Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just traded my 2019 Ridgeline for a 2023. The old one had the dealer-supplied hard folding tonneau cover, but didn’t allow full bed access. Looking for recommendations on a tonneau that allows full access, security not a big issue. Lots of roll-ups available with mixed reviews. Thoughts? TY.

·
Registered
2021 RTL-E, Lunar Silver Metallic
1,025 Posts
Is full access to the trunk important to you. I have the OEM folding and can fully open the trunk by folding forward the rear section. Most covers, hard or soft, restrict how far the trunk can be opened.

You are likely aware the OEM can be removed and reinstalled easily for full bed access.

·
Registered
565 Posts
The North Mountain fully roll-ip cover is cheap, easy-to-install and if carefully mounted, waterproof:

Bed access as pictured.
Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

·
Registered
202 Posts
The North Mountain fully roll-ip cover is cheap, easy-to-install and if carefully mounted, waterproof:

Bed access as pictured. View attachment 430749
What do you mean "if carefully mounted"?
Is it "locked" somehow to the sides of the bed?
How long are you using it? How is the vinyl quality? Would it survive 100 degree summers for 5-6 years?

·
Registered
‘21 RTL - MSM
107 Posts
Highly recommend the Truxedo lo pro. Had this and only changed as I needed security. Great cover, well build and remains tight with very little water penetration

·
Registered
565 Posts
What do you mean "if carefully mounted"?
Is it "locked" somehow to the sides of the bed?
How long are you using it? How is the vinyl quality? Would it survive 100 degree summers for 5-6 years?
You can move the cover rails forward and tighten up the connection at the front of the bed, a major source of water intrusion...often people mount the covers too rearward... Then "lock down the rail brackets for a secure mount.

I live near Orolando and the truck sees significant long term heat but I've only had the cover for two months, the vinyl quality compares to the expensive cover I had on my Tundra if thta helps. That cover is still perfect after 10 years. Its important to treat the cover regualrly with something like Aerospace 303 or similar product.

The trunk lid will open 90% of the way with the cover Unrolled and stay up on its own so there is excellent access even with the bed covered. And yes, when ROLLED Up the entire bed is available for use

·
Super Moderator
2022 Sonic Gray Pearl RTL-E
8,834 Posts
I ordered the Bakflip MX4 a few days ago. May be more than what you are looking for, but does allow for full access to the bed.
I was under the impression that the rails on this tonneau cover prevented the trunk lid from opening fully. But as you say, access to the bed is nearly full with only 6-8 inches at the front being taken up by the cover.

The OP must not have liked the Honda cover because the third section by the rear window does not fold up.

·
Registered
2023 RL Black Edition - White
355 Posts
I was under the impression that the rails on this tonneau cover prevented the trunk lid from opening fully. But as you say, access to the bed is nearly full with only 6-8 inches at the front being taken up by the cover.

The OP must not have liked the Honda cover because the third section by the rear window does not fold up.
There may be that issue with the trunk. I was thinking more about the cover folding up against the rear window.

·
Registered
565 Posts
From what I have read and seen, they all leak to some degree. Had one on a Tundra and while it leaked, it was minimal and kept most of the water out.
Well my North Mountain only had a few small leaks in front and its because of an issue with the bed rail. Up front near the cab the 90* bed rail angle has a flat groove that goes right into the bed compartment, and under most tonneau cover weather strip. Its about as wide as Popsicle stick (almost exactly in fact).

If you take a Popsicle stick and slide it into that groove you will see it goes directly into the bed - a great place for rain to intrude when driving at speed. Taking that same Popsicle stick and use it to push some 3M strip caulk in there will fix the issue and is invisibe. If ou are willing to remove the cover you could put some closed foam weatherstip in there instead.
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Comfort Window
Hood Wood Grey Bumper Sleeve
Automotive tire Grey Automotive design Hood Tints and shades

·
Registered
62 Posts
I bought the Bakflip X4S for my ‘23 RTL-E. I like the finished product but not the challenging installation process, which Security Guy (Larry) gave me live coaching on so I could complete it. My Access tonneau cover was a breeze to install on my 2019.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2022 Sonic Gray Pearl RTL-E
8,834 Posts
I bought the Bakflip X4S for my ‘23 RTL-E. I like the finished product but not the challenging installation process, which Security Guy (Larry) gave me live coaching on so I could complete it. My Access tonneau cover was a breeze to install on my 2019.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was really contemplating getting the X4S, but the install sounds horrible. I assume most of the work is getting everything to line up properly. Be sure you glue down those plastic endcaps, @dlb53151. From the videos I have watched about the cover they tend to fall off after use. Let me know how you like it now that it is installed.

I might have to get Larry’s phone number.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts