Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
141 - 160 of 176 Posts

·
Administrator
23,172 Posts
What I don't like is the potential to turn every driver on the road into a tax collector. I don't believe tickets should be issued based on dash cam evidence.
If you don't want people to risk people being ticketed because of what your dashcam captures, then simply don't submit footage to anyone with the authority to issue tickets. :)

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
8,253 Posts
If you don't want people to risk people being ticketed because of what your dashcam captures, then simply don't submit footage to anyone with the authority to issue tickets. :)
I was under the impression that a person involved in an vehicular accident could demand the dashcam video (from the other vehicle) be used as evidence in court. In which case having a dashcam in your vehicle might actually be to your detriment, if you were at fault in any way.

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
6,351 Posts
I was under the impression that a person involved in an vehicular accident could demand the dashcam video (from the other vehicle) be used as evidence in court. In which case having a dashcam in your vehicle might actually be to your detriment, if you were at fault in any way.
Unless you forgot to put the card back in... :devilish:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Felony speeding, reckless engagerment, and other alike incidents are reportable to the federal government for prosecution. Cop stands for citizen on patrol. You dont like that I can report to the judge? Stop speeding like you own the whole country and start following the law. There are cameras everywhere now. Get used to it.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Cop does not mean, stand for or has any connection to Citizen on Patrol.
That is 100% false.

And if you say you have never gone faster than any speed limit sign ever, I will call you a liar. It's simple impossible unless you don't actually drive.

Its not self entitlement, it's not arrogance it's not about acting like you own a country, it just is reality...

And I repeat, no one, including you would want to or could even survive in a world where everything you do was judged by some ridiculous set of made up standards.
That's not freedom.

·
Premium Member
2022 RTL-E White/Beige HPD bronze (no decals)
110 Posts
I'm not a lawyer but I know more about this subject than I'd like.

A person in a vehicular accident has no right to the video footage from another citizen's dash camera unless it's introduced as evidence. However, if you are recording a personal interaction without informing the person they are being recorded things could be trickier. The police cannot force you to share video footage without a subpoena or a search warrant, and that usually only happens if they believe the footage contains evidence of a crime. Most vehicle accidents are not "criminal", merely illegal or infractions. Under extreme circumstances the police are allowed to confiscate a camera if they have a reasonable belief that it contains evidence of a crime and that will be destroyed - this is similar to the leeway given law enforcement under a Terry Stop. But even if law enforcement confiscates a camera the footage cannot be viewed until a search warrant is obtained.

A citizen can voluntarily turn over video footage to law enforcement but it's almost impossible for police to issue a ticket or citation based on the footage alone. However, if you submit footage of expired tags or a broken taillight and an officer visits the offender and they witness an old tag or broken light they can then issue a ticket or citation. Speeding or reckless driving footage will only result in a written warning (at most). The written warning can be used to build a stronger case or impose harsher penalties if in the future another instance of the same infraction is witnessed by law enforcement.

I have issues with people that feel it's their duty submit selective footage only of the infractions that upset them, that seems vindictive. But if someone is submitting ALL footage of infractions (no turn signal, failure to come to a complete stop, etc) then I could understand why they'd also submit footage of something that directly affected them. But if someone is reporting all infractions their camera captures that would practically be a full time job. I'd think a person like that is a little crazy, and so would law enforcement.

·
Administrator
23,172 Posts
I've been so pleased with the VIOFO A119S dashcams I've been using for several years that I recommended the brand to a friend. He bought an A129 Pro Duo that I installed for him this past weekend. I liked it so well that I ordered one for myself. I haven't installed it yet - maybe this weekend. I may move the A119S to the Miata if I can figure out where to place it and how to route the wire and power it - those resources are slim in a Miata. ;)

·
Premium Member
2022 RTL-E Crystal Black Pearl
1,417 Posts
I've been so pleased with the VIOFO A119S dashcams I've been using for several years that I recommended the brand to a friend. He bought an A129 Pro Duo that I installed for him this past weekend. I liked it so well that I ordered one for myself. I haven't installed it yet - maybe this weekend. I may move the A119S to the Miata if I can figure out where to place it and how to route the wire and power it - those resources are slim in a Miata. ;)
VIOFO's are great budget cameras indeed.

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Administrator
23,172 Posts
It seems they might be moving upmarket - while my A119S's have been reliable and the build quality adequate, the A129 Pro's build quality is significantly improved. They now have models with 4K, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and three channels.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
8,253 Posts
I love the fact that when your wife comes home, you can pull out the SD card and understand exactly what she is talking about. This is a very wide intersection by our home and invariably drivers turning left will cut the turn too quickly before they are into proper lane, and end up in the lane going in the opposite direction. This driver took corrective action (drove over the median) after he realized his mistake. It would have helped if he had not been talking on his phone prior to turning.

Sky Infrastructure Plant Street light Asphalt

·
Premium Member
2022 RTL-E Crystal Black Pearl
1,417 Posts
I love the fact that when your wife comes home, you can pull out the XD card and understand exactly what she is talking about. This is a very wide intersection by our home and invariably drivers turning left will cut the turn too quickly before they are into proper lane, and end up in the lane going in the opposite direction. This driver took corrective action (drove over the median) after he realized his mistake. It would have helped if he had not been talking on his phone prior to turning.

View attachment 427104
I was almost involved in a low speed head on collision based on this exact same thing.

• Wow

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
24,138 Posts
I've been running the Viofo A119v3 for a couple years in my Ridgeline. Kinda wish I had the dual channel version. Might be time to upgrade before long...

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
8,253 Posts
Wow, only 48 hours and you caught a wild one on your camera. I have the duo-camera setup on my Ridgeline, but have never seen anything like this.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Geez, that is scary stuff. Hope they were ok.

No chance you can slow that front facing video down to get the license plate number can you?

·
Administrator
23,172 Posts
It's just a blur when viewing individual frames. This new dashcam records 4K/60FPS, but I had it set to 1080P/30FPS while using my old 64GB memory card until a new 256GB card arrives tomorrow. Coincidentally, it was a black Sierra crew cab not unlike the one that rear-ended me on my motorcycle a few years ago. :)

The three occupants in the white Ford were okay. Towards the end of the video, you can see where the Sierra ends up completely in the other lane running a third vehicle off the road before finally moving back into his lane.

The Ridgeline handled the avoidance maneuver with confidence and ability.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Finally spent some time to install mine tonight. Was really not too bad at all. Although I think I am done tapping into the fuse box, 😂
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

Two are for the dashcam and the other for the sub amp.

Here is where I mounted looking from the driver's seat. Pretty well obscured from view and centered in the windshield pretty much.
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive mirror Window

141 - 160 of 176 Posts