for you. I don't think any of us got the trailer brake harness. I certainly didn't.
Mine was in my glove box.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Mine was in the glove box when I picked up the vehicle, I did know to look for it there. I think it only comes with the T, E, and BE model (US), models without the trailer brake wiring I don't think it will be there, maybe it comes with the wiring harness accessory kit. If you didn't get one in your RL then probably the dealer Make Ready Dept. could have taken it out, not knowing what it was for.

trainman

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Mine was in the glove box when I picked up the vehicle, I did know to look for it there. I think it only comes with the T, E, and BE model (US), models without the trailer brake wiring I don't think it will be there, maybe it comes with the wiring harness accessory kit. If you didn't get one in your RL then probably the dealer Make Ready Dept. could have taken it out, not knowing what it was for.

trainman
I thought all trim levels had trailer brake wiring?

I got my RTL Dec 29th 2016 and it had the harness in the glove box.

·
Super Moderator
1,563 Posts
Nope, none in my glove box.

It should come with all models with AWD at least cause they all have the hitch and harness for wiring.

Steve

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Mine is an awd version. So the 2wd do not come with hitch set ups? They don't sell or stock them here in the pnw, so all the ones I've seen had the harness in the glove box.

·
Super Moderator
5,340 Posts
Nothing in the glove box on mine either. Purchased my T in May.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Yes, that harness is included in the glove box when you buy a new RL today.
What the heck is it for? I found it in the glove box and was confused. I don't have a trailer but I assume if I bought one it would have that circle thing like the hitch has so what are the extra wires for?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
The wiring harness is for a break controller if you get a trailer which needs breaks (7-pin connector).... never wired one myself... as we just have a dinky trailer with lights (4 pin connector). We need a 7 to 4 pin adapter to use our trailer on the RL, which we haven't tested yet but was assuming would be plug and play as we have an AWD version.

Edit: Just looked up the RL on the comparison tool page of the Honda website and it looks like the 2WD versions are just pre wired for the 7 pin connector, while the AWD versions already have the 7 pin installed.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Edit: Just looked up the RL on the comparison tool page of the Honda website and it looks like the 2WD versions are just pre wired for the 7 pin connector, while the AWD versions already have the 7 pin installed.
See this is what confused me, I had never seen the round 7 pin so I googled it and it said it controls brakes. Then I saw this, and had seen the wires in the glove box. So do they just stuff them in all the glove boxes even if you have the 7 pin standard?

I don't know why I am so obsessed with this, I am never going to tow anything anyway.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
See this is what confused me, I had never seen the round 7 pin so I googled it and it said it controls brakes. Then I saw this, and had seen the wires in the glove box. So do they just stuff them in all the glove boxes even if you have the 7 pin standard?

I don't know why I am so obsessed with this, I am never going to tow anything anyway.
Doesn't hurt to be curious!

Now here's some possibly blind leading the blind, but as far as I understand, that harness is like for when you get a wiring harness for a new stereo head unit. You can pick out the head unit or in this case the break controller unit you want to use (which is not included). You use that harness to attach your chosen brake controller to the truck in the cabin area. The 7 pin in the back, is what will interface with the trailer, and is pre-wired and attached so if you plug in your break controller in the front, you are ready to go. The 7 pin in the back and the break controller in the front are connected by those wires in the middle which are "pre-wired" in all the RLs. It's just in the AWD versions, that 7-pin in the back is installed for you so you don't have to go out and buy the connector and sneak wires from the cabin to the back aftermarket.

Of course, we can also wait for someone with real experience towing heavy items to chime in too!

Makes me curious then... do the 2WD versions have hitches? If they have a hitch, do they even have a 4pin trailer connector, or is that something the buyer would have to put in?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Ditto... got mine in the mail today for my RTL-E... bought in July.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Doesn't hurt to be curious!

Now here's some possibly blind leading the blind, but as far as I understand, that harness is like for when you get a wiring harness for a new stereo head unit. You can pick out the head unit or in this case the break controller unit you want to use (which is not included). You use that harness to attach your chosen brake controller to the truck in the cabin area. The 7 pin in the back, is what will interface with the trailer, and is pre-wired and attached so if you plug in your break controller in the front, you are ready to go. The 7 pin in the back and the break controller in the front are connected by those wires in the middle which are "pre-wired" in all the RLs. It's just in the AWD versions, that 7-pin in the back is installed for you so you don't have to go out and buy the connector and sneak wires from the cabin to the back aftermarket.

Of course, we can also wait for someone with real experience towing heavy items to chime in too!

Makes me curious then... do the 2WD versions have hitches? If they have a hitch, do they even have a 4pin trailer connector, or is that something the buyer would have to put in?
I think there was another thread on towing that addressed what came with the 2WD. I believe they said it came with the hitch but no wiring harness which seems stupid to me. Then again I added hitches to both of my CRVs but not wiring harness because I used to hold my bike rack.

My husband knows all these answers but I don't like asking him. I am known for my lack of impulse control, like I buy some odd stuff on a whim. If I ask too much about the hitch he starts thinking I am going to buy a trailer for no dang reason. How silly, you can rent them.

Now I wish someone could tell me what those two black plugs are for that were also in the glove box. The only thing I see on the truck that matches them are the two plugs on the top of the bed by the tailgate. Do these fall out a lot?

·
Super Moderator
2,899 Posts
RTL-E, AWD, manufactured in May, took delivery June 20, nothing in the mailbox. :|

But it's no biggie. I probably won't need it any time soon.

Maybe the $140 raise in price is to cover the cost of sending out these trailer brake harnesses.

:wink:

·
Super Moderator
2,899 Posts
OK. Life can be funny. I thought my wife got the mail already. Nope. I just went out to get it and guess what: trailer brake harness. The envelope says "product advisory enclosed please open immediately." I thought at first that it was the recall.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts