Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
161 - 176 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Got a Rexing V1 4k. It's a capacitor type. I've had other capacitor modes in the past and they have lived for many years now in all conditions so I'm sold. This Rexing also has WIFI so you can see what's on the screen on your phone once you install the app. The the loop recordings are there as well. Like it. I was going to get a Garmin mini since I don't see much need for a screen on the dash cam anymore but I decided to stay with a capacitor.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
24,138 Posts
Got a Rexing V1 4k. It's a capacitor type. I've had other capacitor modes in the past and they have lived for many years now in all conditions so I'm sold. This Rexing also has WIFI so you can see what's on the screen on your phone once you install the app. The the loop recordings are there as well. Like it. I was going to get a Garmin mini since I don't see much need for a screen on the dash cam anymore but I decided to stay with a capacitor.
I have an old, retired capacitor model that worked fine. The only drawback is they don't work unless the power is on. So unless you hotwire it, it won't do much good to report instances of damage when parked, etc.

Reactions: 14v6

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
I have an old, retired capacitor model that worked fine. The only drawback is they don't work unless the power is on. So unless you hotwire it, it won't do much good to report instances of damage when parked, etc.
Yes, I'm averse to messing with the fuse box on modern cars so I'd have to forego that. Here's something that negates having to run the wire if you have an auto dimming mirror but I doubt it would supply power with the vehicle off.

Also, I'm thinking of using an old dash cam hooking it up to an old Radio Shack Micronita power supply and use it as a home security camera to avoid the subscription fees. I have a ring that the bride gave me for Christmas that's still in the3 box.:(

·
Administrator
23,172 Posts
Here's something that negates having to run the wire if you have an auto dimming mirror but I doubt it would supply power with the vehicle off.

I bought one of those for my Miata and it works great and you are correct.

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
6,351 Posts
Yes, I'm averse to messing with the fuse box on modern cars so I'd have to forego that. Here's something that negates having to run the wire if you have an auto dimming mirror but I doubt it would supply power with the vehicle off.

Also, I'm thinking of using an old dash cam hooking it up to an old Radio Shack Micronita power supply and use it as a home security camera to avoid the subscription fees. I have a ring that the bride gave me for Christmas that's still in the3 box.:(
Ring does not require a subscription unless you want it to record. There are hundreds of wifi cams out there that will record to MicroSD card that don't require a subscription.

I installed an NVR (network video recorder) about 7-8 years ago along with a half dozen PoE (power over ethernet) cameras around the perimeter of the house. All I had to do was run Cat5 between the cams and the NVR box. Installed a 2TB WD Purple HDD and it's been running flawless ever since. It records at least 30 days of decent video for each cam.

Since then, I've gotten a number of wifi cams with microsd cards to cover blind spots and redundancy. Use them to watch wildlife mostly.

·
Premium Member
2022 RTL-E Crystal Black Pearl
1,417 Posts
Ring does not require a subscription unless you want it to record. There are hundreds of wifi cams out there that will record to MicroSD card that don't require a subscription.

I installed an NVR (network video recorder) about 7-8 years ago along with a half dozen PoE (power over ethernet) cameras around the perimeter of the house. All I had to do was run Cat5 between the cams and the NVR box. Installed a 2TB WD Purple HDD and it's been running flawless ever since. It records at least 30 days of decent video for each cam.

Since then, I've gotten a number of wifi cams with microsd cards to cover blind spots and redundancy. Use them to watch wildlife mostly.
OK...I'm confused :unsure: This conversation is about dash cams for CARS/TRUCK...not cameras for your home;)

• Haha
Reactions: Tangotango99

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
Yep, we went off on a tangent.

Now back to your regular topic... :D
Yep, we went off on a tangent.

Now back to your regular topic... :D
As an aside, I have an NVR with 8 high-def 4K cameras and a 6TB drive in my home so I totally get what you're talking about :)

·
Registered
849 Posts
As an aside, I have an NVR with 8 high-def 4K cameras and a 6TB drive in my home so I totally get what you're talking about :)
The best advise I got early on with my home cameras was to buy an NVR with way more channels than you think you will ever need. So I started with an 8 channel NVR with 4 cameras a few years back (thought that would be more than enough) and now have a 16 channel with 13 cameras. Mine are also mainly used as urban wildlife cams, but I cover all doors/gates as well as a couple out front including a PTZ with 20X optical zoom.

Back to the topic at hand, I like my Viofo so much, I picked one up for the Corvette as well. Just need it to cool off a little around here to install it. Also think I need to go back through the settings on the one in the RL to make sure I have it setup like I want it.

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
The best advise I got early on with my home cameras was to buy an NVR with way more channels than you think you will ever need. So I started with an 8 channel NVR with 4 cameras a few years back (thought that would be more than enough) and now have a 16 channel with 13 cameras. Mine are also mainly used as urban wildlife cams, but I cover all doors/gates as well as a couple out front including a PTZ with 20X optical zoom.

Back to the topic at hand, I like my Viofo so much, I picked one up for the Corvette as well. Just need it to cool off a little around here to install it. Also think I need to go back through the settings on the one in the RL to make sure I have it setup like I want it.
If anyone is looking for a commercial grade high-definition camera system for their home, PM me. I will happily sell you top quality equipment that's easy to install at my cost. Don't buy crap cameras and NVRs at Costco, Amazon or on-line.

Now, back to the topic. I installed a A129 Pro Duo 4K in my daughters SUV as a test after having used Blackvue for years without incident. The VIOFO's are "good" cameras...not great when you compare them to a high quality Blackvue or Thinkware. It works fine but is awkward and limited in terms of mounting based on where the cables plug into the unit and it has fat cables that are more difficult to run. If you are on a budget, a VIOFO is a great option. However, for not much more money, you can get a FAR better camera that's easier to install and has more features.

·
Registered
849 Posts
However, for not much more money, you can get a FAR better camera that's easier to install and has more features.
Not sure I would agree that it is a far better camera. More features, sure, but many folks over on dashcamtalk said that video quality was not that much different and many even say Viofo has the best video quality. Plus you can come pretty close to getting 2 Viofo's for the same price as a Blackvue or Thinkwave. For me, cloud connectivity was not important, which seemed to be the biggest feature difference. In any case, you have to figure out what features are important to you.

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
Not sure I would agree that it is a far better camera. More features, sure, but many folks over on dashcamtalk said that video quality was not that much different and many even say Viofo has the best video quality. Plus you can come pretty close to getting 2 Viofo's for the same price as a Blackvue or Thinkwave. For me, cloud connectivity was not important, which seemed to be the biggest feature difference. In any case, you have to figure out what features are important to you.
Agree to disagree my friend.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I tried connecting to the cloud unfortunately I am 5 8 with a 6 foot ladder with hands raised. I failed to connect:unsure:

161 - 176 of 176 Posts