Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2006 Ridgeline with 110,000 mi. on it. Wasn't even thinking of a Honda in regards to a Pickup. I didn't even know they made one!! Just a couple of questions for Honda. Is there any version of your 3.5 V6 that has hydraulic lifters? The reason I ask is I bought this after looking at the carfax on it. It showed that the vehicle had all the suggested maintenance done on it at a Honda dealership. When I got home and researched the Ridgeline further, I found that it needed the timing belt,water pump, spark plugs, etc. replaced. A big ticket job if you don't do it yourself. I also found on this excellent website that the radiator transmission cooling connections were prone to failure. I checked the radiator, and sure enough, the connections were badly corroded. So I had the radiator replaced. I spent about $1500 to have all this done. If I had known this beforehand, I would have tried harder to negotiate a better price on the vehicle. The Ridge's engine is smooth, and quiet. But I find out now that the engine has mechanical lifters that will someday need to be adjusted, another unexpected expense. Most modern V6 and V8 engines have hydraulic lifters. Sure, it cost less to manufacture engines that have mechanical lifters, but it adds to the cost of properly maintaining the vehicle. Don't get me wrong. The Ridgeline is a very well designed vehicle. But for the next generation of the Ridgeline, I suggest that Honda change whoever supplies its radiators, and get a version of the 3.5 V6 that has hydraulic lifters. (A timing CHAIN instead of a belt would be nice,too.) Also, Honda, advertise the RidgeLine more effectively. It seems that most people except current owners don't know that you even make a light-medium duty pickup. I would think that about 30% of people in the market for a pickup truck would buy a Ridgeline if they drove one and saw its features. But you have to advertise!!! Heck, I knew that Honda made a robot, but not a truck! :act060:

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I as well bought the exact same truck and went through the exact same situation...06 ridge with about 110k on it and assuming it got traded in when the timing belt light came on. I fortunately can do all that myself. and being in southern cali...not prone to radiator issues so far. I adjusted my valves at about 150k...so def not something you have to do very often. And every 100k...spending only about $1000...its not that bad. And maybe $200 ish dollars in between that for fluid changes...meh..

I think my motorcycle who gets $40 oil changes every 1k and $400 ish dollars in tires every 5k is wayyyyyy higher maintenance then my ridge.

In my opinion and theory is mechanical is longer lasting.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,377 Posts
Honda only recently changed the 4 Cyl to a timing chain, and from what I've read on here it will be years if ever before the v6 is changed to a timing chain. As for lifters, the J35 series engines are prone to have the exhaust lifters get tight and it's typically around 150k. Unless your specifically having issues I'd guess your probably fine, and I'm not sure who did the other work for you but a Honda dealer would only inspect (listen) for lifter noise near the 100k service. There was an owner who went well over 400k and the only thing major other than MM service is an alternator went out, which was why he finally got rid of it...

He's still on here some I'll ask him if he even ever adjusted the lifters, from what I remember that he's posted, I don't think so, or maybe only once.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to you both for the information. I agree that only having to spend about $1000 or so for 100k mi. of worry free driving isn't a bad deal, and when I've bought other used vehicles, I put about that amount into them. Honda has a well-deserved reputation for dependability. Even though the Ridgeline hasn't been updated since it came out, its features stand the test of time. For a company that never made any kind of a truck before, Honda designed a near-perfect light duty truck that should appeal to a fair segment of the market. Hopefully they have greater success with the 2nd Gen. Ridgleine.:act030:

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,865 Posts
OTOH, there are J35 motors that needed the valves adjusted well before 100k miles too.

There's a thread on Piloteers about this. But I can't find the link right now. From posts I've read, the valve lash runs all over the place... some engines are very close to spec while other engines are way out, and at vastly different miles per engine. The only way to know for sure is to do the valve adjustment (on a cold engine... under 100*F).

Of course over at Piloteers you are also dealing with VCM and non-VCM motors. So that may also be a factor in the equation.

·
Premium Member
2,183 Posts
Gongrats on your RL and welcome to the ROC!

It's almost as if Honda didn't want to sell any Ridgelines, they rarely advertised them and most dealers parked them on the back of the lot and the salespeople are clueless about them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts