Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son drives a 2010 Nissan Versa. It's black with black interior, and the AC has trouble keeping up with Houston heat. We are trying to find a phone mount, so he can use his phone as a GPS.

Does anyone have any experience with a suction cup type in a hot climate? A lot of the Amazon reviews I looked at sound like the suction cups don't last in a hot car. What about ProClip USA? Or Arkon seat/floor mounts?

Your advice is appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
5,454 Posts
I have used a suction cup type mount in a Sonata and it left a circular mark on the dash when I removed it. I eventually removed the mark, but it took some work.

The ProClip mounts are nicely designed and would probably be the best option, but I am not sure what mount location options they have with the ProClip. These mounts are a little more expensive than most other options since you have to buy the device holder and the mounting base.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, Sparkland. The ProClips do look nice, but the two options for his vehicle aren't ideal. One looks like it would cover one of the key AC vents for the driver (and if I'm going to block an AC vent, I might as well get an AC vent mount for way less money). The second is way down by the AC controls.

I also found an interesting one from Scosche which attaches to the rear view mirror.

·
Premium Member
2011 VP Bali Blue Pearl
241 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,358 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,165 Posts
I'll +1 on the Magnetic Vent Mount, easy to not mount phone when I want AC, but when navigating, I'm typically also charging, because I'm using Waze, and streaming music so battery is typically getting tagged pretty hard and it keeps phone cool because in the desert rarely do I get in a vehicle that's less than 100°, sometimes upwards of 140° -160°.

@speedlever are those one's ( Maxboost Car Mount, [2 Pack] ) you have experience with? Are they fairly "robust" as I had no issues with my iPhone5, but ever since I got an iPhone7 I'm having difficulty with the extra weight, or maybe mine are just tired.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I recommend the Pro-Clip, they are really good! if its in front of the air vent, like my ridgeline mount, you want even notice that, plus the air keeps the phone cool. The stuff is not cheap, but great quality and made in the USA just like our trucks! I bet you can find a You Tube video showing how it installs and looks in your son's car.
i was able to buy one to hold our iPhone 8 plus, and did a bit of checking so it will expand enough for an iPhone Max. It doesn't sag, stays at the angle you put it and allows rotation from horizontal to vertical, so you may be able to move it out of the way if you need more direct airflow.

https://smile.amazon.com/Maxboost-Universal-Magnetic-Mounts-Compatible/dp/B01M0GTZDN/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=magnetic+vent+mount&qid=1561656718&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Works great and helps cool the phone too (mounts in the ac vent). It uses a thin metal plate between the back of the phone and the case with a strong magnet in the mount. If I hit a bump hard enough to dislodge it, I have probably damaged my vehicle too!
Those are nifty, however, with Qi wireless charging being standard in basically all majors new phones and fully interchangeable, the metal plate blocks that charging method. There are times I do use a cable, longer trips when car play is needed etc. shorter trips using blue tooth? Why not get a little charge effortless!

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
146 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,358 Posts
I'll +1 on the Magnetic Vent Mount, easy to not mount phone when I want AC, but when navigating, I'm typically also charging, because I'm using Waze, and streaming music so battery is typically getting tagged pretty hard and it keeps phone cool because in the desert rarely do I get in a vehicle that's less than 100°, sometimes upwards of 140° -160°.

@speedlever are those one's ( Maxboost Car Mount, [2 Pack] ) you have experience with? Are they fairly "robust" as I had no issues with my iPhone5, but ever since I got an iPhone7 I'm having difficulty with the extra weight, or maybe mine are just tired.
Amazon says I ordered them back in May 2017. I don't recall the brand names but have bought several (brands) and given a bunch as gifts. Never had any issues with any of them that I'm aware of. My son doesn't use it in his Genesis Coupe because it positions the phone behind the rim of the steering wheel which blocks his view. (personally, I'd still take that vs laying the phone in my lap... but whatever).

Reactions: Carsmak

·
Super Moderator
23,358 Posts
I recommend the Pro-Clip, they are really good! if its in front of the air vent, like my ridgeline mount, you want even notice that, plus the air keeps the phone cool. The stuff is not cheap, but great quality and made in the USA just like our trucks! I bet you can find a You Tube video showing how it installs and looks in your son's car.
i was able to buy one to hold our iPhone 8 plus, and did a bit of checking so it will expand enough for an iPhone Max. It doesn't sag, stays at the angle you put it and allows rotation from horizontal to vertical, so you may be able to move it out of the way if you need more direct airflow.

Those are nifty, however, with Qi wireless charging being standard in basically all majors new phones and fully interchangeable, the metal plate blocks that charging method. There are times I do use a cable, longer trips when car play is needed etc. shorter trips using blue tooth? Why not get a little charge effortless!
That is correct. OTOH, I am not a fan of wireless charging and think it does more harm than good to battery life, so that is not a concern for me. Plus, my current phone doesn't have wireless charging anyway! It has dash charging (Oneplus 3). I generally find that my conventional 4.8A/24W charger plugged into the 12v port with a good USB C cable carries enough current that I typically have to turn off charging on a trip of any length else the phone sits there at 100% charge all the time.

·
Super Moderator
5,454 Posts
We decided to go with the ProClip. Thank you for all the suggestions.
I chose to go with the ProClip also. I previously used a Scosche mount, but I am going with wireless charging for my Pixel 3.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Considering how tricky it is to get a phone to line up correctly on a wireless charging pad sitting on a table, I imagine that you'll be repositioning your phone more often than it is charging. Plugging in a lightning cable is an easy option for now.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
3,856 Posts
Considering how tricky it is to get a phone to line up correctly on a wireless charging pad sitting on a table, I imagine that you'll be repositioning your phone more often than it is charging. Plugging in a lightning cable is an easy option for now.
The wireless charger that I had (still have) had no issue wireless-ly charging my phone while in the holder. Problem was, if you had Pandora in the background and navigation going, it will take a long time to charge that phone.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I bought 2 of these
I use one in my RL and one in my car.
They are excellent, install easily, completely adjustable, and keep the phone at eye level.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I use a proclip in my rl. I use a nite eze vent clamp in rental cars. The clamp is the best of its type I have found.

·
Registered
223 Posts

I don't use one when I drive, but if I did this is the one I'd use . . . . .

·
Registered
26 Posts
My son drives a 2010 Nissan Versa. It's black with black interior, and the AC has trouble keeping up with Houston heat. We are trying to find a phone mount, so he can use his phone as a GPS.

Does anyone have any experience with a suction cup type in a hot climate? A lot of the Amazon reviews I looked at sound like the suction cups don't last in a hot car. What about ProClip USA? Or Arkon seat/floor mounts?

Your advice is appreciated.
I use Proclip, Ram, Arkon and other more secure mounts.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts