Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here installed a dash cam on their new Ridgeline? My RTL-E is coming in either tomorrow or Thursday, so I went ahead and purchased a new dash cam to go with it. I would like to hard wire it, but it would be nice to see if anyone else has done so yet.

Also, since the RTL-E has the auto-high beam feature, I assume that I'll have to be careful about where I place the camera. Is the sensor for the high beams located behind the mirror?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Re: Dash Cam

I didn't install the dash cam. but i did hard wire my V1 radar. red wire is hot and black went with black on my radar. but the funning thing is that the plug has to be plug into the mirror to have power. took me a long time to figure that out. i was testing all the wire with a volt meter. but none of them gave me power b/c the plug wasn't plug into the mirror

·
Registered
933 Posts

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Re: Dash Cam

Has anyone here installed a dash cam on their new Ridgeline? My RTL-E is coming in either tomorrow or Thursday, so I went ahead and purchased a new dash cam to go with it. I would like to hard wire it, but it would be nice to see if anyone else has done so yet.

Also, since the RTL-E has the auto-high beam feature, I assume that I'll have to be careful about where I place the camera. Is the sensor for the high beams located behind the mirror?
Congrats with your E and good luck with it. AFAIK you have 3 options. Tap into the homelink by the mirror, use add a fuse and hard wire to the fuse box or just use the cigarette lighter. On the Accord forum someone did a nice install. I have the wedge dash cam on my Accord using the cigarette lighter method, works great.

Official Dash Camera Thread - Page 5 - Drive Accord Honda Forums

·
Registered
238 Posts
Dash Camera--GoPro type.

I need recommendations for a good/the best camera for my BE. I was backed into yesterday and a camera would have been perfect. It happened so quickly, I didn't have time to even blow my dinky little horn.

New bumper, turn signal light, fog light, and front fascia is in order. The guy that backed in to me had a warrant and he was cuffed and jailed.:surprise:

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Not sure how a camera would stopped that from happening. You were not the backer, you were the backee. Other then your phone to take pictures. After the fact. By Law in CT. You have to have insurance. BUT every time I've been hit the jackass doesn't have any. Ya, he gets a ticket and then my insurance pays. And I get the black check mark in the ins books. Since we have NO VAULT INS. What a joke.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Ouch!
After reading up on cameras I just got a VIOFO A119 and installed it this weekend. Very impresseed with quality for about $100!
I just watched my last trip on the viewer software. WoW! It powers up when the truck comes on and off at shutdown. Looks like I won't need to mess with it much at all, until I want to view.

Here are the complete details (before someone asks):

I mounted it to the Left of the mirror/radar assembly on my RTL-E. I made sure that the camera lens is just below the windshield "dots." It is hardly visable at all from inside or outside of truck. I can't see the unit at all when driving, since it lives behind the mirror. Nor does it block my normal view.
I snaked cable up along the mirror/radar mount and across headliner, then down driver door gasket to the fusebox. I used the empty "Fuse position 30" that I had already tapped for my flashlight.

Make sure that you get the one with the GPS option included. It adds a lot to playback, as it automatically maps your position, speed, etc. The GPS is actually part of the mounting base for the camera.

I had never heard of the company, but I can see how it is so highly rated for the price range.

Here are the parts:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M28B92C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LXC2329/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012PMDSYU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MEI10I4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/Pico-0956PT-...rd_wg=gXivJ&psc=1&refRID=4MGRJ1HC1R5GSGRSMXZD

Hope this isn't TMI, but it may help someone, without picking it out from a 20 page thread!

Enjoy safely!

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Your post caught me while I was finishing up my install. Here are some pictures. Hope this gives you guys some ideas. Note: You can't see the video screen on the unit when driving with this mounting position, but I don't think that you really need to. I do my viewing on my PC at home.

Attachments

·
Registered
238 Posts
Your post caught me while I was finishing up my install. Here are some pictures. Hope this gives you guys some ideas. Note: You can't see the video screen on the unit when driving with this mounting position, but I don't think that you really need to. I do my viewing on my PC at home.
Many thanks ScooterS. I will check it out.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Yeah! More than likely, I wouldn't show the video if it was my fault!
Was he a license driver or driving on a suspended license. That seems to be the case many times. I want to get one of them dash cams myself. Keep saying I am going to get it.
So many bad drivers now if it was my fault would not show it. I think about the accident my nephew had a few years ago. Lady turned across in front of him trying to make left turn either beat changing left turn light.
But she failed to yield right of way of oncoming vehicle.
She left the scene of accident went blocks to her church.
Could not speak English well got people to come out to speak for her.
When I got there before police she was hit dead center right hand side of her car in 2 doors. Nephew had right side front end damage. Police got there speaking to her and nephew. He told her she had to yield for other cars.
But did not do accident report because cars not at scene.
It was down by Washington Monument.
Insurance companies got to argument of this and that she changed her story once she got home and talked-about it with someone.

Reactions: donkeygamer

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
You might not have a choice. Since cameras are becoming common in vehicles, I wouldn't assume that footage won't be asked for and/or seized as evidence.
They would not have any reason or knowledge to ask for any footage from me. Not like I'm a commercial vehicle like city bus. I think they all have cameras now.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
They would not have any reason or knowledge to ask for any footage from me. Not like I'm a commercial vehicle like city bus. I think they all have cameras now.
Okay, carry on! I just know that if I was still a cop, I would certainly look into the possibility that video evidence might be available from vehicles involved in a crash. That is probably just me being old fashioned. It would probably never occur to today's young cops that were born with cell phones in their hands and iPads in their cribs.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Which RL trim line do you have? I have an RTL-E and am curious if the location you recommend would interfere with and of the vehicle's sensors.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Okay, carry on! I just know that if I was still a cop, I would certainly look into the possibility that video evidence might be available from vehicles involved in a crash. That is probably just me being old fashioned. It would probably never occur to today's young cops that were born with cell phones in their hands and iPads in their cribs.
My interest in a dash camera is also related to inappropriate tickets. Had it happen once and although based on my testimony the State's attorney dropped the charge immediately before the trial began I assumed there was a 50:50 chance I would lose. It was going to be my word against the State Trooper's word. I was offered several pre-trial deals to plead guilty (e.g., no points, lower fine, no record, traffic school), but I said "F**k it! This is America and I didn't do it." Ultimately it worked out, but a video and voice recording would have greatly simplified the process.

·
Premium Member
2022 Black Edition [Nov 24, 2021] - Traded 2017 B.E. [Sept 23, 2016]
948 Posts
I have the ddpai m6+. It's a good camera. For the price it is the best, but it has one serious drawback if it is of any concern. I only found out AFTER I bought it that ddPAI is owned by Huawei... which is a Chinese company with ties to the military. And Huawei is known for nefarious software activity. But still their dash cams get raves from those who don't care.

For $106 it is a good price. I might try to find a different one, just due to the Huawei ties.

But on the good side, it has a swivel magnetic base and a wi-fi viewing app. Plus parking mode, which after 5 minutes captures 1 frame per seconds. It also has a remote button that you can place anywhere, when you push it, it will capture high quality still shots diretly to your phone.

The swivel base only swivels 30 degrees, but if you orient it just right on the windshield, you are able to twist it far enough to catch the edge of the driver's window. This type of mount is the best I could find to work around the over-abundance of black dot shading Honda has in the top of the window.

At the moment, I continue to use it... but I have blocked the app from Location, and Cell. And I work around it for the time being. They are replacing it with the M4+ which is black.

Here is the Amazon Link.
https://www.amazon.com/DDPai-M6-plu...578&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=ddpai+m6+plus&psc=1

Attachments

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
As the new owner of a dash cam, and an auto electronics challenged owner, can any forum member suggest an ideal constant-on 12v location to hard wire to for all time power? My impression is the fuse box located to the left of the steering wheel, but what fused location would fit my need? Any help appreciated, as I don't want to deal with the cigarette lighter power source and the trailing power cord up over the dash. Thanks, in advance! :wink:

1 - 20 of 176 Posts