Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My driver seat was giving my back a lot of grief. For some reason the left buttcheek area was worn more than the right so I was sitting at an angle, on long drives it was brutal. I tried to find the foam replacement through honda but they said it was on backorder and $150. So I took apart the seat myself and fixed up the foam myself. It was pretty straightforward I didn't have instructions but took my time and everything came apart easy.

The only special tools you need are a security torx bit to pull the motor tracks from the bracket that bolts to the floor. And a set of hog ring pliers and hog rings. I also fixed up the heated seat element that was starting to come apart. I couldn't find a foam dense enough so I used some carpet underlay that I had lying around, which felt very dense and was thin enough to build up in layers. I just cut to fit the panels on the seat and then used 3m spray adhesive to glue it on. I also put some between the seat foam and the seat pan to build up more support. The foam had gotten way too soft and I was feeling the seat pan through it.

I also built up the side bolster a bit with some regular foam. Then I stuck the heating element back on top of the whole thing and hog ringed the cover back on. It is very easy to do you start from the middle and work outwards. The very edges of the cover use plastic tabs so no need to hog ring there.

You can also test it out by sitting on the foam before the cover goes on, so you can dial in how much you want to add in each area.

Before

Adding panels

After:

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Very nice!! I did notice the left side leather looks a bit looser. Could that be stretched a little more to even out before securing? I may give this a go if mine gets worse. It's not bad at all yet.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Nice work on that seat!

The left side takes a lot of punishment both on entering and leaving the vehicle. What I try to do is take advantage of my side bar and use it to lift me higher in order to plant and land my butt in the center of the seat, rather than have to slide from the left bolster.
Exiting is a little more difficult in that regard.
I doubt I am eliminating the wear problem, but maybe slowing it down some. I suppose you could raise yourself enough even without the bar, but with more effort.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally I had stuffed a lot of foam to bring the bolster up to full height, but it would involve stretching the leather on the left side quite a bit, I was worried because on the left it has two slots cut into the leather to clear these metal tabs built into the frame and I didn't want to tear the leather. The wrinkles in the leather make it look flatter than it is, it is actually slightly fatter than the right side now.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Carrying a wallet might be part of the problem.
Interesting. As I got older I started carrying a wallet only in the front pocket. Some backaches have been related to the 'wallet' also. It can start throwing things out of alignment, and I don't mean wheel alignment. ;)

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E in pewter pacific metallic
2,614 Posts
I "live" in my Ridgeline and my wallet always goes in the console. When I'm in the Ridge it's never in a pocket.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I've looked for the replacement foam and for a 2008 it is something like the $150 you mentioned, but for a 2009 it's only about $70. Are the seats really different?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Nice job on the repair OP. My 2008 needs this work done for sure, but for now I'm just dealing with it. The scope of this looks beyond my capabilities.

AS for "wallet ache", I totally agree. I used to have back/hip aches all the time until I switched to a front-pocket money clip situation. Rarely have issues now.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I've read many stories of people replacing the hog rings with stout zip ties. These give you a little more flexibility when reassemlbing the seat as each can be adjusted ever so slightly as you cinch the upholstery down around the foam. No special pliers needed either.

OP's job looks first rate though!

·
Registered
208 Posts
This is very interesting.......

My 2013 Sport only has about 30k miles but I do wish the center of the seat had more padding. I'm 6-2, 260 and it just feels a bit too "dished" for my ol' body such that I notice pressure from the side bolsters. My 2008 RTX was the same. It's certainly not terrible, but I think a bit more padding would increase my comfort. Oddly, I don't notice the same "thinness" when I occasionally ride in the passenger seat.

Obviously my Sport's seats are cloth not leather, but I may give this a try. Any reason I shouldn't? Years ago I successfully "rebuilt" the seat in my brand new Tacoma because of comfort/back pain issues.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
it's strange cause I never keep my wallet in my back pocket, that would destroy my back in any chair. I'm going to be taking the cover off again and shaving the foam edges down/beveling them at a 45. Strangely I could not feel them without the cover on but now I notice on long drives. The support is great though I am no longer sinking down in the seat.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Well, I'm finally going to actually DO something about my failing driver's seat as well. Mine only has failed on the left side bolster area.... and really only the foam has given up.... the leather still looks OK.

So what I've decided to do is order the foam for that seat (bottom only), and try for some diy magic (crossing fingers) by doing the remove/replace of existing leather cover myself. I'll get some pics & let you all know how it goes, so far as improvement from new foam only. I discussed with a local upholstery shop, and he advised it's better to get the foam from OEM & let him do it that way vs. trying to cobble together replacement blocks (he said the old stuff really can't be glued to, so using the "still good" sections would be difficult to add to). Stand by for more on this, and Thanks to those who have shared their experiences to date, including those here:
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22040&highlight=leather+seats
I'm expecting to find similar foam breakdown as found on that other post.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Twowheeled,
Do you have photos to go along with the post about upholstery replacement/repair on the drivers seat?
I might have missed something to click on that would take me to any photos that you may have included but I didn't see anything like that.
Thank you for the information the text is helpful but additional photos would be great.
Thank you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts