Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past month I purchased a 2008 Ridgeline with 185,000 miles. I am the third owner. It runs a little sluggish at highway speeds but no lights or codes, so I decided to change the Spark Plugs first. While removing the front bank, I noticed the middle coil was heavily stained with a red material, as was the bore through the head. See photos. This stained ignition coil had an extremely strong gasoline odor as well. The only other thing I noticed is that the plug on this cylinder had very little breakaway torque. Any opinions about what could have caused this?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
This seems to be common-ish of the ridge. Plugs backing out. That is a lot of blow by because the plug was loose. Torque the plugs down and check them once a year or so from now on. You got lucky you caught it before it blew out

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This seems to be common-ish of the ridge. Plugs backing out. That is a lot of blow by because the plug was loose. Torque the plugs down and check them once a year or so from now on. You got lucky you caught it before it blew out
Thanks for the Info. The specified torque of 13 foot pounds for the RL seems a bit low. NGK recommends 18-21 foot pounds for that diameter thread (13.8mm) into aluminum.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Yea I torque mine by feel which is usually around 20 lbs you can feel the crush washer crushing and then about a half turn after that. If they were changed more often then I would use a torque wrench.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts